TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 AM   #1
Tpfer

Please help me with Charter and Roamio pro

I decided to switch from DTV to charter.

Bought Roamio pro and got setup and activated.

Read everything I could about 4 tuner vs 6 tuner issues with firmware.

Sounds like I need to get a Scientific Atlanta card to get the correct firmware. But the Charter office does not have any. No one I have talked to knows anything about cable cards at tech support.

Current Cisco card is 1.5.2 4201. Exchanges 1 card dated 2011 with one that was 2013 and still have 2401.

How do I get this TiVo to work with 6 tuners? Even though I will be saving $100/month, the hassles seems too much.

Please let me know so that I can decide if I should keep DTV or not. DTV is about to come and bring me Genies and minis for free in a couple of days.

Last edited by Tpfer; 01-11-2016 at 01:30 AM. Reason: added info
Tpfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta a few years ago, so they're one in the same. The firmware should be upgraded by your cable company automatically if it has the wrong version, but I'm not familiar with exactly which version is needed to activate all 6 tuners. Are you sure it's the CableCARD and not the Tuning Adapter that doesn't support 6 tuners? You may want to tey disconnecting the TA and see if that doesn't allow all 6 tuners to function on the non-SDV channels.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
donnoh

What I would do is call Tivo tech support and get one of their cable card level support types to get on a three way call with Charter and maybe they can get them to update the firmware on the card.

donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Tpfer

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a Tuning Adapter. I did not think they needed it anymore. Do they?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Chuck_IV

The cable card should automatically download the current firmware when it is initially installed. Both my cards did that. The cable card sort of took over the Roamio during setup and I watched it download a firmware update.

As for the TA, you may need one, but it depends on where you live and if they have any SDV channels. Even of they do, if they are channels you don't watch, then you can do without the hassles of the TA and not install one.

Charter Cable
Chuck_IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
Tpfer

The first card I tried did take an update automatically but only to the 1.5.2 2401. The card was from 2011.

The second card, did not take an update as it was on 2401 already. Looks lithe their updates are only to 1.5.2 2401.

In our area we are 100% digital.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
Tpfer

I forgot to mention that with the latest card, I was able to actually record 6 channels at once when I was testing it but then when the Tivo recording was recording a single channel, the recording did not actually work because it ended up saying it was not authorized.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpfer View Post
I forgot to mention that with the latest card, I was able to actually record 6 channels at once when I was testing it but then when the Tivo recording was recording a single channel, the recording did not actually work because it ended up saying it was not authorized.
This will take some time, but eventually it will get you the correct results.
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/h..._form_id=33794

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
donnoh

Quote:
Are you sure you don't need a tuning adapter? I have Charter and they went all digital 2-3 years ago and I was required to get one to get all of the channels. I would call Charter and tell them you're not getting all of the channels you're paying for and they may be able to fix it over the phone if you don't need the tuning adapter.

donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
Tpfer

I will try the TA to see if that helps.

I was getting the channels without issue and they were all authorized. When I drop down to 4 tuners on TiVo, there are no issues.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
Chuck_IV

Quote:
I believe the current firmware for the Cisco cablecard should be PKEY-1.5.3_FP1101, which according to some, fixes a lot of issues, especially with 6 tuners. See here...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ter+authorized

The Cisco TA should be at STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.2001. Here is a good thread for the TA...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hlight=charter

Charter Cable
Old 01-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
UCLABB

Quote:
I will try the TA to see if that helps.

I was getting the channels without issue and they were all authorized. When I drop down to 4 tuners on TiVo, there are no issues.
Not sure what you mean here. How do you "drop down to four tuners"? What issues are you still having?

To see how many tuners you have active, hit the info button and then scroll down to the "circles" then right click and you will see all the tuners.

If you have only four tuners, you need to contact Charter and either get a new cable card or maybe a refresh might work.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
Tpfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Not sure what you mean here. How do you "drop down to four tuners"? What issues are you still having?

To see how many tuners you have active, hit the info button and then scroll down to the "circles" then right click and you will see all the tuners.

If you have only four tuners, you need to contact Charter and either get a new cable card or maybe a refresh might work.
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
If the CableCARD in your Roamio does not support 6 tuners, here is how to reduce the number of tuners Roamio will use: Go to Settings > Channels > Channel List and enter one of the following number sequences using the number buttons on the remote. This will tell Roamio the how many tuners it can use. - 88633 = use 3 tuners - 88634 = use 4 tuners - 88635 = use 5 tuners - 88636 = use 6 tuners You should hear some "Thumbs Up" dings confirming the number of tuners Roamio will use.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Tpfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
I believe the current firmware for the Cisco cablecard should be PKEY-1.5.3_FP1101, which according to some, fixes a lot of issues, especially with 6 tuners. See here...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ter+authorized

The Cisco TA should be at STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.2001. Here is a good thread for the TA...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hlight=charter
Yes, I want to get PKEY-1.5.3_FP1101 but only have been able to get to PKEY-1.5.2_FP2401. Charter support had no idea what Firmware meant and that is the frustration.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
You have a really rare issue. I would follow donnoh's advice and call TiVo and get one of their CableCARD techs to do a 3 way call with you and Charter. That has proven to be pretty effective in the past.

If that doesn't work contact the FCC. They are required to support 6 tuners, so the FCC intervention might just light a fire under them and get them to push out the update.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
Tpfer

I just tried something again. Went back to 6 tuners and manually started recording 6 channels. There does not seem to be an issue with it. But I think at some point it will suddenly give a V58 error (channel not authorized).

Tried another support call to get firmware push and they told me that I needed a Tuning Adapter. I did not have a TA when the first card updated itsef. I guess I will go and pick one up to see if that helps.

Does anyone know that if the firmware is old, would you still be able to get 6 tuners to work even for a short time or is it always restricted to 4? What I mean is that would it be possible that this revision of the software would work if I added a tuning adapter and the channels would not start getting the unauthorized message.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
Chuck_IV

While I suspect you do need a TA for some channel acces, that still should have nothing to do with them pushing firmware to your cable card.

Charter Cable
Old 01-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
You could be getting the v58 error due to lack of a TA. If you're attempting to tune SDV channels without a TA the results can be really unpredictable.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #19
UCLABB

Quote:
I just tried something again. Went back to 6 tuners and manually started recording 6 channels. There does not seem to be an issue with it. But I think at some point it will suddenly give a V58 error (channel not authorized).

Tried another support call to get firmware push and they told me that I needed a Tuning Adapter. I did not have a TA when the first card updated itsef. I guess I will go and pick one up to see if that helps.

Does anyone know that if the firmware is old, would you still be able to get 6 tuners to work even for a short time or is it always restricted to 4? What I mean is that would it be possible that this revision of the software would work if I added a tuning adapter and the channels would not start getting the unauthorized message.
Simple test is when you are on the tuner with the not authorized message, simply change the channel (to a channel not on one of the other tuners). That will tell you if it is a channel problem or a tuner problem. Most likely this is an issue with not having a TA.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #20
tim1724

Which model of Cisco CableCard do you have? e.g., PK800, PK802, PK803

As far as I know isn't listed in the diagnostics so you probably need to pull the card out and look at it.

As of a year ago Charter was only updating the older cards (e.g., PK800) to a recent firmware.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #21
mdavej

Ceton worked closely with all the major cable operators about 4 years ago when they released their 6 tuner model. They said that all cards in Charter's system were updated at that time. So I highly doubt cable card firmware is your issue.

I think it's more likely that, in addition to the missing TA, your card hasn't actually been authorized properly. It's rare for Charter to get it right the first time. Look at the V number in diagnostics. I predict it will be zero. So you need to call them back to reauthorize and you need to install a tuning adapter.

mdavej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #22
Tpfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Ceton worked closely with all the major cable operators about 4 years ago when they released their 6 tuner model. They said that all cards in Charter's system were updated at that time. So I highly doubt cable card firmware is your issue.

I think it's more likely that, in addition to the missing TA, your card hasn't actually been authorized properly. It's rare for Charter to get it right the first time. Look at the V number in diagnostics. I predict it will be zero. So you need to call them back to reauthorize and you need to install a tuning adapter.
If by the V number you mean VCT ID then it is 0.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #23
mdavej

Quote:
If by the V number you mean VCT ID then it is 0.
See item 12 below:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363797

Old 01-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #24
spynotebook

It took about a week to get mine working with about 5 tech visits. It turned out my card was provisioned to only work in Charter devices, not third-party. So, keep on them and eventually someone will figure it out!

I have 6 tuners working and need a tuning adapter.

spynotebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #25
Tpfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spynotebook View Post
It took about a week to get mine working with about 5 tech visits. It turned out my card was provisioned to only work in Charter devices, not third-party. So, keep on them and eventually someone will figure it out!

I have 6 tuners working and need a tuning adapter.
I am heading out to get a TA in a bit. Hope that helps the channels getting not authorized message once in a while.

How can you tell if it was just authorized for charter devices?

Old 01-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #26
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I am heading out to get a TA in a bit. Hope that helps the channels getting not authorized message once in a while.
I highly doubt that a tuning adapter will help if the message you are getting is "channel not authorized". That is a CarbleCard authorization error message. If you need a Tuning Adapter to get the channel, the error message you would get is something like "channel not provided by the tuning adapter".

Quote:
How can you tell if it was just authorized for charter devices?
The FCC does not allow cable companies to only authorize certain linear channels for their own devices. Any linear channel you can get with a Charter box you have to be allowed to receive with a CableCard by law. If you can't get Charter to fix this problem, I strongly suggest you file a complaint with the FCC. That usually gets the cable company to have someone competent contact you to fix your problem. Charter will probably be faster than normal responding to an FCC complaint, as they are probably extra motivated to get the TWC merger approved.

Last edited by tarheelblue32; 01-12-2016 at 12:34 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #27
mdavej

This is all perfectly normal for Charter. No need to file any complaints just yet. Give the authorization a couple more tries. They'll eventually get it. Best not to hang up until it's working. So keep your eye on the V number. Like an earlier poster, it once took me about 10 tries over 10 days. A few times I got lucky and got it done in 10 minutes. Getting someone at Charter who has heard of a cable card is about like winning the Power Ball.

I agree that the "not authorized" error has nothing to do with your missing TA. But you still need one.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #28
Tpfer

I am getting the not authorized message on a channel that works most of the time.

Yesterday I had set up 1 recording on 1 channel and the recording was empty and deleted and the history said not Authorized.
It was using one of the tuners that it did not like I bet. when I dropped down to 4 tuners all was well.

Right now I had it on 6 tuners and all had a station on them and then suddenly one of them went on HBO on demand and blank screen and could not move to another channel on that tuner. So 5 tuners working now.

Tuner 1 is showing that there is no signal going to it and no data in most of the fields.

BTW, I read the:

See item 12 below:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363797

and maybe it is the CISCO card but there is no V number that I can find.

system info shows M card active. I also remember seeing something about Card Authorized and one was Authorization sent.

Last call to Charter told me that they could not send a signal to the box unless I had a TA.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #29
mdavej

I think you're wasting your time troubleshooting this until you get a TA. Too many variables. Let us know when you have it connected.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #30
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I think you're wasting your time troubleshooting this until you get a TA. Too many variables. Let us know when you have it connected.
I actually disagree with this. Adding the Tuning Adapter only increases the number of possible problems. I always suggest getting everything squared away with the CableCard first before even thinking about connecting the TA (assuming one is even needed, and I'm not so sure that it is here).

This is almost certainly a CableCard problem, as he has stated that sometimes he is able to tune the channel and sometimes he gets the "channel not authorized" error message. If it were a SDV channel that required a Tuning Adapter, he would never be able to tune the channel at all and he would be getting a completely different error message.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote