TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
andydumi
Fish. Butt.

Tivo upgrade vs repair advice

Our 2 tuner Premiere is starting to have issues. I think the hard drive is dying as it's making noises and i am seeing artifacting and errors.

My issue is whether to upgrade the hard drive myself to an approximately $100 2TB drive, or whether for the same amount of money or a little more I should get a refurb 4 tuner Premiere. Or spring a little more for a low end Roamio.

We use Comcast and cable card, no issues, and no OTA. 2 tuners is probably enough, but 4 would be nice. My issue is whether the 4 tuner Premiere is any better than the 2 tuner we have in day to day use aside from extra tuners. Is it snappier in menus at all? Any advice is welcome.
andydumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Does the Premiere have lifetime? If so then fix it. If not then get rid of it and buy a Roamio. The Roamio not only has 4 tuners but it's significantly snappier in the menus. I wouldn't recommend the 4 tuner Premiere if you're unhappy with the speed of your current unit. They're actually slower then the 2 tuner units because more resources are dedicated to constantly recording 2 more streams.

Now you say your current unit is a 2 tuner unit so if it still has the factory hard drive then it's got either a 320GB (45 hour), 500GB (75 hour) or 1TB (XL) hard drive. The low end 4 tuner Roamio only has a 500GB hard drive, so if you're use to an XL then it may not be enough but for they other two it'll be a lateral move as far as space goes. On the plus side, if it's not enough, upgrading a Roamio is as simple as just dropping in a blank drive. It will automatically format it and install the software so you don't have to buy a special drive from Weaknees or deal with formatting the drive yourself.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
truman861

I agree, if it has lifetime then sure do the upgrade, if not, spend the little extra and get a roamio, even if its the basic or do the 400.00 for the plus, you get 6 tuners, moca and stream plus bigger hard drive than basic. thats what I did

truman861
-------------------------------------------------------------
Roamio Plus (Master)
3 Tivo Mini's (living room and kids rooms)
3 x Premiers (retired)
Tivo series 3 HD (retired)
Tivo series 2 with PLS (retired)
MoCA
CC: Cisco PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
T.W. Brighthouse Tampabay - Moving to Verizon Fios
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
mattack

Slightly repeating -- but even if you DO want to upgrade, IF it has lifetime, fix it -- SELL IT, then upgrade.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Agree with all of the above.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
andydumi
Fish. Butt.

Thank you all. The current 2 tuner is not a lifetime box. We are grandfathered in at a very very low rate, so we are sticking with it.

I think the best approach may be for me to get a 2TB drive, fix this one, then keep an eye out for a refurb Roamio plus at a decent price. $350 is a lot more than I am willing to spend now, and the current Premiere should work for us for a bit more time. And if we upgrade to a Roamio, I can always pull the 2TB and move it there for extra storage.
andydumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Call TiVo. They may allow you to upgrade to a Roamio and retain that low monthly rate.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
tarheelblue32

Yeah, call and see if they'll let you transfer your current monthly rate to a new Roamio.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
truman861

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Yeah, call and see if they'll let you transfer your current monthly rate to a new Roamio.
I was able to get the 9.99 per month rate that I was paying on my series 3 box as I replaced that box with my roamio
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post
Thank you all. The current 2 tuner is not a lifetime box. We are grandfathered in at a very very low rate, so we are sticking with it.

I think the best approach may be for me to get a 2TB drive, fix this one, then keep an eye out for a refurb Roamio plus at a decent price. $350 is a lot more than I am willing to spend now, and the current Premiere should work for us for a bit more time. And if we upgrade to a Roamio, I can always pull the 2TB and move it there for extra storage.
You could also call in, and ask them to put lifetime on that unit for 99 dollars, there are many people , myself included that have been able to by simply giving them a call. Sell that unit with a new HDD and buy yourself a Roamio.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote