TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #61
humbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22 View Post
Got the rest of then season offer for $50 , I bit.
Do you have a link for that deal? I'm a subscriber, but I know some who may bite on that as well. Thanks.

humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #62
synch22

came in a email this is the link

http://view.ed4.net/v/MK8YGL/3VBKJV/...7052-711176243

synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #63
humbb

Thank you.

humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 AM   #64
ukwildcat4life

Wanted to revive an old thread instead of starting a new one. Lots of us had problems watching MLB games last season due to it causing our DVR's to lock up, reboot, etc......so far during this year's spring training games the quality on my Roamio has been great compared to last year. Mine locked up the first time I tried using it a few days ago but I rebooted my Roamio and all has been well since. Last season I had audio pauses, occasional reboots, etc..... Is everyone else that watches MLB games on their Tivo's having any luck with better quality so far? I'm hoping that once the regular season begins Sunday the quality will remain good like its been during these spring training games! Lets hope!

Last edited by ukwildcat4life; 04-03-2015 at 03:42 PM.
ukwildcat4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #65
HazelW

The few time I have watched this spring it has been much better than last year. The only problem is that several times it says "you are not authorized to view this game. Go to mlb.com to reauthorize."

HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #66
ukwildcat4life

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
The few time I have watched this spring it has been much better than last year. The only problem is that several times it says "you are not authorized to view this game. Go to mlb.com to reauthorize."
Thanks for the input! and good to hear that you too are having better quality with the MLB than a year ago! I'm not sure what would cause you to get the " you are not authorized to view this game" other than a lot of spring training games are not available for viewing? or perhaps there could be something in your MLB account that is messed up? report back and let us know how your Tivo continues to do....

Old 04-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #67
Alf Tanner
Tivo Dude

Does the app no longer show up unless you have a mlb.tv premium subscription?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #68
ukwildcat4life

The MLB app should be there whether you have a subscription or not. You need to go into your settings and under video (I think) are your apps ; you need to put a check mark beside it and re enable the app and that should do it. Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #69
raqball

The app is complete JUNK!

Last night I was trying to watch the Angels @ Mariners game and both the home and away HD feeds were probably being streamed at 240p. Every now and then it would go HD then fade back to horrid quality.

My internet speed is 150 down and everything else streams just fine so it's NOT my internet.

Also, every time I exit the app I am greeted with a banner dead smack in the middle of the screen on live TV that says the copyright holder no longer permits viewing of this portion of the program.

The only way to get the error to go away is a reboot of the Tivo. Changing hdmi inputs, turning the TV on / off does not work. Entering the MLB app and exiting works about 1 out of 15 times. Last night I had to reboot the Tivo to get this error to go away.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #70
Alf Tanner
Tivo Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
The app is complete JUNK!

Last night I was trying to watch the Angels @ Mariners game and both the home and away HD feeds were probably being streamed at 240p. Every now and then it would go HD then fade back to horrid quality.

My internet speed is 150 down and everything else streams just fine so it's NOT my internet.

Also, every time I exit the app I am greeted with a banner dead smack in the middle of the screen on live TV that says the copyright holder no longer permits viewing of this portion of the program.

The only way to get the error to go away is a reboot of the Tivo. Changing hdmi inputs, turning the TV on / off does not work. Entering the MLB app and exiting works about 1 out of 15 times. Last night I had to reboot the Tivo to get this error to go away.

That happened to me while watching the game on my iPad too... the whole copyright holder deal message came up inside the app

Old 04-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #71
ukwildcat4life

I guess I had my hopes up for nothing. The spring training games streamed fine on my Roamio and Mini but since the regular season started its hit or miss.....sometimes the quality is all fuzzy; it will go in and out from HD to almost unwatchable and the all too familiar audio pauses go along with the bad picture. These problems went on all of last season and I complained several times and brought it to the attention on the MLB's support forum......I urge everyone that is having problems to go over the the MLB support forum and complain; not saying or holding my breath that they will do anything since they didn't last year but it wouldn't hurt. If MLB can't do any better than this then Tivo just needs to eliminate the MLB app and not even allow it on their devices. I know its not my network or bandwidth or equipment thats the problem because all of my other streaming apps work fine. Thankfully I have a Roku 3 and Apple TV and the games work ok on them; not great but watchable most of the time.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #72
HazelW

Last night I watched a game from about 7 to 8:30 PM. Lots of glitches, pauses, dropouts, replays, and fuzziness. This morning I finished the game and it worked perfectly. So either my internet is congested in the evening or the MLB servers can't keep up. I'm guessing the latter since other streaming services work fine.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #73
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
Last night I watched a game from about 7 to 8:30 PM. Lots of glitches, pauses, dropouts, replays, and fuzziness. This morning I finished the game and it worked perfectly. So either my internet is congested in the evening or the MLB servers can't keep up. I'm guessing the latter since other streaming services work fine.

