TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2015, 02:30 AM   #1
chipchen

Empty folder won't go away

I have an empty folder that won't go away. Anyone ever experience this? Basically it just says:

Parenthood (0)

If I select it, it says that there is nothing in the folder. I cannot delete it.

One interesting thing is... when I had an episode in there, it showed two folders both displaying "Parenthood (1)". I selected both and hit the clear button to delete... but only one folder disappeared and it went back to displaying "Parenthood (0)".

chipchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
I have an empty folder that won't go away. Anyone ever experience this? Basically it just says:

Parenthood (0)

If I select it, it says that there is nothing in the folder. I cannot delete it.

One interesting thing is... when I had an episode in there, it showed two folders both displaying "Parenthood (1)". I selected both and hit the clear button to delete... but only one folder disappeared and it went back to displaying "Parenthood (0)".
I have had it. I turned off "folders" on the Tivo so I don't see it on screen. It STILL shows on my Android app which I tend to use to manage ToDo list, season passes, etc. I have had it occur twice; I can say "eventually" it goes away (without explanation) because the first one is gone (after weeks or months), the second one is still there. When it first occurred, I tried to restore then re-delete the show; NOTHING worked. The only hope I can offer is that it will one day suddenly disappear.

JohnS-MI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
The Merg
1*

Have you tried a restart of the TiVo?

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
kbmb

When I got the new software, I was playing around with setting up a OnePass for Dual Survival. At one point had no episodes recorded and I turned it to Recordings only. That still left me with a zero folder. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the folder to delete. I even removed the entire OnePass and it was still there. Only a restart of the Tivo removed the folder.

-Kevin

kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
generaltso

I had the same experience as kbmb. This is definitely a bug. I had several folders that were created when I enabled streaming on some 1Ps. After removing streaming, the folders wouldn't go away and deleting them didn't work. Even removing the 1Ps altogether didn't make the folders go away. A reboot of the TiVo is what made them finally disappear.

generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
RoyK

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I had the same experience as kbmb. This is definitely a bug. I had several folders that were created when I enabled streaming on some 1Ps. After removing streaming, the folders wouldn't go away and deleting them didn't work. Even removing the 1Ps altogether didn't make the folders go away. A reboot of the TiVo is what made them finally disappear.
Must be a feature. Surely that happened during in-house testing and beta tests

RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
moyekj

From my understanding in the other 20.4.6 threads, as soon as you add or change "streaming" options as part of a 1P it will set the current date on folder in My Shows and even if you subsequently remove "streaming" options as part of the 1P it can take up to 24 hours to correct itself in My Shows. Rebooting I think just forces re-indexing or whatever is done in the background to update the list. I don't know if just a reboot of HDUI is enough to fix it or not (from TiVo Central enter Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play) since I don't have the software yet.

It's becoming pretty clear that there are many implications of the 1P addition which has changed a lot of behavior in both My Shows listing and Season Pass functionality, and the lost functionality IMO from everything I've read up to know far outweighs any value that 1P gives you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
From my understanding in the other 20.4.6 threads, as soon as you add or change "streaming" options as part of a 1P it will set the current date on folder in My Shows and even if you subsequently remove "streaming" options as part of the 1P it can take up to 24 hours to correct itself in My Shows. Rebooting I think just forces re-indexing or whatever is done in the background to update the list. I don't know if just a reboot of HDUI is enough to fix it or not (from TiVo Central enter Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play).
For me, a HDUI restart did NOT remove the folder.

Poor show from Tivo to leave the folder there even when I remove the entire OnePass.

-Kevin

kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
59er
TiVotee

Are you sure there are no streaming episodes hiding from view? Use the B button to change the folder view to "My Shows" and see if it still appears empty.

59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
Are you sure there are no streaming episodes hiding from view? Use the B button to change the folder view to "My Shows" and see if it still appears empty.
Yup, it's empty. The 1P didn't even exist anymore.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #11
t1voproof

I'm experiencing the same issue of empty folders dated 12/31 on canceled 1P's. A reboot did remove the folders. Not a good start for 1P!

t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:38 AM   #12
chipchen

Yea, I had restarted a few times to try to fix the issue... both from the menu and from pulling the power. Still there. It's been over two months now... It's not a huge issue, just annoying.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
generaltso

Quote:
Yea, I had restarted a few times to try to fix the issue... both from the menu and from pulling the power. Still there. It's been over two months now... It's not a huge issue, just annoying.
Two months? Are you sure this is a 1P issue?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #14
chipchen

Quote:
Two months? Are you sure this is a 1P issue?
Sorry, I don't even know what 1P means?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
generaltso

Quote:
Sorry, I don't even know what 1P means?
Sorry, it means OnePass. This issue seems fairly common with OnePasses, so I assumed that's what your issue was as well. But if it started 2 months ago, it must be something else that's causing it.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #16
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Sorry, it means OnePass. This issue seems fairly common with OnePasses, so I assumed that's what your issue was as well. But if it started 2 months ago, it must be something else that's causing it.
Similar problem in 20.4.5 which I'm still on. One pass may make it worse, but its been around.

JohnS-MI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #17
Bojangling

Have you tried hitting the "clear" button on the remote while on the folder itself? I had the same issue but was able to fix (delete) it by doing this.

Bojangling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #18
Schmye Bubbula

I just had my first phantom folder. Yep, when I set my season pass — uh, OnePass — for American Crime, I forgot to change it to Recordings only (is there no way to set the default?), and the Recordings & streaming videos invoked the unremovable folder. Nothing will get rid of it.

Is this an acknowledged bug now?

- -
Edit: a reboot got it. Whew!

Last edited by Schmye Bubbula; 03-07-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Schmye Bubbula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #19
series5orpremier

American Crime did it to me for the first time too. It must be unique to certain shows. When they set up the 1P data on their end it must not be foolproof in that a flag can be left on or off by mistake.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #20
Steverd

I was just going to post the SAME as reason problem. I have EMPTY folders in my play list. TIVO please make them go away. Delete does not remove them, Clear does not remove them. Rebooting does not remove them either. System software is at 20.4.6, anything I can try?
WAIT, just did a power cycle and the empty folders are gone! Yeah!!!

Last edited by Steverd; 03-09-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Steverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #21
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverd View Post
I was just going to post the SAME as reason problem. I have EMPTY folders in my play list. TIVO please make them go away. Delete does not remove them, Clear does not remove them. Rebooting does not remove them either. System software is at 20.4.6, anything I can try?
WAIT, just did a power cycle and the empty folders are gone! Yeah!!!
That sounds strange. Empty folders would obviously be a software issue. There are certain types of hardware issues that might be cleared only by a hard reset (power cycling in the case of a TiVo), but what kind of software cleanup routine would be run only in that case but not during a menu-selected restart? Is it possible that a restart doesn't reboot Linux? And would that even matter? Are you sure the empty folders were still there after a restart?

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #22
csell

I've had that as well, and it will eventually go away. Not sure if it takes a reboot, but mine all eventually did disappear.

csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #23
thewebgal
MacAphile AV geek

Got the same problem - I set a OnePass for "Last Man on Earth" - saw that 1 hour starter ep
and decided it was not for us. We deleted it, deleted the Onepass - and -
the dumb empty folder won't go away, stays at the top of my list of shows, and cannot be deleted!

Bad Design!!

Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #24
KnordRW

I'm having a similar issue with The Big Bang Theory. I set it to streaming and recordings while it was on hiatus, and it gave the folder a date of 12/31 and stuck it at the very top of my My Shows list when it's sorted by date. When new episodes are recorded, the folder date shows the date of the recording. When I delete the recording, the date goes back to 12/31. My other "empty" (no current recordings) Streaming and Recordings 1P's show the date I set them to both streaming and recordings. I changed BBT back to just recordings, and there was no effect on the folder. Am I to take it that if I was to delete the 1P for BBT, then reboot the TiVo, the folder would go away, and then I could reset it for recordings only? How annoying.....

KnordRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #25
Steverd

My empty folder had the same 12/31 date as you.
Strange!?!?!

Steverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 AM   #26
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverd View Post
My empty folder had the same 12/31 date as you.
Strange!?!?!
Let me guess, it says Wed 12/31.

I'm pretty sure the bogus date on all these empty folders is December 31, 1969. Why? Because the UNIX time keeping system begins at midnight (GMT) on January 1, 1970. And since the US is west of Greenwich, that means that the starting point was in the evening of Dec 31, 1969 in the US. Which was a Wednesday.

Oh, and I have an empty folder too. For The Last Man on Earth.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #27
The Merg
1*

Yup. Seeing the same issue with my OnePass for Castle.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #28
HazelW

My Roameo rebooted overnight and a couple of the empty folders went away, but there are still a couple more

HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #29
KnordRW

Yeah, my BBT folder went away with the software update reboot, but I'd previously deleted and re-made the 1P as recordings only. I didn't bother to reboot after that because it was recording, so it's possible that the update had nothing to do with the folder going away.

KnordRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #30
boston01

Still a problem

Reverting to "recordings only" but the folder's won't go away. Still a problem a few months later. This just completely clutters up the interface when viewing your programs. They seem to think that this a new "feature" instead of an interface bug. People should complain on their contact page.

boston01 is offline   Reply With Quote