TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
TexasGrillChef

Subtitles/Closed Captioning

I am not very good with search engines. Sorry...

I remember a while back.... a year or more. A discussion about subtitles and closed captioning. I have just been unable to find those threads.

I have 2 things I am trying to achieve.

1. I have MPG/MKV/MP4 files, where I have SRT subtitle .txt files. When I transfer them to the TiVo, either via my NAS server, or pyTiVo, or even with TD+ they don't transfer and I can't get my subtitles/CC on the TiVo

2. If I transfer a TiVo recorded show to my computer. I am unable to demux the Closed captioning from the TiVo file, Even if I use TiVo decoder and convert to MPG. (I Do this, because I have another TiVo at my cabin, And it has a different MAK id, so saving a TiVo file to my laptop, still won't allow me to watch it on my Cabin's TiVo, that's why the conversion to MPG)

I do know and do have a couple of programs that will "Hard Code" the subtitles/CC onto the video track. Problem is that can't be turned on & off. And while I like it. My wife and kids do not! LOL

I do understand that there is a tech difference between subtitles used on DVD's/Blu-rays, and closed captioning used in broadcast shows.

Any ideas on how to achieve my goals of getting subtitles/CC on video that I transfer to my TiVo? Using either my NAS TiVo server, pyTiVo, or TD+?

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
squint

1) Subtitles can be embedded in .mkv files but your playback device doesn't support that feature or use of a separate subtitle source such as .srt files.

2) It's been awhile since I messed with .tivo to .mpg conversions so I don't remember if CC data was preserved. I seem to recall that CC data was preserved but am not positive. Are you using VideoRedo?

Quote:
Any ideas on how to achieve my goals of getting subtitles/CC on video that I transfer to my TiVo? Using either my NAS TiVo server, pyTiVo, or TD+?
As far as I know, only certain commercial MPEG encoders can create CC streams.

One option might be to do what I did and get wireless headphones. You can make out dialogue much better with headphones so that CC is no longer needed.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef View Post
I am not very good with search engines. Sorry...

I remember a while back.... a year or more. A discussion about subtitles and closed captioning. I have just been unable to find those threads.

I have 2 things I am trying to achieve.

Quote:
1. I have MPG/MKV/MP4 files, where I have SRT subtitle .txt files. When I transfer them to the TiVo, either via my NAS server, or pyTiVo, or even with TD+ they don't transfer and I can't get my subtitles/CC on the TiVo
There is a way to get pyTivo to process subtitle files "on the fly" by adding an entry to the metadata file. See this thread in the sourceforge pyTivo forum. Unfortunately, it converts them to hard coded "open" captions.

Streambaby also supports subtitles.

Quote:
2. If I transfer a TiVo recorded show to my computer. I am unable to demux the Closed captioning from the TiVo file, Even if I use TiVo decoder and convert to MPG. (I Do this, because I have another TiVo at my cabin, And it has a different MAK id, so saving a TiVo file to my laptop, still won't allow me to watch it on my Cabin's TiVo, that's why the conversion to MPG)
If you transfer them in "TS" mode and use VideoReDo for the conversion, the closed captions will be retained, even if you convert them to h.264.

I do have a question, however. Why are the two TiVos on different accounts? Are they both on monthly?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
1) Subtitles can be embedded in .mkv files but your playback device doesn't support that feature or use of a separate subtitle source such as .srt files.
All of my MKV files do have the Subtitles inside the MKV file. And while my NAS TiVo Server doesn't recognize MKV files for the TiVo, PyTiVo does, and it will send MKV files to the TiVo to play, and they work just fine. Just no Subtitles. Which is what I want.

Quote:
2) It's been awhile since I messed with .tivo to .mpg conversions so I don't remember if CC data was preserved. I seem to recall that CC data was preserved but am not positive. Are you using VideoRedo?
No I am using TiVo Decode. Didn't want to pay the price for VideoRedo and at one time it didn't support HD, I am assuming now it does?

Quote:
As far as I know, only certain commercial MPEG encoders can create CC streams.

One option might be to do what I did and get wireless headphones. You can make out dialogue much better with headphones so that CC is no longer needed.
Its and idea, and I could hook the headphones up to the Center Channel only, which is the voice track 95% of time. Still not what I am wanting though.

TGC
Old 04-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I do have a question, however. Why are the two TiVos on different accounts? Are they both on monthly?
I have 3 TiVo's at home which are hooked up to Time Warner Cable.

I have 2 TiVo's at my cabin, One is Q provided by suddenlink the other is a Romio that I bought. I have the Q so I can watch PPV and VOD provided by suddenlink.

As a result, It requires two different TiVo accounts and thus two different MAK's.... Which is a royal PITA.

What I currently do, is convert the TiVo files to MPG's, save them to a portable hard drive. Then when I get to the cabin, I fire up the computer there, plug in the USB portable hard drive. And then use PyTiVo to transfer them to the Tivo's

TGC
Old 04-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
All of my MKV files do have the Subtitles inside the MKV file. And while my NAS TiVo Server doesn't recognize MKV files for the TiVo, PyTiVo does, and it will send MKV files to the TiVo to play, and they work just fine. Just no Subtitles. Which is what I want.
The problem, as was previously pointed out, the TiVo does not support subtitles, only cc. I use VideoReDo to create h.264 mkvs or mp4s and, if the source has cc, so does the recoded file.

Quote:
No I am using TiVo Decode. Didn't want to pay the price for VideoRedo and at one time it didn't support HD, I am assuming now it does?
Yes, it does. Plus it is not necessary to decrypt prior to editing/recoding.

Quote:
Its and idea, and I could hook the headphones up to the Center Channel only, which is the voice track 95% of time. Still not what I am wanting though.
I use wireless headphones at one of my viewing locations but still like cc, particularly with British stuff. Plus it is a source of amusement at times when the transcription is so egregiously wrong.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
squint

Quote:
http://www.telestream.net/captioning/store.asp

http://synchrimedia.blogspot.com/201...ovies-for.html

Last edited by squint : 04-15-2014 at 09:16 AM.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote