TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #61
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You don't even have it checked.
So? I shouldn't report or ask about a glitch because it doesn't affect me or because I've found a workaround?
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #62
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You don't even have it checked.
I think that's why he called it an "oddity" and not a problem.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #63
midas
I heard that

Well I'll see if the overlap bug is fixed tonight. I have a baseball and a hockey game setup back to back on the same channel. The baseball game has a 1½ hour pad that will overlap with the hockey game. This same scenario failed to record the hockey game the last time it happened.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #64
dbattaglia001

My stream now doesn't work after software update. Took me several hours last night restarting router, tivo roamio pro, iOS app, etc and thought it was working. But now this morning it won't recognize my stream am I am sol to do ooh streaming or downloads.

Anyone have issues with roamio internal stream because of updated software?
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #65
humbb

I can't get the Roamio Pro to connect to my Android app on the local network. It keeps trying, but all it does is drain the phone battery. It does connect if I sign in, but then the features are limited. Thank goodness I don't depend on the app for streaming.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #66
randian

The Recording Options screen is missing Keep Until Space Needed/Keep Until I Delete. A rather bizarre omission in my opinion.

Last edited by randian : 04-04-2014 at 12:24 PM.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #67
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
The <1 second glitch wasn't the only problem. Some were missing entire recordings. If they had a large pad, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th show wouldn't record at all. Turning this off for now was the right thing to do, IMO.
This.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #68
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
The Recording Options screen is missing Keep Until Space Needed/Keep Until I Delete. That rather bizarre omission in my opinion.
Give them another 10 years, they'll add that option.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #69
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Here is what the new "Default Recording Options" screen looks like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
The Recording Options screen is missing Keep Until Space Needed/Keep Until I Delete. A rather bizarre omission in my opinion.
EXACTLY...why the heck, in the new default recording options, isn't there one for KUID? That's the one I would much prefer over all the others....major omission...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #70
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
EXACTLY...why the heck, in the new default recording options, isn't there one for KUID? That's the one I would much prefer over all the others....major omission...
It might be the notion that if everything is KUID, then KUID is useless?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #71
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
I've noticed a small set of glitches with this build when transitioning from HD to SD screens. Drilling into the top-level Settings menu screen results in some weird video output ("stacks" of vertical white dots). Not a big deal. Also, perhaps related and more important, the dreaded loud burst-of-static audio also gets triggered here... which definitely needs to be fixed IMO.

The video glitch happens every time; the audio glitch is a bit more random... though I've already heard it twice since upgrading this evening.
If you here the loud burst-of-static, please email margret@tivo.com with the subject "loud burst-of-static" and let me know the make/model number of your TV and your TSN.

Thanks,
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #72
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
My stream now doesn't work after software update. Took me several hours last night restarting router, tivo roamio pro, iOS app, etc and thought it was working. But now this morning it won't recognize my stream am I am sol to do ooh streaming or downloads.

Anyone have issues with roamio internal stream because of updated software?
We are tracking a separate issue with OOH streaming that is unrelated to the software update, but can be triggered by a reboot (which a software update causes).

UPDATE: I've been told this issue has been resolved.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

Last edited by TiVoMargret : 04-04-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #73
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

S03 Error

We are working on another solution, but in the meantime, if you want to clear the S03 error from your Mini, disconnect it from your network whenever you don't need to use it, and do NOT force any connections to the TiVo Service. This will give it the best chance of running garbage collection and cleaning up the issue that is preventing it from loading the new software. (Sorry, but you may need to leave it disconnected for up to 3 days.)

Again, we are working on a better solution for those of you in this state -- I just wanted to give you something you could try on your own.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

Old 04-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #74
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

<content self-redacted to save space>

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-04-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: <content self-redacted to save space>
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #75
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-04-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: <content self-redacted to save space>
Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #76
ggieseke

I doubt that nooneuknow and I are the only ones that wish they had fixed the overlap problems instead of sending our TiVos back to the old way of doing things. DirecTV has had this working for years and it shouldn't be that hard.

If this is a workaround until the summer update, so be it. If they're giving up on same-tuner overlap altogether it's time to hire new programmers.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #77
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We are working on another solution, but in the meantime, if you want to clear the S03 error from your Mini, disconnect it from your network whenever you don't need to use it, and do NOT force any connections to the TiVo Service. This will give it the best chance of running garbage collection and cleaning up the issue that is preventing it from loading the new software. (Sorry, but you may need to leave it disconnected for up to 3 days.)

Again, we are working on a better solution for those of you in this state -- I just wanted to give you something you could try on your own.

--Margret
Wow...just wow.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #78
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Use KUID sparingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
why the heck, in the new default recording options, isn't there one for KUID?
This new "Default Recording Options" feature is intended to simplify the process of setting up a new Season Pass or Wish List. If KUID was chosen as the default option, it would surely cause major annoyances when the DVR is low on disk space and the user keeps getting "[program] will be deleted early" warnings and other To Do List conflicts because the DVR can't predict when you'll manually delete your existing and scheduled KUID recordings.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #79
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I doubt that nooneuknow and I are the only ones that wish they had fixed the overlap problems instead of sending our TiVos back to the old way of doing things. DirecTV has had this working for years and it shouldn't be that hard.

If this is a workaround until the summer update, so be it. If they're giving up on same-tuner overlap altogether it's time to hire new programmers.
Considering that it was enabled two updates ago, then disabled, then re-enabled, only to be re-disabled, I'm thinking TiVo got rid of a few too many of their staff, and/or desperately needs volunteers for Beta Testing / Field Trials.

The last time I recall TiVo reaching out looking for volunteers was for that years-long S3/THD "gray screen" issue, which was only resolved shortly before it was end-of-lifed. That doesn't instill great confidence in me, for the "Summer Update" re-introduction of the enhancement. At least we have somebody employed directly by TiVo, who acknowledges the issue(s), as opposed to only the clueless call-center drones, who follow outdated one-size-fits-all scripts.

I agree with aaronwt, about "putting all eggs in one basket", as many have gone to one central TiVo Roamio and Minis. Who would want to risk everything, for close to nothing but being stuck with an NDA, greatly limiting what they can discuss publicly during, and after, participating in a Beta or Field Trial?

If TiVo wants to ship me a loaner to test, I'll test. Otherwise, it's just not worth the risk and NDA, which is perpetual (doesn't end/expire). I prefer to keep the ability to speak freely, and not worry about TiVo terminating my lifetime TiVo service x3, and any other measures they can use on those who share things they aren't supposed to, during/after participating.

I'd bet on the enhanced overlap not appearing any sooner than a "Fall Update". I'm figuring too many who went with a 6-tuner Plus/Pro, who can live with the old/usual handling of overlaps, and too few who went with 4-tuner Base model, who might rather live with the flawed feature, until fixed. If TiVo had made OTA an option for the 6-tuner Plus/Pro, I doubt there'd be the divide between the have and have-nots, which IMO is also a hindrance to progress, since it creates two sub-platforms to test for Roamio, while they still try to pass what they can to the sub-platforms of the Premiere.

A poll thread exists titled "Plus/Pro owners, would you buy add-on OTA tuner?" http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516152 , which currently shows ~62% interested in buying an add-on OTA tuner for the Plus/Pro, if one was available, and further divides it between "Yes" and "Maybe, depends on price". It seems like TiVo underestimated the demand for 6-tuner OTA, or the ability to fallback to OTA (I'm the latter).
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #80
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I guess since I'm in the minority who doesn't care about any live sports, live news, reality shows, and the other things that require more than 1 minute of padding start and/or finish, I forfeit the right to want the feature to stay active?
I don't care about live sports either, but the fact is that live sports on CBS Sunday afternoons can run long, causing every single show that CBS airs Sunday evenings (on the east coast, with a normal start time of 7:00PM or later) to be delayed by an unknown number of minutes (between 0 and 60).

The compensation that many folks came up to deal with this situation is to pad the end of each show by 45 or 60 minutes, which creates overlapping recordings. The overlapping recordings bug causes recordings to be miss.

If you don't do a large pad, then you risk missing the last 15-30 minutes of your show, depending on how long the afternoon sports delayed everything.

My thought has always been that if TiVo were east-coast based, their staff would have experienced this crap with the overlapping recordings first hand, and it would have been fixed a lot sooner. Because you're right, ... to explain it to folks like you in other time-zones, it requires a detailed set of procedures to setup that situation. However, for many of us in the east coast, that set of procedures boils down to "trying to use the TiVo like normal".
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #81
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post

I agree it would be nice if they fixed it, but if they couldn't get it exactly right for this update it's better to disable it than leave it. And I've never experienced the missed recording problem, only the <1 second glitch.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #82
tds4182

Question 20.4.1 Release Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Or Amazon Prime.

Like we're on the Island of Misfit Toys and Santa passes us over yet another year....

Why not just break down and buy one of the many Blu-Ray DVD players that allow Amazon Prime, they are available for ~$100.00
tds4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #83
aristoBrat

I'm not against them having put a toggle option in to have kept nooneuknow's head from exploding, but if they had the time and resources to program in that new option, they they better have had the same time and resources to look at the problem. My guess is that they ran short of time/resources and turning it off, while obviously causing some problems for some that can be fixed by editing their Season Passes, fixes problems for others that have no easy work around.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 04-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #84
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds4182 View Post
Why not just break down and buy one of the many Blu-Ray DVD players that allow Amazon Prime, they are available for ~$100.00
Or a $50 Roku 1.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #85
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
This new "Default Recording Options" feature is intended to simplify the process of setting up a new Season Pass or Wish List. If KUID was chosen as the default option, it would surely cause major annoyances when the DVR is low on disk space and the user keeps getting "[program] will be deleted early" warnings and other To Do List conflicts because the DVR can't predict when you'll manually delete your existing and scheduled KUID recordings.
Nonsense. The problem is not that KUSN is the default, the problem is your Keep Until default cannot be set on the Default Recordings screen. If I want to make KUID the default, what business is that of TiVo? Total UI fail by TiVo.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #86
jrtroo
User

KUID is known to cause issues when the drive starts to fill or there are lots of episodes to record. Then Tivo gets calls wondering why some shows are missed but space is available. So, to avoid increasing call volume, it makes sense to limit this function.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #87
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
KUID is known to cause issues when the drive starts to fill or there are lots of episodes to record. Then Tivo gets calls wondering why some shows are missed but space is available. So, to avoid increasing call volume, it makes sense to limit this function.
Still nonsense. You haven't reduced the number of calls you're going to get, because KUID is still available on the Create SP page. "Make it available but annoying" isn't good design.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #88
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-04-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: <content self-redacted to save space>
Old 04-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #89
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
So we have to find the tv remote and the av remote and switch to another device. That is too much to handle for my simpleton family.
Seriously? Americans are getting so ****ing lazy that they can't grab another remote or two to do something? It's ridiculous!

Was the overlapping tuner functionality that is now disabled where you two overlapping recordings on the same channel, and they both record off of one tuner? I saw my TiVo do that a week or two ago, and I was amazed that it could do that, as simple and obvious of a feature as that is. However, it was glitchy as all get out, and the menus were all messed up as to what was actually recording. Hopefully TiVo can make this actually work properly, as it seems like a pretty basic thing to be able to do in order to save tuners.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #90
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-04-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: <content self-redacted to save space>