TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Silverman

So what is a bad drive like now?

That other thread brings a question, since the program for the Roamio machine is not on the drive anymore, shouldn't it boot fine even with a bad drive? Then just get dropouts in playing if disk errors or no play at all if drive is dead? Someone ought try a bad drive in a Roamio and see so we will know what to look for. With only shows on the drive it ought to work till hard drive actually dies I would think, with dropouts of course. Anyone know?
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Even with the operating system being located on a flash drive, I'm pretty sure the Roamio would have to be able to write some files to the hard drive in order to boot up properly.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Silverman

Well I am thinking the drive will be marking bad sectors bad and then not using those. Problem was in the old machine that could mean part of the program is gone and it won't boot up. Here it looks like it would since any scratch ram and so on at the drive would be new at each reboot and just the recorded shows would have dropouts. If it did quit, a new boot should work again since the just gone bad sectors would have been marked not to use again. At least that is my theory.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
poppagene
User

And what about drive size? Can we put a smaller drive into a roamio? How small?
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
That other thread brings a question, since the program for the Roamio machine is not on the drive anymore, shouldn't it boot fine even with a bad drive? Then just get dropouts in playing if disk errors or no play at all if drive is dead? Someone ought try a bad drive in a Roamio and see so we will know what to look for. With only shows on the drive it ought to work till hard drive actually dies I would think, with dropouts of course. Anyone know?
The /var partition, the Linux swap partition, and the SQLite partition are still on the hard drive. It ain't gonna boot without them, and then you get into the MFS app partitions (that's an even longer thread).

As far as smaller drives go that's a good question, but as the commercial says "nobody ever stamped their foot and asked for less". Going below 500GB these days would be silly IMO. If I can find a working 320 in my stack of old crap I'll try it out just for grins, but it won't stay there long. Every drive still spinning in my house is at least 2TB.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Silverman

OK, well if those partitions rely on dedicated areas of disk only written once then I guess a disk failure in a Roamio will just reboot like the S3 did then? Is that what to expect?

I just got one and was going to leave the 500G in and not replace till it wears out with larger, and wanted to know what to expect. To the guy with the small disk issue, he probably has left over drives from older Tivos or something, they won't work because they are so much larger physically than what Roamio uses, just would not fit in the space I think. If any do they may work but I bet a bunch here would sell him a new 500 they swapped out real cheap.

I may even do that if I find 75 hrs enough. I used to have a 1TB S3 and never got close to full. Hey, I LOVE the disk space indicator, at last! They must have finally got rid of the engineer that would not put one in. Thanks all.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
telemark

A 320GB gets to guided setup, I think I've tried 60GB ssd before with the same result.
Something smaller than about 6GB, should produce a logic error for the default partition scheme.

So somewhere in between those two.

No Hard Drive still gets a little past Kickstart Entry.

Last edited by telemark : 06-07-2014 at 09:18 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote