TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
rainwater

YouTube Studdering?

So I don't normally use the YouTube app on my Roamios but I thought I would give it try (normally just use my Chromecast). Well, on both my Roamios I get pretty consistent studdering and freezing.

Is anyone else seeing this? One of my Roamios is wired and the other is wireless so I don't think it is a networking issue. I have no problems with YouTube on any of my other devices.

Last edited by rainwater; 08-08-2015 at 05:31 PM.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
So I don't normally use the YouTube app on my Roamios but I thought I would give it try (normally just use my Chromecast). Well, on both my Roamios I get pretty consistent studdering and freezing.

Is anyone else seeing this? One of my Roamios is wired and the other is wireless so I don't think it is a networking issue. I have no problems with YouTube on any of my other devices.
I'm having the same issue with my Roamio Pro and Mini. Just started a few days ago...

ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Ditto. This also affects Amazon and Netflix apps too once I encounter the problem (why? I have absolutely no clue). I have to reboot the modem and that seems to solve it but only for a little while. I've decided to only use YouTube through my ATV and not my Roamio anymore.

Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

I've been noticing more of it lately, but this was on desktops and android tablets. It would seem FIOS is having bandwidth issues.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I noticed this the other night. I don't normally use YouTube at all, but I used it to watch a related video to a show I was watching and it kept pausing and cutting out the audio.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
eric102

Both my Pro and Basic have been doing it for a few weeks, maybe the last update is responsible?

My Roku's play the same YouTube video's just fine through the same network, switches, modem etc so its definitely the TiVos and not wiring or bandwidth issue.

eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
celtic pride

I had that problem after the update on my pro,After i rebooted my tivo evrything is fine.

celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
Both my Pro and Basic have been doing it for a few weeks, maybe the last update is responsible?

My Roku's play the same YouTube video's just fine through the same network, switches, modem etc so its definitely the TiVos and not wiring or bandwidth issue.
Unfortunately you can't rule out a WAN bandwidth issue because the Roku and Tivo likely access different youtube servers.

dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just watched the promo for The Muppets from the main screen. Not sure what app it's using but it was also studdering. I think they might have some sort of memory or buffering issue.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
pdc

I've been seeing the same problem, but only on one of my Minis. My other Mini and Roamio have no problems - all of them hardwired via gigabit Ethernet or MOCA. I reported the problem to Tivo Tech Support, but since it was only happening on YouTube, they were stuck. They suggested trying to move it to another location in the home to see if it was a problem with the Mini or with the network. But the inconsistency of it happening makes it hard to diagnose. Reboots seem to have no impact

Within the YouTube settings, there is an option to turn on an informational overlay that tells you the current stream bitrate and resolution. Even when the video does not stutter, the bitrate meter stops updating a few seconds into the video (around 5 Mbs) and the resolution tops out well below the actual video resolution (somewhere around 850px on a 1080p video).

pdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 AM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

there's another thread about this issue with premieres, it has a link to the tivo support forum where a couple of mods are asking for tsn numbers to help with the investigation:
https://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/fo...5739#e11265739

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #12
GeoPea

I'm also having issues with YouTube freezing, or not even launching when i click to open it from the menu. I have a Roamio Pro on Cablevision in central NJ. Other apps such as AOL, Yahoo, etc don't have the problem.

I find that rebooting fixes the freezing for a short time. So wouldn't that indicate that the problem is in the Tivo box, rather than somewhere in the connection?

GeoPea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I tried it a few times recently and the studdering has stopped for me. Not sure if they did something on their end to fix it, or if it was my network causing the issue before. But all seems OK as of right now.

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM   #14
Rkkeller

Last night YT was unusable for me thru the Roamio. Way too much stopping and starting.

I switched to the Xbox One YT app and it worked fine.

Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #15
Marc

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
Last night YT was unusable for me thru the Roamio. Way too much stopping and starting.

I switched to the Xbox One YT app and it worked fine.
Wow... that was exactly what I did last night, too. Were you spying on me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote