TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
checkyourmirror

Comcast 4-Tuner CableCARD, How can I get one

I went to the local Comcast office and they said Comcast doesn't offer 4 tuner cards, only 2 tuner. I called multiple numbers and got the same story that Comcast doesn't have more than 2 tuner cards. So I have my Romio plus and how do I go about getting a 4 tuner card that works with Comcast?
checkyourmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

You were misinformed. Just take the M-card they have that they are telling you is just a 2-tuner card and it will almost certainly allow 4 tuners to work.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
checkyourmirror

So the m-card I already have should work? And anyway to verify if it has 4 tuners? Lastly do I call the cable card hotline to get the other 2 tuners activated or the firmware updated?
checkyourmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkyourmirror View Post
So the m-card I already have should work?
Yes, it should. Most CableCards you would get today will support 4 tuners. I'm pretty sure that the FCC actually requires them to support at least a 4-tuner CableCard.

Quote:
And anyway to verify if it has 4 tuners?
Probably the easiest way is to just manually set 4 recordings on 4 different channels at the same time, let them record for a few minutes, and then stop and watch all 4 of them to see if they recorded correctly. If all 4 simultaneously recorded correctly, then you know for sure that you have all 4 tuners working.

Quote:
Lastly do I call the cable card hotline to get the other 2 tuners activated or the firmware updated?
If you did the above and all 4 tuners are working correctly, then you probably don't need to worry about it. But before you go through the headache of calling them to try to get them to push a firmware update, go into the settings to check and see what version of the firmware the card is currently running.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 04-10-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

I reread your original post and it says that you have a Romio Plus. The Plus actually has 6 tuners. You may have somewhat more difficulty getting a CableCard with the updated firmware to support all 6 tuners, but if you were able to get 4 tuners to work, try setting 6 recordings simultaneously and see what happens.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
jadziedzic

What brand of CableCARD do you have, and what is the firmware version? (You can determine the latter via the TiVo CableCARD info screens.)
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
aristoBrat

Quote:
So the m-card I already have should work?
IMO, a good check to do is to verify the firmware version on the card and compare it to the versions TiVo recommends.

Tivo has a web page that helps explain how to do that:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2566

Expand CableCard Troubleshooting, then I have a Roamio Plus or Roamio Pro, but not all of my tuners are working, and take a look a that.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I reread your original post and it says that you have a Romio Plus. The Plus actually has 6 tuners. You may have somewhat more difficulty getting a CableCard with the updated firmware to support all 6 tuners, but if you were able to get 4 tuners to work, try setting 6 recordings simultaneously and see what happens.
All M-cards will support 6 tuners. (The tech papers refer to it as "streams") The Cisco 908 cablecard supports 8 tuners.
The firmware version of the cablecard along with the cable company headend equipment software is important because if the cable company doesn't support it, then you're sunk.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote