TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
BuffaloDenny

New Tivo and Roamio user

I've seen a few new user threads so I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring - hope I'm not breaking any protocols. Anyway, I've found answers to most of my questions, but more generally, it sounds like when signing up for service you can choose between monthly and lifetime.

My question is can you switch from monthly over to a lifetime later on if you want? I'm a cord cutter, going to OTA only, and I want to try it out for awhile first. But I'm pretty sure I'll like it and want to get a lifetime. Just wondering if that's allowed?

Also, I'm not sure if there's an active code for lifetime out there that works right now, but if there is does it make a difference if you try to use it as a new customer versus an existing one switching to lifetime?

Thank you.
JVC MV1S DVD Recorder
Polk speakers
BuffaloDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

I think you have 30 days from the time you first activate service to make changes.

The discount code for lifetime service that has apparently been around for years is "PLSR". It gets you $100 off lifetime. I used it when activating my Roamio with lifetime service and it worked like a charm, but I do not know for sure if you can use it later or not. Hopefully someone else around here has that answer for you.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
BuffaloDenny

When I use PLSR does lifetime really mean 5 years? I see this asterisk when signing up using that promo code:

"** Promotion period ends Dec 31, 2018. After your promotion ends, you will begin being billed the standard unit fee for this payment plan."

I do not want to see charges in 5 years after signing up for lifetime. Yes, it's 5 years down the road, but still. Anyone know the details?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
BuffaloDenny

BTW, when I go back and enter the order with no promo code, there are no asterisks. Does using PLSR when people think they're getting lifetime really have a secret expiration, and then you see additional charges?! Not a good start Tivo, if true.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

That's very interesting. I have never heard this before and I do not remember seeing this when I used the "PLSR" code for lifetime on my Roamio back in November. Could this be a recent change? And I'm really not even sure what the wording of the disclaimer means. It seems to be vague and poorly written.

When I log into my account, it shows "TiVo Lifetime Service" without any asterisk or any other sort of limitations or indications that my lifetime service only runs through 2018. If I still have my Roamio running and hit 2018 only to find I didn't really get lifetime, I would probably be a little upset. Though if this did happen, TiVo would probably give me the $99 lifetime deal at that point, so I see no reason not to use the PLSR code over paying full price for lifetime service.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #6
caughey

You might want to read and/or post in this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516100

It seems the PLSR code was working recently...you might find out if anyone else saw your asterisk message or can explain it.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDenny View Post
When I use PLSR does lifetime really mean 5 years? I see this asterisk when signing up using that promo code:

"** Promotion period ends Dec 31, 2018. After your promotion ends, you will begin being billed the standard unit fee for this payment plan."

I do not want to see charges in 5 years after signing up for lifetime. Yes, it's 5 years down the road, but still. Anyone know the details?
The same message was reported here, not sure anybody knows what it means.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...83#post9929783
Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #8
aridon

I'll piggy back on this thread.

I'm also back with Tivo after a couple of years with D*. Traded in my Premier which I felt was a slow POS for D* and now that my contract is up I'm going back to Comcast and Tivo Roamio now that the issues in this area have all died down.

Just got a great deal on Roamio Pro and lifetime with a 3 year warranty through the Tivo site. Kind of excited although I won't set it up until after May 1 since we are moving.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote