TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
Wdeertz

TiVo mini poor power efficiency

I have 4 TiVo minis used on the bedroom TVs which only get occasional use. From Kill-a-watt I see the minis consume about 10 watts (power usage doesn't vary much from when watching TV or not, putting in standby only reduced 1-2 watts). How is it possible for the Roamio Pro to do all it does on 22 watts but the mini which I believe is all solid state needs 10 watts? What inside the mini is consuming so much power (particularly when not streaming anything)?

I thought about putting a smart power strip on each mini to cut the power when not in use but found out that it takes about 5 minutes for the mini to boot up. A 5 minute boot on a simple streaming device seems a bit ridiculous, is there anyway to reduce this boot time short of leaving the power on?

It's not the end of the world but trying to be efficient and I find 350kwh per year for 4 minis used only occasionally to be high.

Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
thefisch

I believe the mini is in constant communication with the host even when in standby which is why you'd wouldn't see much power drop. Is the power drop in standby of the mini consistent with the drop on the roamio pro?

I haven't tried to measure the usage on my mini - all I know if it stays pretty warm all the time.

thefisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #3
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
I believe the mini is in constant communication with the host even when in standby which is why you'd wouldn't see much power drop. Is the power drop in standby of the mini consistent with the drop on the roamio pro?

I haven't tried to measure the usage on my mini - all I know if it stays pretty warm all the time.
I can see network activity every second from the Mini when not watching live TV. The System Information shows my Mini at 49C, while my Roamio is 40C. Seems high but not something to worry about.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
thefisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I can see network activity every second from the Mini when not watching live TV. The System Information shows my Mini at 49C, while my Roamio is 40C. Seems high but not something to worry about.
I didn't realize the system info (under settings I presume) would show the temperature. Here I was feeling the components

Old 08-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
I didn't realize the system info (under settings I presume) would show the temperature. Here I was feeling the components
MBT is shown in C. Roamio runs a little higher than a Premiere. But it's a measurement of the motherboard, not the HDD. That would need some tweaking of the S.M.A.R.T. diags.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
thefisch

Quote:
MBT is shown in C. Roamio runs a little higher than a Premiere. But it's a measurement of the motherboard, not the HDD. That would need some tweaking of the S.M.A.R.T. diags.
Thanks for the info. I checked the temps last night and this morning. My mini runs about 53-55c when in use. After a night on standby, it was at 49c just after I started it back up. So yours is running cooler than mine.

For comparison, the roamio plus runs 41-42c (43c when recording and streaming at the same time) while my roamio basic runs at 44c.

The stream in the plus runs much hotter when in use, from 49c when active up to 59c when transcoding and streaming from what I saw.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Wdeertz

Quote:

Poor design, there is no need for the mini to be in continuous communication with the host. As an aside my Roamio Pro is running 33c while my mini was at 46c. The mini is a little heater, I guess come the winter it will heat up my place but now it's causing the AC to run excessively.

Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdeertz View Post
Poor design, there is no need for the mini to be in continuous communication with the host. As an aside my Roamio Pro is running 33c while my mini was at 46c. The mini is a little heater, I guess come the winter it will heat up my place but now it's causing the AC to run excessively.
That's interesting. Only way a Mini would cause your AC to run more would be if you open a window when you're watching. There are a lot of threads on this forum, but I never saw an air conditioner mentioned before.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
That's interesting. Only way a Mini would cause your AC to run more would be if you open a window when you're watching. There are a lot of threads on this forum, but I never saw an air conditioner mentioned before.
OP has said they verified the mini's are using 10w of power, I can't fathom a 10w device even if it was purely built to generate heat generating enough to cause any change in room temp or AC usage.

I get the OP is not happy about 10w but that's pretty low impact per unit when you look at other items in the house.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
ej42137

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
OP has said they verified the mini's are using 10w of power, I can't fathom a 10w device even if it was purely built to generate heat generating enough to cause any change in room temp or AC usage.

I get the OP is not happy about 10w but that's pretty low impact per unit when you look at other items in the house.
Have you considered the possibility he's making a little joke?

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Have you considered the possibility he's making a little joke?
little being the keyword there...
but it's clear the OP is rather zealous with their concern about power usage and heat dissipation in the mini, more so than most mini owners.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #12
tarheelblue32

Quote:
little being the keyword there...
but it's clear the OP is rather zealous with their concern about power usage and heat dissipation in the mini, more so than most mini owners.
I really wish you'd stop using plural pronouns to refer to a singular person.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #13
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I really wish you'd stop using plural pronouns to refer to a singular person.
They/their is perfectly acceptable to use when you do not have the gender of the person available, nothing says everyone should be default referred to as male

Old 08-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
krkaufman

Quote:
They/their is perfectly acceptable to use when you do not have the gender of the person available, nothing says everyone should be default referred to as male
The surgeon is his MOTHER!!!

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
The surgeon is his MOTHER!!!

OH: is that why the Mini takes 10 watts OMG

Old 08-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #16
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
OH: is that why the Mini takes 10 watts OMG
Yes, the Mini's gender is critical. If the Mini v1 and v2 are male, we can hope that the Bolt version is female and will still function as well or better while being fed only 50-75% as much power.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-24-2015, 03:14 AM   #17
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Yes, the Mini's gender is critical. If the Mini v1 and v2 are male, we can hope that the Bolt version is female and will still function as well or better while being fed only 50-75% as much power.
Minis are obviously male. Like biological males they are only necessary to reproduce (a signal) and also like males they are an evolutionary afterthought.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:17 AM   #18
ej42137

Quote:
Well the rules of English grammar do; but your point is well taken nevertheless.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdeertz View Post
I have 4 TiVo minis used on the bedroom TVs which only get occasional use. From Kill-a-watt I see the minis consume about 10 watts (power usage doesn't vary much from when watching TV or not, putting in standby only reduced 1-2 watts). How is it possible for the Roamio Pro to do all it does on 22 watts but the mini which I believe is all solid state needs 10 watts? What inside the mini is consuming so much power (particularly when not streaming anything)?

I thought about putting a smart power strip on each mini to cut the power when not in use but found out that it takes about 5 minutes for the mini to boot up. A 5 minute boot on a simple streaming device seems a bit ridiculous, is there anyway to reduce this boot time short of leaving the power on?

It's not the end of the world but trying to be efficient and I find 350kwh per year for 4 minis used only occasionally to be high.
Something must be wrong. I thought I remember the Mini using 5.5 watts when in use and 4.5 watts in standby?

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #20
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Something must be wrong. I thought I remember the Mini using 5.5 watts when in use and 4.5 watts in standby?
My Kill-A-Watt sits on 5 watts, with 6 watts sometimes while streaming. I've never had it calibrated.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #21
waterchange

Here's a post from 2013 showing the Mini drawing between 4.5 and 5.5 watts as measured by Kill-A-Watt
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=502237

waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchange View Post
Here's a post from 2013 showing the Mini drawing between 4.5 and 5.5 watts as measured by Kill-A-Watt
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=502237
That's why I thought something was wrong with the 10 watts posted by the OP.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #23
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That's why I thought something was wrong with the 10 watts posted by the OP.
I may have an old Kill-A-Watt since it doesn't have a decimal point. That might explain why my number was a milliwatt or so higher.

Speaking of power:http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10607969