Who is your ISP? if its AT&T UVerse there has been a big problem going on since opening day where people have came on to the MLB forum and complained about games not streaming for them, etc... the only response the moderators gave was that they are aware of the issue and will post back when they receive new information....the moderators on MLB basically always try and blame the customers internet connection, equipment, etc.......I think the problem is exactly what you said about them not having enough servers and bandwidth to keep up with everyone especially during live games and during prime time hours but they won't ever own up to it.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 AM   #74
RickStrobel

COME ON TIVO!

Just tried the MLB app on my TiVo Roamio Plus and watched a few minutes of a game. When I exited out my TiVo rebooted. Hmm. Google "tivo roamio mlb reboot" and find a thread where people have been complaining about this for over a year.

Lame.

RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:41 AM   #75
Alf Tanner
Tivo Dude

The two worthwhile MLB.tv apps I've used are ps4 and Roku. The tivo, Apple TV, Windows 8, and Xbox360 are all beyond garbage, even on my wired 100mb/s connection.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #76
convergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Tanner View Post
The two worthwhile MLB.tv apps I've used are ps4 and Roku. The tivo, Apple TV, Windows 8, and Xbox360 are all beyond garbage, even on my wired 100mb/s connection.
We've used MLB.tv on an Apple TV for I believe 4 or 5 years and the last several years its been flawless. Not sure why you are thinking its garbage. We watch a game usually daily and I don't recall it having any problems at all the whole season. We've been using it on Tivo, sometimes simultaneous on the Roamio and a Mini watching the same game in different rooms and at a different point in the game, for a couple of weeks now and not had any problems. I think the design of Tivo's MLB app is kind of crude compared to AppleTV, but as far as watching the game itself they seem to be identical. The quality of the stream is usually poor for about one minute until it buffers up some and then we are getting HD quality the whole game with no stuttering or buffering at all.

There has to be some kind network problem, or maybe a problem at the source feed, that is causing a problem. Have you tried watching a different feed or a different game when you have the problem to see if its feed related? And how are you networking your devices in the house?

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #77
HazelW

The biggest problem with the TiVo version is that it crashes the TiVo about half the time when you exit the app. So you really can't watch a game while something else you want is recording. The latest update did not fix the problem.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #78
Chuck_IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Tanner View Post
I'll agree on the Roku(don't have a PS4) but I also have zero problems with the Apple TV version as well. However, for functionality, I prefer Amazon Fire TV's version.

Besides TIVO, you should also complain to MLB.TV. They are the ones looking bad to an extent and they do work with the streaming companies to develop the apps. They may put more pressure on TIVO to get it fixed.

Charter Cable
Chuck_IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #79
4d3fect

Yeah, I've tried MLB.TV on my Roamio and totally freezes it after trying to exit the app. Worse than useless. It works fine on my Roku, so I'm not wasting time screeching at some anonymous dev team to fix it.

4d3fect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:23 AM   #80
convergent

Last night we had a game going on our two Minis, and each one ended up rebooting itself after it got hung trying to rewind, and then hitting the Tivo button resulted in the reboot. I hadn't seen this before so may have been the amount of bandwidth we are using... not sure. The game playback was high quality, although there were 2 times that it lagged a bit, but then recovered on its on. The rebooting is bad for sure.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #81
Alf Tanner
Tivo Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
We've used MLB.tv on an Apple TV for I believe 4 or 5 years and the last several years its been flawless. Not sure why you are thinking its garbage. We watch a game usually daily and I don't recall it having any problems at all the whole season. We've been using it on Tivo, sometimes simultaneous on the Roamio and a Mini watching the same game in different rooms and at a different point in the game, for a couple of weeks now and not had any problems. I think the design of Tivo's MLB app is kind of crude compared to AppleTV, but as far as watching the game itself they seem to be identical. The quality of the stream is usually poor for about one minute until it buffers up some and then we are getting HD quality the whole game with no stuttering or buffering at all.

There has to be some kind network problem, or maybe a problem at the source feed, that is causing a problem. Have you tried watching a different feed or a different game when you have the problem to see if its feed related? And how are you networking your devices in the house?
We have a cubs fan in the house as well so the cubs game is on occasionally. That one is on the ps4 usually but on the occasions we've used it with the Tivo mini it's experienced similar issues. Other than that I have not ever watched a different stream.

My network is wired throughout the house with cables I made myself, none run along or directly across AC power. I dont have a several thousand dollar tester to test for crosstalk on the cables but I'm fairly confident in my ability to properly terminate Cat6 cables, which is what all but one of the cables is made from.

My ISP connection specs are 100mb/s down and 10mb/s up.

Logging into the modem page all the voltages and SNR are well within spec from what I've researched on broadbandreports. I rigged up an active cooling system to my router and modem downstairs so they're never even warm to the touch.

I have a dlink managed switch downstairs to appropriate connections to everything downstairs and a smart switch (was on sale) for the connections upstairs to my main HT area.

The cable connection comes directly in from outside to an arris modem and then from there directly to an Asus N66U router running merlin firmware acting as the dhcp server for the entire network.

Upstairs there is an Apple Time capsule running as a wireless access point and Time Machine backup, not using the built in DHCP server.

With 2 networked receivers, 2 airport express base stations (no DHCP or NAT), 2 Tivo Minis, a Roamio Pro, 2 smart TVs, a workstation, gaming computer, networked printer, multiple laptops (both wireless and wired) 3 iPads, 3 iPhones, a PS4 (also wired) and various other wireless devices; the only issue I've ever found on the network is the mlv.tv app on the Tivos, LG smart TV, Sony Blu-Ray player (junk) and Windows modern desktop app.

DLNA sharing, Airplay, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, Crackle, and watching shows recorded on the Roamio through the minis has been almost flawless.

All devices on my network either have DHCP reservations or static IPs

When gaming I get less than a 75 to the farthest corners of North America.

Pinging google.com from powershell gives a 7ms response time

Using pingtest shows a max ping of 40 and jitter of 0-1 with 0 packet loss to the farthest corners of this continent.

I dont get why my mlb.tv experience has not been better, unless the problem is with the app or the stream on their end.

The Apple TV has been flakey since it was new so I might have included that inappropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
I'll agree on the Roku(don't have a PS4) but I also have zero problems with the Apple TV version as well. However, for functionality, I prefer Amazon Fire TV's version.

Besides TIVO, you should also complain to MLB.TV. They are the ones looking bad to an extent and they do work with the streaming companies to develop the apps. They may put more pressure on TIVO to get it fixed.
Have complained to both, and will continue to do so.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #82
convergent

Alf, I'm consistently seeing flakiness with the Tivo Mini's now. Last night I didn't have the reboot problem, but every time I tried to do any significant FF or RW, it locked up and hitting Tivo button as an exit, it didn't reboot. The night before it did reboot on both Minis. The only difference was I was only watching on one Mini last night and two the night before.

The funny part is my wife keeps telling me to hit FF through commercial breaks and I tell her I don't want to because I don't want it to lock up. She's used to the AppleTV being flawless and I was just lazy and didn't want to switch to the AppleTV. She says, "if we paid $xxx for this it should work... this is unacceptable". She's not very tech oriented and would be wanting me to take it all back because this one thing isn't working right. I'm like its software...its a bug or something and need to wait for them to fix it... we bought it as a DVR and this is icing on the cake.

But it is frustrating. These apps, more than anything else, causes me to think Tivo is going to die a slow death if they don't get control of their apps quality... especially for the apps they are putting on the Roamio box an advertising... Hulu, Netflix, Amazon.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #83
HazelW

I've noticed that I get the FF/lockup problem when watching a game in prime time while it is still ongoing. If I watch the next morning, everything works fine. I still get the reboot when exiting no matter what.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #84
rassi

Another ditto here for HazelW's problem. Can't FF without locking up the stream 90% of the time - have to restart MLB.tv from the Tivo main menu to get it working again, and most of the time when I exit MLB.tv, it reboots the TiVo. Very frustrating.

rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #85
Chuck_IV

Yep, add me to the list of people who get the reboot. Just got my Tivo updated and now when I exit MLB.TV it shows the Tivo meain screen for a second then reboots.

The sad part is, before my Tivo updated to the latest version, it was running 20.3.8 and I never got any reboots. Now I do.

Charter Cable

Last edited by Chuck_IV; 08-07-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #86
Chuck_IV

So people with the reboot issue on exit, instead of using the TIVO button, try hitting the GUIDE button. I've done this a few times now and it has not rebooted. Using the TIVO button, it almost always does.

Fast Forwarding still freezes the stream tho.

Charter Cable
Old 08-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #87
rassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
So people with the reboot issue on exit, instead of using the TIVO button, try hitting the GUIDE button. I've done this a few times now and it has not rebooted. Using the TIVO button, it almost always does.

Fast Forwarding still freezes the stream tho.
I will try that. Last night instead of hitting the TiVo button or the left arrow to go back and officially "exit" the app, I just hit the live TV button and that didn't lock up the TiVo.

rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #88
HazelW

I have found that the reboot is random but happens about 1/3 of the time and it does not make any difference how you exit the app.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #89
jff6791

I'm getting re-boots 100% of time on mini, roamio and premier regardless of exit key. Has anyone submitted a ticket on this to Tivo or MLB?

jff6791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #90
andybech

Almost 100% time here too. Was maybe 10% of the time the first 3 months of the season. Very annoying as you can't watch MLB if the Tivo is recording anything else.

andybech is offline   Reply With Quote