TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

What is a good converter for AVI2 Files (OpenDML)

I'm converting my HD camcorder home movies so that I can upload them to my TiVo, the catch is the capturing SW I have saves them in AVI2 format which after searching there appears to be several programs for the mac but I need something for Windows. My old camera has HDMI out so I'm using a Black Magic capture card so to maintain the best quality.

Works great but the video format is awkward to work with and now need something to convert them to h.654, MPEG or any other format that will maintain the best quality while making the video files size more manageable, 15 minutes of captured video is 6.7Gb which while disk space is cheap, I have tons of HD content to convert.

Thank you for any suggestions!
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo use Mpeg2 (.MPG), MP4 (h.264), audio AC3. Also .mkv works, as well as .vob as in DVDs.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Tivo use Mpeg2 (.MPG), MP4 (h.264), audio AC3. Also .mkv works, as well as .vob as in DVDs.
Yes that I know, but what is good converter for AVI2 - openDML formatted video files?
TiVo Premiere

Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Well, I'm slowly making progress of sorts.

The conversion programs I have tried so far haven't worked well as it's either get unsatisfactory video quality or poor sound but still have a few more utilities to try.

One thing I found is that pyTivo while it can transfer the content to my TiVo, when I play it there is no audio or video BUT it dawned on me that many years ago I purchased the premium key for Tivo Desktop so that I could transfer AVI files. So I loaded the captured videos to Desktop and low and behold it works or so I thought, the problem is now that while the quality is good, the audio get's out of syn after 30 plus minutes. Double check the original video and on the PC, the audio sync is perfect so I have no idea how to fix that.

Does Tivo Desktop have any settings related to encoding during transfers?
TiVo Premiere

Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
One thing I found is that pyTivo while it can transfer the content to my TiVo, when I play it there is no audio or video
You might want to update your pyTivo, and try again. I have a feeling that a change I made yesterday may help.

I should note that "AVI2" and "OpenDML" don't really tell us anything about the video; those terms just describe the container format. The actual video codec is probably something like Motion JPEG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Per MediaInfo, the video is JPEG and PCM audio, the particular ones I'm working with are 1920x1080 at 29.970 fps.

I will check your update, is the "Encode all mpeg2video as yuv420p" what you are describing?

<edit> Trying it now, Can't say for sure but it appears better. I do have video and sound which is good improvement however I waiting to see if the audio gets out of sync, my files are large so they take some time to transfer. If this works I may won't worry about converting to Mpeg.
TiVo Premiere

Last edited by eboydog : 03-31-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You might want to update your pyTivo, and try again. I have a feeling that a change I made yesterday may help.

I should note that "AVI2" and "OpenDML" don't really tell us anything about the video; those terms just describe the container format. The actual video codec is probably something like Motion JPEG.
Well. thank you! Not sure what you did but this much better! This is sweet as now I don't need to transcode the file to something else however the catch is that due to size of my capture files I must wait for the majority to transfer before I begin to watch as otherwise viewing time catches up to transferring time.

I'm now trying higher resolution at 1080p with lower framerates which is creating even larger to see if that still works too however I suspect it will other that the side effect of dealing with the large files but since storage is cheap I'm overly concerned with that as while I hope to store them on the Tivo, I will just keep them offline until I need them.

Can you offer input on what you changed and speculate how it effected my situation?
TiVo Premiere

Old 04-02-2014, 03:43 AM   #8
fredcresswel

there are many videos converter on the net but mostly are paid and so it difficult to convert but there is also free converter which have good review too..

Last edited by fredcresswel : 04-03-2014 at 01:09 AM.
fredcresswel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Can you offer input on what you changed and speculate how it effected my situation?
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...567.html#16075

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote