TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
tomhorsley

Amazon Fire TV

So, I guess amazon streaming on TiVo is now totally out of the picture.

Amazon wants you to buy a FireTV box from them (why it is a giant box and not an HDMI dongle, I don't know).
tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
jjd416

Amazon's offering is a good one, but they are a little late to the table. I doubt they will abandon current platforms and would still benefit by adding additional platforms. My fingers are still crossed for an updated TiVo interface, but I realize it isn't likely.
jjd416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
why it is a giant box and not an HDMI dongle, I don't know.
I'd hardly call it a "giant box", but it's probably so it can have more memory and a more powerful processor to support things like gaming, and so it can be used without a smartphone or tablet for those of us who still prefer using a remote. They can always come out with a dongle version later, the way Roku has.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
TrooperOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
So, I guess amazon streaming on TiVo is now totally out of the picture.

Amazon wants you to buy a FireTV box from them (why it is a giant box and not an HDMI dongle, I don't know).
Its actually pretty small. Also houses a quad core CPU and 2GB of Ram, and a bunch of ports on the back. So yeah.
TrooperOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Fist of Death
Bon Vivant

I can't see any compelling reason to ditch my TiVo + Roku 3 combo...
Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Death View Post
I can't see any compelling reason to ditch my TiVo + Roku 3 combo...
There isn't really. I have a Roku 3 and it is great. But if I didn't yet have a Roku and was in the market for a streaming media player, I would give serious consideration to this new device. You can see a comparison chart between FireTV, Roku3, Apple TV, and Chromecast on the Amazon FireTV page.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
There isn't really. I have a Roku 3 and it is great. But if I didn't yet have a Roku and was in the market for a streaming media player, I would give serious consideration to this new device. You can see a comparison chart between FireTV, Roku3, Apple TV, and Chromecast on the Amazon FireTV page.
The only benefit I see is that the Fire TV has voice search and has better game support than the Roku 3. Roku has more channels though. I'm not sure either is way ahead of the other at this point but it seems the Fire TV is more of a competitor to Roku than any other box.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The only benefit I see is that the Fire TV has voice search and has better game support than the Roku 3. Roku has more channels though. I'm not sure either is way ahead of the other at this point but it seems the Fire TV is more of a competitor to Roku than any other box.
Apple better get off their butts and do something. Both Roku and Amazon now have a better product than Apple TV. Hell, even my Samsung Smart TV is better than Apple TV now.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
TrooperOrange

Quote:
Apple better get off their butts and do something. Both Roku and Amazon now have a better product than Apple TV. Hell, even my Samsung Smart TV is better than Apple TV now.
You aren't kidding about that. The only thing I can see that Fire TV is missing is HBOGo, which I imagine would come down the pipe at some point.

Apple is woefully behind, perhaps all the competition will spur them into some innovation. Of course they have always viewed Apple TV as a pet project right?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Apple TV has Airplay. That's probably all they really need to be successful and it's the one reason I'll always have one. Occasionally I watch a Movie with my ATV, but I find the controls to be too limited for the sake of being simple. I'd far rather watch stuff on my TiVo with 30 second skip, instant replay, etc.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
gweempose

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperOrange View Post
You aren't kidding about that. The only thing I can see that Fire TV is missing is HBOGo ...
HBO GO is literally the only reason I own an Apple TV. I much prefer my Roku 3, but Comcast won't allow me to access HBO and Showtime through it.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
gweempose

I just looked at the Fire TV page. Those are some damn impressive specs. I'm a little concerned that there doesn't appear to be a way to control it with a 3rd party IR remote. That would be a deal breaker for me, as I like to control my entire A/V system from one remote. It does have a USB port, though, so I assume that could potentially be used for an RF receiver.
(3) Minis

Old 04-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
TrooperOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I just looked at the Fire TV page. Those are some damn impressive specs. I'm a little concerned that there doesn't appear to be a way to control it with a 3rd party IR remote. That would be a deal breaker for me, as I like to control my entire A/V system from one remote. It does have a USB port, though, so I assume that could potentially be used for an RF receiver.
Logitech makes a bluetooth remote thingy, the Fire TV is bluetooth, wonder if that would work?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
TrooperOrange

Quote:
HBO GO is literally the only reason I own an Apple TV. I much prefer my Roku 3, but Comcast won't allow me to access HBO and Showtime through it.
That is one of my huge pet peeves, when an app exists, the comcast isn't on the list of supported providers. Major WTF, happened with HBOGo on the PS 3 as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperOrange View Post
You aren't kidding about that. The only thing I can see that Fire TV is missing is HBOGo, which I imagine would come down the pipe at some point.

Apple is woefully behind, perhaps all the competition will spur them into some innovation. Of course they have always viewed Apple TV as a pet project right?
Apple clone. Optical out? Apple clone. This is trying to be a Roku killer if anything but my guess is Amazon has something with pricing plans for content up their sleeve. A $99.00 box at this point doesn't add up.
Apple TV has home sharing, behind I think not.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

This is trying to be a Roku killer if anything, but my guess is Amazon has something with pricing plans for content up their sleeve. A $99.00 box at this point doesn't add up.
I agree. The price point seems off. I suspect Amazon will start giving these away free with new Prime memberships. They are probably going after Netflix more than they are going after Roku.
(3) Minis

Old 04-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
atmuscarella

Quote:
A $99.00 box at this point doesn't add up.
Lets see Apple TV $99, Roku 3 $99, Amazon Fire TV $99. Amazon is selling significantly better hardware with more abilities at the same price as Roku or Apple. Sounds like it adds up to me.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #18
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Lets see Apple TV $99, Roku 3 $99, Amazon Fire TV $99. Amazon is selling significantly better hardware with more abilities at the same price as Roku or Apple. Sounds like it adds up to me.
$99 still seems like a pretty high price point for most people. Roku's entry level players are only $49. The Chromecast is only $35.
(3) Minis

Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
jcthorne

The hardware specs are pretty impressive for a streamer box but,,, with all that muscle they are very short on codec support and does not play local files at all. It could have easily run circles around the WDTV boxes but falls very short in the software area.

Tivo may still get better Amazon support. They want their content in front of customers. Hopeful anyway.

At this point, its ehh, not something I need or even want to play with.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #20
Bigg

First off, I'm glad they put an Ethernet port on the thing. The Chromecast is a useless piece of plastic if your 2.4ghz channels are all jammed up, as there's no way to hard wire it. Roku and Apple TV both have Ethernet, so Chromecast is the odd man out there.

It looks mostly redundant to Roku, although the gaming could be interesting, and they have some serious hardware under the hood. I might get one of these things next time I move (and rebuilt my HT setup, third time should be a charm), although that and a Chromecast would be my 9th and 10th HDMI devices, in addition to analog, so it might put me over the edge HDMI switch wise...

I don't really see it competing with Apple TV, unless you're looking at it from an ecosystem perspective. Apple TV is really an accessory for the iPad, Chromcast for an Android phone or tablet, while this is more like a standalone device like Roku, although it can act as an accessory for the Kindle Fire line.

I like RF remotes, although Roku has one too. But I'm still a little doubtful that I really need 3 or 4 devices with Amazon Prime, and 10 or 11 (??) devices that support Netflix... I'll probably get one anyways just to play with it...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #21
atmuscarella

Quote:
$99 still seems like a pretty high price point for most people. Roku's entry level players are only $49. The Chromecast is only $35.
You are correct if this was an entry level product, which it clearly isn't. It appears to me that Amazon has decided to go with a high end streaming device that can also be a gaming device on par with smart phones and tablets but designed for TVs. Given how popular gaming on smart phones & tablets has become there appears to be some logic in that. Given the specs of this device I am almost 100% certain Amazon has more features coming.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #22
monkeydust

We've had Amazon Prime for years but rarely watch any instant shows though it due to the requirement for us to switch the video to another device to watch it (PS3 or Samsung Smart TV) and switch the AV to match.

My family uses the crappy Netflix app on our Elite just because of convenience of not having to get out other remotes to switch to the PS3.

Last edited by monkeydust : 04-03-2014 at 05:36 AM.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #23
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Hardware doesn't equal a better picture, the horsepower seems to used for a search for the lazy and games. As always with streaming connection quality and speed make the difference something the industry loves to dance around.
Since most is of this tech is being built into TV's I wonder where the market is. Most people who are interested in streaming have a device(s) already, and for many of the rest this stuff will never be simple enough for them.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #24
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Apple TV has Airplay. That's probably all they really need to be successful and it's the one reason I'll always have one. Occasionally I watch a Movie with my ATV, but I find the controls to be too limited for the sake of being simple. I'd far rather watch stuff on my TiVo with 30 second skip, instant replay, etc.
Depending on one's need, you can kill a few birds with one stone going with an Android box or stick and do a lot more. We have an Android box that caters to Chinese content. I installed an Airplay/DLNA receiver app in it. My Ipad Air can see it and we can airplay to it and it works very well. Our android tablets can see it as well via the DLNA side.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #25
atmuscarella

Quote:
Hardware doesn't equal a better picture, the horsepower seems to used for a search for the lazy and games. As always with streaming connection quality and speed make the difference something the industry loves to dance around.
Since most is of this tech is being built into TV's I wonder where the market is. Most people who are interested in streaming have a device(s) already, and for many of the rest this stuff will never be simple enough for them.
No disagreement with the internet connection being central for any streaming device. However I have had multiple Rokus and streaming devices from Netgear, Western digital, & Logitech and I can tell you hardware matters.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Hardware doesn't equal a better picture, the horsepower seems to used for a search for the lazy
It's not just a 'search for the lazy'. Watch the Amazon Gary Busey video for the Fire (pretty funny IMO) and you'll see who they're pitching voice search to.

Pretty compelling feature for some, IMO.

Agree that without DLNA or local video support it is limited, but this is before anyone has started hacking on it. With the hardware specs for the price alone it's a compelling target.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #27
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post

We've had Amazon Prime for years but rarely watch any instant shows though it due to the requirement for us to switch the video to another device to watch it (PS3 or Samsung Smart TV) and switch the AV to match.

My family uses the crappy Netflix app on our Elite just because of convenience of not having to get out other remotes to switch to the PS3.
Your family would probably benefit greatly from a universal remote running macros. I have a ton of devices hooked up to my home theater, but they can all be accessed via a single button press on my remote. For example, if my son wants to watch TV, he just presses "TiVo". If my daughter wants to play a video game, she just presses "Wii U". All of the powering on of the devices and input switching is done automatically, and requires absolutely no expertise from the user.

Sorry to veer off topic, but you touched on a subject that I'm very passionate about.
(3) Minis

Old 04-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #28
tarheelblue32

Amazon should have made it capable of outputting 4k content rather than just the standard 1080p. It would have made it first to market with a 4k streaming media player. I know, I know, there isn't much 4k streaming content available and most people don't have 4k TVs yet, but it would have been a "future proofing" selling feature that would have made a lot of people more willing to buy yet another streaming media device.

Anyone want to guess on when Amazon will come out with an Amazon Fire Smartphone?
Old 04-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #29
HarperVision

Quote:
Amazon should have made it capable of outputting 4k content rather than just the standard 1080p. It would have made it first to market with a 4k streaming media player. I know, I know, there isn't much 4k streaming content available and most people don't have 4k TVs yet, but it would have been a "future proofing" selling feature that would have made a lot of people more willing to buy yet another streaming media device. Anyone want to guess on when Amazon will come out with an Amazon Fire Smartphone?
Sony already has a 4K streamer.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #30
Bigg

Quote:
Your family would probably benefit greatly from a universal remote running macros.
Jesus, Americans are getting lazy. It's not that hard to pick up the video scaler/AVR remote, select another input, and then pick up the device remote.

4k would be way too expensive hardware wise.

Remember when the first streaming devices were $300 and everyone was looking toward the $99 streamer, and that price point would be amazing. Now everyone is whining about $99. It's funny.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is online now   Reply With Quote