TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
jollygrunt777

Local twc office doesn't have working CC

I went by the local Time Warner Cable office in order to get a TA and a CC. They went through the motions of looking for them and mentioning how Noone is using these things anymore . In the end they didn't find a working CC and they don't know when they'll be getting any more.

I asked if I could order from Time Warner themselves over the phone. They said I could try.

This is disappointing service from a local office that has been great over the last few years I've had to go by for their help.
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Not completely surprising. When I setup my Roamio, I had to go to one office to get the cable card (handed to me in a zip-top bag, no documentation or anything) and a second to get the tuning adapter. Between driving between the two stores and standing in line, I ended up spending pretty much an entire afternoon to get everything.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Time Warner will ship them to you, but I'm pretty sure there is a shipping charge.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
jollygrunt777

Also the non-working tuner adapters they had were Cisco branded and bigger than I thought they'd be. I was expecting something the size of a portable dvd burner. It was actually the size of a ps2.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
mpaquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygrunt777 View Post
Also the non-working tuner adapters they had were Cisco branded and bigger than I thought they'd be. I was expecting something the size of a portable dvd burner. It was actually the size of a ps2.
I was surprised by the size of the Cisco TA I received from TWC. The one in the my main viewing location was fine since it was in a cabinet, but in the bedroom it was a bit out of place. I fixed that by getting a mini and giving the CC and TA back to TWC.
mpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
The vast majority of Time Warner Cable areas use Cisco (formerly Scientific Atlanta) equipment, and the only tuning adapter Cisco makes is the STA1520. I agree, it seems larger than it needs to be, but the upside is that you can (more or less) hide is someplace out of sight. (Keep in mind that you may occasionally need to access it to reboot it.)
Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
jollygrunt777

So I called the 1-800 number for TWC, and they told me that while they can send out TA's for $10 shipped, the CC has to be installed by a technician for $40 but they'd charge me $20 for my inconvenience.

I thought that one could still self-install a Tivo? Has the process changed to where it now requires a truck roll? Or, do I just need to play CSR roulette. ?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Yeah, they're *required* to allow self-install now by FCC regulation. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(1)

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
So I called the 1-800 number for TWC, and they told me that while they can send out TA's for $10 shipped, the CC has to be installed by a technician for $40 but they'd charge me $20 for my inconvenience.
Huh?? What number did you call? Was it 1-866-532-2598 (or 1-866-606-5889, which rolls over to the other number)? If so, this is the number for TWC CC self-install !! I used it back in June 2012 to self-install a CC that I picked up at a TWC office and it was painless and took only a few minutes. I can't believe someone at that help desk would tell you that.

Maybe the issue is just how you can get a CC if you can't pick one up at a TWC store. Maybe they (for some unfathomable reason) won't mail one, so the only way is to bring you one on a truck, for which they charge.

The nearest TWC store that stocks CC and TA is a 40 minute drive from me. There are closer stores but they don't stock these items, although their telephone support people will *tell* you that they do (thus a wild goose chase).

Coincidentally a recent survey found TWC is the most hated company in the US.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
jollygrunt777

I used the general customer service number 1-800-cable-55.

I didn't know that there was a special number for cablecard.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
tatergator1

Back in mid 2012, I managed, without any real effort, to get TWC to ship both the CC and TA to me at no cost after calling the local general support number. Otherwise, I would have had to go to the main office for my metro-area which is a good half-hour drive, one way.

The install fee is BS. That's against FCC regulations to require a technician install the CC. They must allow you to install yourself. Not sure anything can be done about shipping charges.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I used the general customer service number 1-800-cable-55.

I didn't know that there was a special number for cablecard.
You should call the number given in my previous post. They are the only part of TWC that has at least a high probability of handling a CC or TA issue correctly.

and
Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
jollygrunt777

I called back the general number and the guy I talked to this time is trying to get them sent to me with free shipping and is supposed to call me back after work. So I'm hoping for a good result this time.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
jollygrunt777

The 2nd guy came through including free shipping. I should get 'em in 3-5 business days.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
rassi

Another Time Warner disappointment.

I have been using our TiVoHD for several years with a cablecard and tuning adapter. Knew we'd need them for our new Roamio Plus, so went on their website to see about ordering them. Website said if they shipped them there would be a charge, or I could pick them up at a local office. Placed the order online for pickup at a local office.

Of course when I got there, they looked at me funny and said they've never allowed customers to pick those up, and the corporate website was "misinformed" for allowing me to place the order in the first place.

They placed the order to have them shipped to me (with charges of course) - when they arrived last night, I worked with the tech to get them setup and he discovered they'd sent me a one-way cablecard which won't work. He said he'd cancel the charges too... We'll see what they do on that end. So I'm waiting for the replacement cablecard now....
rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassi View Post
I worked with the tech to get them setup and he discovered they'd sent me a one-way cablecard which won't work.
All CableCards are "one-way".
Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
All CableCards are "one-way".
Correct. Perhaps something was lost-in-translation between "one-way" and 'Single Tuner S-Card'.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #18
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Correct. Perhaps something was lost-in-translation between "one-way" and 'Single Tuner S-Card'.
Can't TiVoHDs use either S-Cards or M-Cards?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Can't TiVoHDs use either S-Cards or M-Cards?
TivoHD's (model 652xxxx) can use two S-cards but you'll have a hard time convincing me that fact had anything to do with why they sent an S-card. One S-Card would only enable one tuner. Percentage of TWC support people who know what cards a THD can use approximates zero.

and
Old 04-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #20
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
TivoHD's (model 652xxxx) can use two S-cards but you'll have a hard time convincing me that fact had anything to do with why they sent an S-card. One S-Card would only enable one tuner. Percentage of TWC support people who know what cards a THD can use approximates zero.
The poster said they sent a "one-way" card, which doesn't really make sense, but we don't really know whether they sent an S-card or an M-card. But whether they sent an S-card or an M-card, my point is that either card could have been installed into an HD and worked (even if only allowing 1 tuner) while he waits for them to send a second card. Whether you use 2 S-cards or 2 M-cards installed in an HD, I think you still have to have 2 cards for both tuners to work don't you? So I'm still confused as to why they sent back whatever CableCard they had.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 04-02-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
HarperVision

Quote:
Another Time Warner disappointment. I have been using our TiVoHD for several years with a cablecard and tuning adapter. Knew we'd need them for our new Roamio Plus, so went on their website to see about ordering them.....
Quote:
The poster said they sent a "one-way" card, which doesn't really make sense, but we don't really know whether they sent an S-card or an M-card. But whether they sent an S-card or an M-card, my point is that either card could have been installed into an HD and worked (even if only allowing 1 tuner) while he waits for them to send a second card. Whether you use 2 S-cards or 2 M-cards installed in an HD, I think you still have to have 2 cards for both tuners to work don't you? So I'm still confused as to why they sent back whatever CableCard they had.
He's installing the card into a new Roamio, not an HD unit.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #22
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
He's installing the card into a new Roamio, not an HD unit.
Oops. That does make a difference.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #23
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
A single m-card allows full functionality in a THD (model 652xxx). The S3 OLED (model 648xxx) requires two cards for full functionality and the cards can be either s- or m-cards.

and
Old 04-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #24
rassi

I am at work now - what do I need to look at on the cablecard they sent me originally to verify if it should work already? I don't think there are slots in a Roamio Pro for more than one cablecard at a time.

Maybe rather than having a "wrong" cablecard, it was just another incompetent Time Warner technician...
rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #25
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I am at work now - what do I need to look at on the cablecard they sent me originally to verify if it should work already? I don't think there are slots in a Roamio Pro for more than one cablecard at a time.

Maybe rather than having a "wrong" cablecard, it was just another incompetent Time Warner technician...
It should say "multi-stream" or "M-card" somewhere on it. And you are correct, there is only 1 slot on the Roamio, which is why you need a multi-stream card to be able to use multiple tuners at the same time.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #26
mpaquette

I'm going to consider myself lucky that when I moved to TWC, the installer showed up with 2 M cards for my Premieres. He forgot tuning adapters, but got another installer to bring them.
mpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote