TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
bruab
Shmegistrd Schmoozer

Roamio cuts off 5.1 sound to soundbars and receivers on pause

This problem seems to have started with the OnePass update. It doesn't happen to everyone - it depends on the exact setup. Most trick plays can cause it (rewind, etc.) but pause seems to be the biggest offender.

I've bugged TiVo about this repeatedly, and they claim they are working on a solution. Their suggested workaround in the meantime is to switch to PCM 2-channel sound, which is not really acceptable. Rebooting the TV or simply switching inputs away from the TiVo and then back reliably fixes the issue.

Needless to say, cycling through my inputs 50 times a night is pretty infuriating, and I'm pretty pissed that TiVo messed up some basic functionality by adding the ability to "save" streaming video place-holders in my Now Playing list, which I find totally useless. In fact it's worse than useless to me, since I now have to tell my TiVo NOT to do that every time I make a season pass.

Since cycling inputs fixes the problem, my theory is that the TiVo is messing up the HDMI connection somehow on pause. I ordered a cheap HDMI powered splitter on eBay, so I'm hoping that putting that between my tivo and the TV will fix this. I'll report back. If anyone else has solved this, please tell me!

My particular configuration is Tivo (HDMI) -> TV -> Vizio Soundbar (optical)

Please don't reply "It doesn't happen to me!". It's been established that it doesn't happen to everyone, but I've had plenty of other people confirm this is an issue.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
pfiagra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruab View Post
This problem seems to have started with the OnePass update. It doesn't happen to everyone - it depends on the exact setup. Most trick plays can cause it (rewind, etc.) but pause seems to be the biggest offender.

I've bugged TiVo about this repeatedly, and they claim they are working on a solution. Their suggested workaround in the meantime is to switch to PCM 2-channel sound, which is not really acceptable. Rebooting the TV or simply switching inputs away from the TiVo and then back reliably fixes the issue.

Needless to say, cycling through my inputs 50 times a night is pretty infuriating, and I'm pretty pissed that TiVo messed up some basic functionality by adding the ability to "save" streaming video place-holders in my Now Playing list, which I find totally useless. In fact it's worse than useless to me, since I now have to tell my TiVo NOT to do that every time I make a season pass.

Since cycling inputs fixes the problem, my theory is that the TiVo is messing up the HDMI connection somehow on pause. I ordered a cheap HDMI powered splitter on eBay, so I'm hoping that putting that between my tivo and the TV will fix this. I'll report back. If anyone else has solved this, please tell me!

My particular configuration is Tivo (HDMI) -> TV -> Vizio Soundbar (optical)

Please don't reply "It doesn't happen to me!". It's been established that it doesn't happen to everyone, but I've had plenty of other people confirm this is an issue.
I have this same exact setup and confirm that this is the case.

The Vizio soundbar automatically lowers the volume output when it stops receiving a signal, but then slowly (over a few seconds) raises the volume back up to the set level when a signal is re-received. I believe this is a feature of the Vizio sound bar so that a new audio signal doesn't blast one's ears out if the volume is up high or a new signal with a higher audio output is received.

This only happens with the TiVo DVR audio where the audio signal ceases when on pause. Perhaps TiVo designed it this way. This doesn't happen with Netflix. When paused on Netflix, the audio signal apparently isn't stopped completely, so the soundbar doesn't automatically drop its volume output. Thus, when using Netflix, there is no lag.

My workaround: instead of un-pausing to resume a show, I hit the instant replay button, which gives a running start for the audio.

Premiere 320GB: 2012-2015
Premiere 500GB: 2014-2014
Premiere 320GB: 2014-2014
Premiere 320GB: 2013-2013
Series 2 DT: 2007-2012
pfiagra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
bruab
Shmegistrd Schmoozer

I'm not sure we're describing the same thing. All audio is cut off and no amount of pressing the volume buttons will bring it back. Only resetting the HDMI connection seems to fix it. I have seen this issue with Netflix and Plex on the TiVo also, but not using my TV's built-in Netflix and Plex clients.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
pfiagra

My misunderstanding. Hope you can find a workaround.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
bruab
Shmegistrd Schmoozer

I'm curious which Vizios you have, if you don't have the problem. I have the M652i-B2 TV (mid-range 65") and the S4251w-B4 soundbar.

I'd be happy to find there was some setting I could tweak to fix this. I'd be a bit embarrassed, but it would be worth it.

My soundbar just now lost sound simply changing channels. I'd consider that maybe it's defective, but other people have reported this problem also, and I ONLY see the problem with my TiVo.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
pfiagra

TV: Sony Bravia 40EX401
Sound bar: Vizio S3821w-C0

Old 07-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
bruab
Shmegistrd Schmoozer

Unfortunately adding an HDMI splitter between the TiVo and the TV/Soundbar to make sure the HDMI connection is maintained doesn't help.

One more interesting data point: once the sound is cut off, putting the TiVo into standby mode then hitting the TiVo button to wake it up will generate the TiVo "bong" sound through the sound bar, but there is still no TV sound. To me this pretty definitively proves this is 100% a TiVo issue.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
bruab
Shmegistrd Schmoozer

More info (back from when this problem started): http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?p=10407480

Old 07-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
Yudoka

It's a general sound issue and not just soundbar/receiver. I also began experiencing this issue earlier this year and thought it was my receiver issue (Sony). But I moved in the last few weeks and and haven't yet had the chance to set up my sound system and am just using the TV speakers but I still get this issue once in a while. I even have it set to PCM as a TiVo tech recommended and the issue still occurs.

Yudoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Why not go to the soundbar first before the TV? This is how I've always had my soundbars setup. The same as my receivers.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #11
bruab
Shmegistrd Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Why not go to the soundbar first before the TV? This is how I've always had my soundbars setup. The same as my receivers.

Because then I wouldn't get 5.1 sound from anything except my TiVo (Xbox, Mac Mini running iTunes, etc.).

I haven't actually tried it though, so I'm not even sure it would even fix the problem. I supposed if it did I could get an optical switch box.....

(My soundbar does not have HDMI in, only optical & coax)

Old 08-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2946

slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #13
mpaquette

Happens to me with a Sonos Playbar. I turned off Dolby Digital on my TiVo because I got tired of dealing with the issue. Not the best solution and I wish TiVo would fix this.

My set up: TiVo (HDMI) -> Vizio TV -> Sonos Playbar (optical)

mpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:26 AM   #14
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Not following why you don't do HDMI to the TV and optical to the soundbar directly from the Tivo. The problem is HDMI-related but only on some sets, using optical to get DD 5.1 on your bar avoids that.

slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote