TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
callmebob12345

Cox CableCard not Pairing

So I just had Cox here to install my cable and we couldn't get the CC to pair with a brand new Tivo I got on Amazon. The tech had a second card with him so we tried that as well and it wouldn't pair either. The thing is, if I take out the CC and try to tune to a local channel, not digital, the Tivo said I might need a CC to watch the channel and wouldn't display the channel. I did a channel scan and it picked up over 400 channels, but still wouldn't tune to any of them. Do I have a dud Tivo?

callmebob12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebob12345 View Post
So I just had Cox here to install my cable and we couldn't get the CC to pair with a brand new Tivo I got on Amazon. The tech had a second card with him so we tried that as well and it wouldn't pair either. The thing is, if I take out the CC and try to tune to a local channel, not digital, the Tivo said I might need a CC to watch the channel and wouldn't display the channel. I did a channel scan and it picked up over 400 channels, but still wouldn't tune to any of them. Do I have a dud Tivo?
You need more help than I can provide, but I can state that a TiVo without a cable card will scan all channels on your feed, and I mean all. So if these are encrypted you can not view them without a cable card. You can, like with a TV, manually enter the channel number and it will tune any channel. So you can enter a QAM channel number and get a "not authorized" error. BTW, the ->| key is the "-" key or decimal point key.

I'm sure someone with Cox will give you their cable card pairing number. Start your fight there. Good luck.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
callmebob12345

I tried to tune to my local CBS, just the SD channel, which should not require a CC, and the banner still said that I needed a CC. They're coming back tomorrow with a handful of cards to try, but something doesn't seem right.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
I tried to tune to my local CBS, just the SD channel, which should not require a CC, and the banner still said that I needed a CC. They're coming back tomorrow with a handful of cards to try, but something doesn't seem right.
I guess I assumed you were looking at your Settings, Channel List. They should all be unchecked. But those are the numbers of your QAM channels and may have 1, 2, 3 or 4 decimal points. Unless your feed publishes QAM channels, you can't know which is CBS. Am I confusing you? Shall I go away until tomorrow?

At this time I get one clear QAM channel and five analog test patterns. I have a Premiere on-line without a cable card.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Where are you located City, State?
Are you in a Cox market that has already transitioned to All Digital, All Encrypted?

Do you have a Motorola or SA/Cisco CableCARD and Tuning Adapter?

Cox is notorious for initially setting up the account wrong,
and unless you can get someone to take a close look at the account, both CableCARD and Tuning Adapter authorizations it can be a pain.

Post some signal levels from the Tuning Adapter Diagnostic menus, because it also could be a signal issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX; 09-18-2015 at 10:11 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
callmebob12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Where are you located City, State?
Are you in a Cox market that has already transitioned to All Digital, All Encrypted?

Do you have a Motorola or SA/Cisco CableCARD and Tuning Adapter?

Cox is notorious for initially setting up the account wrong,
and unless you can get someone to take a close look at the account, both CableCARD and Tuning Adapter authorizations it can be a pain.

Post some signal levels from the Tuning Adapter Diagnostic menus, because it also could be a signal issue.
I'm in the Hampton Roads market. I don't know if we are all digital as I've been with DirecTV for a while and haven't been paying attention to what Cox has been doing. The card and TA are Motorola. As for signal levels, I've unhooked the box until tomorrow when they are coming back with more CCs and hooked up my DirecTV DVR back up so I can't give you any idea on signal levels right now. The installer did hook up a meter and said that my levels were strong for whatever that's worth.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Hampton Roads has gone All Digital, but I do not know for sure if the Locals are encrypted yet.

Can you tune any Local channels on a TV connected directly to the coax w/o a cable box?

CableCARDs are generally not bad, they are just not provisioned and authorized correctly. The reason a different one usually works is because they are starting from scratch and adding the account codes correctly this time.

Are you sure the coax you are connecting the TiVo to is not still connected to your DirectTV lines?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #8
callmebob12345

Quote:
Hampton Roads has gone All Digital, but I do not know for sure if the Locals are encrypted yet.

Can you tune any Local channels on a TV connected directly to the coax w/o a cable box?
Don't know right now as I hooked DirecTV back up to the lines in the house until the morning, so we could use the TVs tonight. But the Tivo did find over 400 channels when I did a channel scan before I unhooked the cable lines. It just wouldn't allow be to watch any of them as it kept saying it needed a CC.

Quote:
CableCARDs are generally not bad, they are just not provisioned and authorized correctly. The reason a different one usually works is because they are starting from scratch and adding the account codes correctly this time.

Are you sure the coax you are connecting the TiVo to is not still connected to your DirectTV lines?
Yeah, I'm positive that the lines were hooked up to Cox at the time we tried to pair the cards as they are all direct runs to the wall outlets and we took them right out of the SWM and hooked them into the splitter coming from the Cox feed.

The installer said he's never installed a CC before and I knew more about them than he did, which isn't saying much. His supervisor showed up as well and said that he's seen people go through a dozen cards before they found one that worked.

Last edited by callmebob12345; 09-18-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

If the CableCARD and TA are Paired and Authorized correctly you will see the following:

CableCARD Diagnostics should read:

Con: Yes
EBCP: Yes
Val: V 0x25

Tuning Adapter Diagnostics should look like this:

OOB FREQ: 104.200 MHz
CARRIER LOCK: YES
SNR 24 DB GOOD
DATA: YES
HUNT MODE: NONE
INBAND FREQ: 763.750 MHz QAM256
SNR 31 DB GOOD

Old 09-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
callmebob12345

Quote:
If the CableCARD and TA are Paired and Authorized correctly you will see the following:

CableCARD Diagnostics should read:

Con: Yes
EBCP: Yes
Val: V 0x25

Tuning Adapter Diagnostics should look like this:

OOB FREQ: 104.200 MHz
SNR 24 DB GOOD
DATA: YES
HUNT MODE: NONE
INBAND FREQ: 763.750 MHz QAM256
SNR 31 DB GOOD
Thanks for the heads up. I guess we'll see how it goes in the morning when they bring some cards.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Please report back, I see in the Cox OnDemand thread it sounds like it is working correctly now.

What was the issue?

Old 09-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #12
callmebob12345

Quote:
Please report back, I see in the Cox OnDemand thread it sounds like it is working correctly now.

What was the issue?
We got it working. Took about half a dozen different CCs before we found one that will pair but it works now except that I can't get HBO Comedy HD to come in for some reason. The SD works. All other channels seem to work though.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
except that I can't get HBO Comedy HD to come in for some reason. The SD works. All other channels seem to work though.
Cox dropped HBO Comedy HD in all markets, over a year ago, I was upset, I have no idea why they would drop just that one channel, especially given it is MPEG4/H.264

See your Line-up, HBO Comedy HD is missing 1307
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...mptonroads.pdf

Cox also dropped TMC Extra HD and a few other HD Premiums