TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
shfawaz

Arrow No Cable Cards Tivo Roamio with Cable

Im using a a $199 tivo roamio with my wowway digital cable service without any issues and without installing a cable card. Since I have digital basic i get all 99 SD channels and the 10 local HD national network channels. Although initially it complains that a cable card is necessary to tune in most of the channels, a channel scan pretty much fixes that. I use the same setup with a Tivo Premiere XL-again no cable card and all works well as it does with three other Series 3 HD Tivos.

Im thinking about going to the plus for six tuners and streaming and wonder if anyone else has been successful in doing a similar setup with a Roamio and if it will work since it differs by the fact that it doesn't have a OTA tuner (even though my cable is in fact plugged into the cable input).

I remember once trying series 4 that no matter what i did, without a cable card, i couldn't get it to work without a cable card installed. I gambled and tried the Roamio and it worked, I'm hoping a plus will work just the same.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Let us know if your season passes work. Tuning into a channel is different than using the tivo functionality.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
shfawaz

Season passes and tivo guide work perfect with no problems. Ive used this method for a few years now with older tivos and so far working fine with Roamio.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfawaz View Post
Im using a a $199 tivo roamio with my wowway digital cable service without any issues and without installing a cable card. Since I have digital basic i get all 99 SD channels and the 10 local HD national network channels. Although initially it complains that a cable card is necessary to tune in most of the channels, a channel scan pretty much fixes that. I use the same setup with a Tivo Premiere XL-again no cable card and all works well as it does with three other Series 3 HD Tivos.

Im thinking about going to the plus for six tuners and streaming and wonder if anyone else has been successful in doing a similar setup with a Roamio and if it will work since it differs by the fact that it doesn't have a OTA tuner (even though my cable is in fact plugged into the cable input).

I remember once trying series 4 that no matter what i did, without a cable card, i couldn't get it to work without a cable card installed. I gambled and tried the Roamio and it worked, I'm hoping a plus will work just the same.
I think only the basic has the coax connection, so the Plus would need a cable card.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
speedy2
TivoAddict

I was always under the impression that you needed a cable card for digital channels from a cable company to get the proper lineup for scheduling recordings. Is that not still the case?
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

I'm pretty sure if your Roamio Basic works with your cable attached to the cable port, then the Roamio Plus/Pro should as well without a CableCard. The CableCard is used for two functions, decrypting encrypted channels and mapping sometimes esoteric cable channel numbers to real life channel numbers. Obviously, you don't need the decryption since you're getting all the channels you want on the Basic without the card. It seems you don't need the mapping function either since your cable company seems to provide those basic channels on their real life channel numbers or else the TiVo Basic's guide and season pass functionality wouldn't work right.

Jeff
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
I think only the basic has the coax connection, so the Plus would need a cable card.
What?

If there is no co-ax connection on the Plus, how would you possibly hook up the cable? Does it just teleport from the wall in to the cable card? I am pretty sure you're confused about something here.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

There is a coax connection on the TiVo box. There are no coax connectors on CableCARDs.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
gigaguy

""There is a coax connection on the TiVo box""
Wha? how can that be, no coaxial to access the cable tv signals?
gigaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
You might be confusing the fact the Roamio Basic supports Over The Air (OTA), while the Plus and Pro do not. All Roamios have a coax connector on the back.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
You might be confusing the fact the Roamio Basic supports Over The Air (OTA), while the Plus and Pro do not. All Roamios have a coax connector on the back.
Duh, I was confused, sorry for the misinformation!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
shfawaz

Thanks for all the resposes. I think i will try the plus and see if that allows me to setup without a cable card. I wonder if the six tuner problem some are having will be also be an issue where tuners five and six are not working for some. I guess maybe since no cable card is involved, that should be a moot issue? Next stop Best Buy for a plus . Will report my findings.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Icarus

Interested to see if it works with the plus or pro.

The cable cards provide decryption services, they allow the box to see the decrypted digital cable channel if it's authorized to do so.

I can see 74 channels here on an S2DT and an S3 with just the raw cable. I think they are just analog channels, and roamio basic does analog channels. Plus and pro do not. (at least that's what I read here.)

Keep us posted.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

The cable cards provide decryption services, they allow the box to see the decrypted digital cable channel if it's authorized to do so.

I can see 74 channels here on an S2DT and an S3 with just the raw cable. I think they are just analog channels, and roamio basic does analog channels. Plus and pro do not. (at least that's what I read here.)

Keep us posted.

-David
No Roamio model will do analog channels. I think you're confusing that with OTA channels that the base model can do that the plus/pro can't, but they're still all digital.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #15
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
No Roamio model will do analog channels. I think you're confusing that with OTA channels that the base model can do that the plus/pro can't, but they're still all digital.
yeah, maybe. So you think the OP's cable co is transmitting channels 1 - 99 digitally but unencrypted?

-David
Old 09-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #16
HarperVision

The analog channels are probably simulcast in digital further down the lineup and the Cablecard is being told to remap them to those channels.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Icarus

Quote:
The analog channels are probably simulcast in digital further down the lineup and the Cablecard is being told to remap them to those channels.
There's no cablecards in this scenario.

-David
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
HarperVision

Maybe the TiVo is remapping it? I know my channels are coming in that I know are supposed to be analog , by remapping to the digital version here.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
Icarus

Quote:
Maybe the TiVo is remapping it? I know my channels are coming in that I know are supposed to be analog , by remapping to the digital version here.
without the cable card on a roamio plus or pro? so what channels do you tune to for KHNL as an example?

On Maui, I'm using the Kahului digital lineup -

On my S3 with cablecards, and my roamio pro, I get KHNL on channels 8, 88 and 1008. 1008 is KHNL-HD, 88 is digital, and I thought channel 8 is the analog version. At least on the S3 when digital channels were down, you could often still get the feed on channel 8.

On the S3 with no cablecards and S2DT with no other box (just fed by raw cable), it's channel 8 only.

ETA: lol, there's a show about Dave Shoji on KHNL now. Pure Hawaii.

-David
Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #20
HarperVision

Mine's a pro with a cable card. I have the same channels here on The Big Island. It's just that when I tune to channel 8 on the pro, which I know is digital only, I get the channel. So even though that's normally an analog channel, it senses when that isn't available, finds the digital simulcast, and remaps to the digital version, which is channel 88.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
apw2607

If you don't have a cablecard and use digital cable (or even the clear qam channels) you'll get no channel mapping from real channels to virtual ones used by the cable company and channel gudie. This means the guide data will be next to useless. This is for all tivo roamio s. doesn't matter if its 4 tuners or 6. You'll just get a bunch of useless qam channel numbers in the guide with "no info".
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #22
HarperVision

Yep
Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
If you don't have a cablecard and use digital cable (or even the clear qam channels) you'll get no channel mapping from real channels to virtual ones used by the cable company and channel gudie. This means the guide data will be next to useless. This is for all tivo roamio s.
It *sounds* like his cable company might be providing all of the PSIP data properly so it is "just working" without a cable card. (Years ago, there was some guy who I think still posts here, who also had a Tivo working without cable card..)

But they're intended to be used with cable card, and it might just stop working at some point, might not notice networks changing which frequency they're using, etc.. which would cause you to miss recordings.

So basically, try it out, but it's really only supposed to work with a cable card.. (unfortunately -- read the old thread about QAM remapping in the S3 forum.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
holycrap

I've tried a Roamio Pro and an XL4 in NYC on Fios without a cable card. I get nothing but a black screen.
holycrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post
It seems you don't need the mapping function either since your cable company seems to provide those basic channels on their real life channel numbers or else the TiVo Basic's guide and season pass functionality wouldn't work right.

Jeff
I subscribe to WOW! cable and they do a great job with clear QAM signals. Both of my tv's with clear QAM tuners tune in the 90+ digital basic channels with the guide channel numbers and not the crazy clear QAM channel numbers. But I am using a cable card with my Tivo. I really don't like to watch sd if I can help it.

And shfawaz, don't you have any hdtv's? WOW! only charges $3.50 more for the cable card, and there are 59 hd channels in that package.

Last edited by moedaman : 09-11-2013 at 01:37 PM.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #26
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycrap View Post
I've tried a Roamio Pro and an XL4 in NYC on Fios without a cable card. I get nothing but a black screen.
I had that with a ton of channels here on TWC after pairing the card. i also noticed when i went into the cablecard and TA screens to "Test Channels" it said i didnt have any digital channels...huh?!?!?! i also looked at the dvr diagnostics screen and it was listing every channel as "analog".....double huh?!?!?! so what I did was do a channel scan first from the channel menu, then when that was done I went back and did a "Repeat Guided Setup" routine. When it came back online it was like a got a new machine or something!!! The channels changes were FAST, even SDV ones, and best of all, no more black screens or cannot tune this channel messages on SDV!!! I just hope it lasts. :-/
Old 09-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #27
shfawaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
I subscribe to WOW! cable and they do a great job with clear QAM signals. Both of my tv's with clear QAM tuners tune in the 90+ digital basic channels with the guide channel numbers and not the crazy clear QAM channel numbers. But I am using a cable card with my Tivo. I really don't like to watch sd if I can help it.

And shfawaz, don't you have any hdtv's? WOW! only charges $3.50 more for the cable card, and there are 59 hd channels in that package.
All my TV's are HDTV flat panels. I completely understand the charges from WOW. But as it stands, I have five TiVo HD series 3, each requires TWO cable cards to use the dual tuners. That's 10 cable cards or $35.00 a month. For me owning my own DVR shouldn't cost me $7.00 in additional cable fees per box. I'd sooner stick with OTA only and keep $400 in my pocket before I pay that amount. Besides, 90% of what I record come from the networks that do come in HD without a cable card. I can tolerate 22 minutes of John Stewart in SD, which is the only cable show I record. All my network show record just fine as it stands now and I fully use the TiVo guide for my season passes and have not had a single miss.

I picked my Roamio Plus today and should be able to answer my own question before the weekend is over. Stay tuned.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #28
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfawaz View Post
All my TV's are HDTV flat panels. I completely understand the charges from WOW. But as it stands, I have five TiVo HD series 3, each requires TWO cable cards to use the dual tuners. That's 10 cable cards or $35.00 a month. For me owning my own DVR shouldn't cost me $7.00 in additional cable fees per box. I'd sooner stick with OTA only and keep $400 in my pocket before I pay that amount. Besides, 90% of what I record come from the networks that do come in HD without a cable card. I can tolerate 22 minutes of John Stewart in SD, which is the only cable show I record. All my network show record just fine as it stands now and I fully use the TiVo guide for my season passes and have not had a single miss.

I picked my Roamio Plus today and should be able to answer my own question before the weekend is over. Stay tuned.
Do you mean that you have 5 TCD648250 models, or 5 TCD652160 models, each using 2 S cards instead of one M card?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #29
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

Keep us posted.

-David
What you see on the S2DT are analog cable, 'cause that's all that model does.

As for the S3, I don't know if it's remapping or tuning the analogs as well.

My S3s tune the analog channels 'cause without cable cards that's all I'm going to get from TWC.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #30
shfawaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you mean that you have 5 TCD648250 models, or 5 TCD652160 models, each using 2 S cards instead of one M card?
These are the OLED Series 3 HD Tivos. It doesn't matter if you use single or Multi-stream cards, it still requires a card for each tuner. These boxes all have upgraded drives and lifetime TIVO subscriptions.