TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
minkeygirl

What's the easiest way to get a dual Tuner function

With the onset of digital with TWC, my Series 2 DT, is only single tuner now. My TV watching needs are simple. I just want to be able to record on one channel and watch on another. I don't even need HD.

I'm finding there is no way to adapt my Series 2 so I'm wondering what my options are. I could get another Series 2 and use that but then wouldn't it be a programming nightmare since they wouldn't talk to each other?

I don't really understand how cable cards work. Do I need a cable card with Series 3? Do I need one card or 2? Is S-cards single tuner and M-dual?

Can someone explain this to me really dumbed down.
minkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkeygirl View Post
With the onset of digital with TWC, my Series 2 DT, is only single tuner now. My TV watching needs are simple. I just want to be able to record on one channel and watch on another. I don't even need HD.

I'm finding there is no way to adapt my Series 2 so I'm wondering what my options are. I could get another Series 2 and use that but then wouldn't it be a programming nightmare since they wouldn't talk to each other?

I don't really understand how cable cards work. Do I need a cable card with Series 3? Do I need one card or 2? Is S-cards single tuner and M-dual?

What kind of TV do you have? Your simplest and cheapest option would be to watch live TV on another input that your Tivo isn't using, as long as you just want to record one channel at a time.
WO312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
mattack

You need one 'M' Card with any of the currently available Tivos. Only the ORIGINAL OLED screen Series 3 required 2 cards, *regardless of type*.

But I suggest you get one of the currently available ones, Roamios, just because they're the ones currently supported. The lowest one is 4 tuner, *EITHER* OTA or cable. Since you have cable, you'd use it with a cable card. The higher 2 can do 6 tuners.

You may THINK that is more than you need, but it's really helpful to have more tuners to deal with overlap in shows.

So unless you can get a really good deal on a used lifetime subscription Tivo, buying the "current" one is the best... and I say that as someone who likes some features of the older ones BETTER than the Roamio...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The simpliest way is to upgrade, Series 2 is quite outdated and only record in analog whereas TV is digital nowadays. OTA (antenna) has transitioned over some years ago and cable companies are/has moved to digital.

Cable cards are used by cable companies to decrypt the signals/streams coming through. S-Card is for a single stream and are outdated. M-card allows multiple streams as many as 6 (or more) at once.

Roamio records 4-6 channels at once. Basic Roamio model records 4 channels (cable or OTA, not both at same time), Plus and Pro records 6 only from digital cable.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
malachor

I'm guessing you subscribe to a cable service but depending on budget you have a few options.

200$ - The most expensive option but will provide the most features and options is it upgrade to a Roamio

75/125$ - You could also upgrade to the Premiere, while technically discontinued the ability to record 4 channels it will only set you back 125$

5$ - Get a cheap tuner from your cable company and switch inputs on your tv
malachor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
minkeygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachor View Post
I'm guessing you subscribe to a cable service but depending on budget you have a few options.

200$ - The most expensive option but will provide the most features and options is it upgrade to a Roamio

75/125$ - You could also upgrade to the Premiere, while technically discontinued the ability to record 4 channels it will only set you back 125$

5$ - Get a cheap tuner from your cable company and switch inputs on your tv

Money is an issue for me. I can buy a Series 3 with lifetime on ebay for about $200 but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Because then I'd have to pay more money to TWC for the cable card. To buy a Premiere and then pay monthly fees is just no feasible and Lifetime is too much.

I was trying to figure out how to change the input from the coaxial to a format that my analog tuner can use but just don't know enough to do it. I saw some tuners that change digital to analog but it says from an antenna. Is that the same? Would I get all the channels?

Can you explain (dumb it down please) about tuners? Thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
buscuitboy

making a S2 a 1.5 tuner DVR

Quote:

I'm finding there is no way to adapt my Series 2 so I'm wondering what my options are.
I went through something similar with Comcast. However, what I was able to do at first was use one of the Series 2 tuners for local analog channels (coax straight from wall) and one tuner for the digital box (using the RCA inputs on the TiVo S2). I liked to call this a 1.5 tuner DVR

It therefore would allow me to record any local channels and then watch ANY other cable channels (via the box) at the same time. If you wanted to record a digital cable channel (via the box), then you could also watch a local analog channel as well.

I know, kind of a half-ass solution, but maybe this could fit your needs for now. Also, I am not sure how much your TW area is going digital so this may not be an option. If ALL channels (locals and cable networks) are going digital and need a box, then this can't be done. At the time I did it, Comcast went all digital except for my local channels. They were still analog so this allowed me to go directly from the wall jack into my Series 2 and still get some channels via a basic method. Again, not the best option, but it may be worth trying for you & looking into. It doesn't cost anything either Oh, you would also have to go through the TiVo setup guide again as well. Would have to program the TiVo to tell it what each tuner is being used with.

Also, I think my Comcast cable eventually went to ALL digital at some point in the future. Not sure as I wound up selling this S2 (lifetime) TiVo & got some Series 3/Premieres with cable cards. So, even if TW doesn't go all digital in your area for now, this idea could essentially be a temporary fix.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 04-09-2014 at 11:35 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
minkeygirl

[quote=buscuitboy;10069593]I went through something similar with Comcast. However, what I was able to do at first was use one of the Series 2 tuners for local analog channels (coax straight from wall) and one tuner for the digital box (using the RCA inputs on the TiVo S2). I liked to call this a 1.5 tuner DVR

This is how I have it set up now. But when TWC went digital, I was unable to see any of the local channels so I had to switch to digital

So is there something I have to change? What about getting one of the converter they gave to people who don't have a box and just get local channels?

That would help me a lot and would be a great solution.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
tatergator1

There is only one way I can think of to make it work, but it would have its limitations. You would need a two-way coax splitter. You'd attach that to the line coming from the wall. From the splitter, one line would go to your Cable Box and you would leave the Series 2 DT attached to your cable box as is to record the one channel at a time you are already able to. For Live TV, you would take the second line from the splitter and run it to a second, cheaper converter (often called a DTA (Digital Transport Adapter)) from TWC which you would attach to the coax port on the back of your Tivo. Those converter boxes are designed to take the digital signal for whatever channel you want to watch, and convert it to analog channel 3. This would be your "Live TV only" tuner. For Live TV, you would tune to Channel 3 on the Tivo, and then use the remote for the DTA to select which channel you actually want to see on the Tivo.

In the Channel List on the Tivo for this setup, you would assign all channels except Channel 3 to the Box; channel 3 would be assigned as if it were normal analog cable. This would give you trick-play and the 30 minute buffer. Based on my understanding of the DTA's this should work. It's not very elegant, but should allow you to automatically record one channel, while manually selecting another channel to watch Live.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
minkeygirl

My brain just melted! I get what you are suggesting but boy that would be a pain with remembering what remote to what channel.

Another thought I had was to just get another series 2. that would be complicated too but it doesn't seem as complicated as what you have said.

I actually contacted Tivo Support about this. I was told I had to have 2 remotes to do that, but I don't know why.

Is that something that would work?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
tarheelblue32

Your main problem here is that you are trying to hold on to antiquated technology, both the Series 2 and your old analog TV. I certainly understand that your financial situation might make upgrading to a digital TV and a digital DVR could be prohibitively expensive, but holding on to the old technology is going to be increasingly difficult. How much of the shows you watch are OTA and how much are cable only channels? Maybe you could cut the cord with Time Warner for 6 months or so and use that savings to buy a cheap HDTV and indoor antenna. You could watch network shows on your TV and just stream any cable-only shows you like over the internet.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
tatergator1

Quote:
My brain just melted! I get what you are suggesting but boy that would be a pain with remembering what remote to what channel.

Another thought I had was to just get another series 2. that would be complicated too but it doesn't seem as complicated as what you have said.

I actually contacted Tivo Support about this. I was told I had to have 2 remotes to do that, but I don't know why.

Is that something that would work?
For a second Series 2, you would need a second cable box.

By default, any Tivo remote will control any Tivo that receives the IR signal. You can still use a Series 2 Tivo remote to operate a brand new Roamio.

You could control the two Tivos in the same room with one Tivo remote, but it has to be a Tivo remote with a 1/2 switch on the remote.

).

You'd have to spend time setting it up so that the Switch in Position 1 would control one Tivo, and the Switch in Position 2 would control the other. There would also be the issue of how you would display the output from two Tivo's on your TV. You'd likely have to not only move the switch on the remote, but also switch the TV input when you wanted to change to the second Tivo.

I know this is complicated, but you're trying to do something that a Series 2 was never intended to do, so any work-around is going to be inconvenient.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
minkeygirl

I do have that remote but getting a second box is not an option (I refuse to give TWC more of my money).

I guess I didn't realize how complicated this is so I may not be able to do what I want with what I got!

I could get a 2nd series 2 for my bedroom. That would work. It'd be easier to just go in there to watch something than screw around like you say.

Back to what someone Buscuit boy said, he seems to be able to do it and I'm set up like he is so I just need to understand how he is doing it. It's a perfect solution for me.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
tatergator1

Quote:
I do have that remote but getting a second box is not an option (I refuse to give TWC more of my money).

I guess I didn't realize how complicated this is so I may not be able to do what I want with what I got!

I could get a 2nd series 2 for my bedroom. That would work. It'd be easier to just go in there to watch something than screw around like you say.

Back to what someone Buscuit boy said, he seems to be able to do it and I'm set up like he is so I just need to understand how he is doing it. It's a perfect solution for me.

Thanks for the help.
buscuitboy's setup doesn't apply to you anymore. He still has some Analog channels; you're all digital now.

If you got a second Series 2 for the bedroom, you'd still need another box of some sort from TWC to make that work.

There's no easy way to do 2 tuners using Series 2 Tivo's on a cable system that is entirely Digital.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #15
jrtroo
User

I would suggest getting a lifetime Tivo HD model with a cablecard. If you then return the calbe box you should not be paying any more for cable service and then get a single two-tuner box with only one card necessary.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I would suggest getting a lifetime Tivo HD model with a cablecard. If you then return the calbe box you should not be paying any more for cable service and then get a single two-tuner box with only one card necessary.
+1. This will cost you ~$200 up front, but if you return the TWC cable box for a CableCard, you should save nearly $8 per month (TWC Cable Box ~$10-$11, CableCard $2.50). In terms of what you're used to with the Series 2 DT, the menus will be basically identical, and you'll be back to the 2-tuner experience you were used to with TWC and Analog cable.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
worachj

Quote:

So is there something I have to change? What about getting one of the converter they gave to people who don't have a box and just get local channels?
You can still use your S2 if you can get a Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) or a cable box from your Cable Company. Here’s how to set up an S2 with digital channels.

How do I set up my Series2 Dual Tuner when all my channels are digital?
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...gital%20switch

How do I set up my Series2 DVR with a Digital Transport Adapter?
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1277
Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
jrtroo
User

The OP already did that, they are looking to get back to two tuners...
Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
worachj

It’s not clear to me what the OP wants.

She lost analog. Rerunning Guided setup as digital only will allow her S2 to work as a single tuner recorder. I would think her local stations would be viewable through a DTA or cable box. She just won't have dual tuner ability.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
It’s not clear to me what the OP wants.

She lost analog. Rerunning Guided setup as digital only will allow her S2 to work as a single tuner recorder. I would think her local stations would be viewable through a DTA or cable box. She just won't have dual tuner ability.
She is already running the S2 DT as single tuner box connected to her Cable Box. That's why she posted, she was hoping for some sort of hack to get her dual-tuner back on a digital-only cable system.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #21
mattack

Quote:
I was trying to figure out how to change the input from the coaxial to a format that my analog tuner can use but just don't know enough to do it. I saw some tuners that change digital to analog but it says from an antenna. Is that the same? Would I get all the channels?
That's EXACTLY what a Tivo does when controlling a cable box.. But you only ever get ONE tuner that way.

You really need a Tivo with a cable card..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #22
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
buscuitboy's setup doesn't apply to you anymore. He still has some Analog channels; you're all digital now.
Yea, if your TW is ALL digital & basically requires some sort of box for all the channels, then what I suggested earlier will not work at all and is not an option. Sorry to hear that. Like I said, I was really just buying time when it happen to me as I think Comcast in my area wound up doing the same thing and went ALL digital in the future as well (I moved on to a Series 3 anyway).
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
+1. This will cost you ~$200 up front, but if you return the TWC cable box for a CableCard, you should save nearly $8 per month (TWC Cable Box ~$10-$11, CableCard $2.50). In terms of what you're used to with the Series 2 DT, the menus will be basically identical, and you'll be back to the 2-tuner experience you were used to with TWC and Analog cable.
I'll add another vote to this as a solution. It has the added bonus that if you decide to drop cable, you can use the tivo as a 2 tuner over the air tuner and video recorder.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #24
unitron

Quote:

What city are you in or near?

Is that S2 DT lifetimed?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #25
Bigg

With a Lifetimed Series 3, you'd end up not paying for the box, as well as getting a credit for the user-owned equipment.

The above posters who have said that holding on to old technology is just going to get tougher are right. We live in an HD, all-digital world. Today's DVRs are made for that world, and work well in it. Older equipment is obsolete, and there's no practical way to continue supporting it.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #26
shwru980r

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
This second S2 in the bedroom is the cheapest option. Even if both S2s are recording, you can still watch the recorded shows on either S2 and transfer the shows back and forth freely.

You should rethink your rationale for wanting to watch live TV. One of the main reasons for owning a Tivo is so you don't have to watch live TV.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #27
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
This second S2 in the bedroom is the cheapest option. Even if both S2s are recording, you can still watch the recorded shows on either S2 and transfer the shows back and forth freely.

You should rethink your rationale for wanting to watch live TV. One of the main reasons for owning a Tivo is so you don't have to watch live TV.
Sports? Although without HD sports would really suck. Actually, anything on TV would suck. There really is no point to cable in this day in age without HD.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote