TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Riverdome

MLB.tv app causing reboots 100% of time

Tried ysing mlb.tv app during spring training and every time I started a stream my Tivo locked up and after 3-4 minutes rebooted. I chaulked it up to something to do with the new season. Tonight I tried again and it's doing the same thing. I'm 3/3 tonight with trying to start a stream leading to a complete system reboot. MLB.tv works perfect on my Android device via home wifi and on my laptop using the same connection.

Tivo network is TWC plugged into wireless router via Ethernet. Roamio is connected to mini via coax.

Anyone had similar issues? Thoughts on possible resolution?

Many thanks.
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
synch22

I watched free game of the day 2 days now both were fine. Picture was then exact same you would get on the ps3
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Scooterj

Today is the first day I used MLB TV and it is working like crap. Reboots, buffering, and freezing. My signal strength is at 95% so that is not the issue. I have MLB TV on Roku and it is great no buffering takes maybe 3 seconds to go game to game. I have had the Roamio since December and it seems like more and more issues are popping up. Not very happy with it at all.
Scooterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
jaydro

After no problems so far this season, MLB.TV has frozen twice on me (freezes, I go back to TiVo, go back to MLB.TV, selected game now shows spinny thing, then goes black, TiVo reboots--twice!) without me ever seeing any baseball!

P.S. And this is on Premiere XL--no one was talking about it over in the Premiere forum yet.

UPDATE: On my Panasonic TV MLB.TV is constantly buffering and then just timing out (which I've never seen before), so it looks like it's not a TiVo problem, but at least my TV didn't reboot because of it. ;-)

Last edited by jaydro : 04-03-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: updated
jaydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Riverdome

As my Tivo was rebooting I pulled up the Red Sox game on my phone so it didn't appear to be a mlb.tv server problem, unless Tivo and mobile streams come from unique data sources.

Late last night I tried the app on my mini and the game played. Once an AB it would rewind 2-3 seconds automatically, not sure if that was buffering?? After a few innings the game went to commercial and never came back. I didn't troubleshoot and just called it a night.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
jaydro

After I posted I went to my iPad and the game I was having trouble with on TiVo and my TV was flipping back-and-forth between live (8th or 9th innning) and the 5th inning! Incredible.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
KingPenguin

MLB.tv changed their backend somewhat at the end of spring training. Appearantly they switched from using Nexdef on PC clients to some other technology. I wonder if it requires client changes on Tivo etc. that haven't been rolled out.

This is why I didn't renew my MLB.tv subscription this year. Lots of problems last year and I am waiting for the new implementation to get this all worked out. I really want to watch baseball, but not going to spend all that money for something that doesn't stream right to the Tivo/Mini.

If anyone does have it working well on Tivo, please post here.
KingPenguin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Scooterj

The MLB TV app worked better for me last night but still had some issues with skipping back a few seconds you would see the pitch you just saw 5 seconds ago. I hope it works better soon it is disappointing. MLB TV on my ROKU way faster switching between games and very smooth interface no skipping or freezing at all and it has radio broadcast option which you can play over the video feed.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
synch22

Now the last 2 days not working and has caused my mini no get stuck needing me to unplug and reboot it.
I am close to paying for the sub but not like this.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
jaydro

MLB.TV was fine on the TiVo for me last night, but fwiw I also wasn't watching any live games, just one from the afternoon. And this morning I saw a new TiVo software update was being installed (on Premiere XL), so we'll see how it is after that....
Old 04-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
Scooterj

I just put on MLB TV today to watch the Mets/Reds game and again the thing froze entire system rebooted. This MLB TV app on Tivo is by far the worst. I have it on Roku and use to have it on PS3 and never had these problems. Lets go Tivo get you heads out your butts and fix it !!!!!!!!!1
Old 04-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
synch22

Working fine for me today after signing up on the monthly deal.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
humbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterj View Post
I just put on MLB TV today to watch the Mets/Reds game and again the thing froze entire system rebooted. This MLB TV app on Tivo is by far the worst. I have it on Roku and use to have it on PS3 and never had these problems. Lets go Tivo get you heads out your butts and fix it !!!!!!!!!1
Over the last few days, there have been a lot of quality issues across all MLB.TV platforms (including Roku and PS3) such as freezing, repeating, and network disconnects. This Deadspin article is the first I've seen outlining some of the issues this year:
http://deadspin.com/whats-up-with-ml...xed-1557683857
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
synch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22 View Post
Working fine for me today after signing up on the monthly deal.
Well that was earlier just had to reboot twice. Its not working.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
shemmy

I'm having this problem now on my Roamio. The couple of times I've tried to access mlb.tv through the Tivo, it has frozen, crashed, and then rebooted itself. Once it happened after I was watching a stream for a few minutes, and just now it happened before it even loaded a picture, I just had a frozen circular "loading" image, and then a reboot.
shemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
Riverdome

Another bad mlb.tv day. Tried to watch game, Tivo locked up and eventually rebooted. Tried watching same game after reboot and it played . . . . for awhile. About 20 minutes later it locked up again but I was able to slowly get back to the Tivo main menu - and I gave up on baseball on Tivo. Back to my Galaxy Note 2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #17
rickyTV

I signed up for the monthly plan cause I wasn't sure this works ... this works. ...... and now the thing keeps going back .... going back and repeating and then .... freeze... jump ahead. Just like I typed it!

The problem is it keeps trying to go HD when clearly it can't keep up because of ISP slowdowns. The app needs to buffer more or let me manually choose a lower resolution. But having it be so jumpy is so annoying I want to scream.

But hey, on my PC it's even worse. If you try to watch from the beginning it'll freeze and then goto live even if you have set no spoilers. So after I gave up on the pc version, I tried the tivo and it's really bad unless I'm watching after 1 am.

I was tempted to buy the whole season and save a few bucks, but at least now I can cancel after 1 month.
rickyTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #18
jaydro

FWIW, I watched a game last night with no TiVo (Premiere XL) issues--no rebooting or locking up. That's after I got the latest TiVo software update, if that has anything at all to do with it.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
humbb

I don't think the update has anything to do with it. It seems to be more a lack of streaming capacity at MLB. There was a fairly light schedule of live games last night. I noticed that the troubles began on Wednesday, which was the first full schedule of night games. I too didn't have any problem last night (even switching around from game to game). But it seems to be pervasive amongst all platforms (I also stream on a PS3 - my preference) since Wednesday during peak live game inventory times - see my link above indicating there is a general problem with Adobe streaming this year.

It's also possible that MLB has resolved the Adobe issue (oh please).

There are 12 games today starting between 1 and 2:20pm ET. I would be interested in your experience and others on the Tivo during this period.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #20
Scooterj

I tried again today same issues with Mlb Tv. glad I only signed up monthly because if it does not improve i will cancel. It seems like Mlb Tv is terrible on all devices this year. It was such a great product last year and now they have completely gave the fans the middle finger. We can all thank Uncle Bud. I guess when they sent there best MLB Tv guys to work for MLB instant replay they just ignored MLB tv all together.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #21
Riverdome

I'll disagree with the "it's terrible on all devices" - at least for me it has worked well on my PC and Android device. For this Buckeye it's just a Tivo problem.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #22
synch22

yeah tivo only problem here too.
I am using on ps3 for locals with unblock us which was suprisingly easy to set up. You get all blackout games, espn included.

As a bonus netflix in other countries is possible as well with better movie availability.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #23
ukwildcat4life

I agree with Riverdome; its basically just been a Tivo problem for me as well. I can try watching a game on the Roamio or the Mini and the picture is good but the audio skips and freezes up at times....since I own a Roku and Apple TV I tried those devices and did not have those problems. Oddly though if I go back to that game in the archives and watch it really late at night like 1am on it plays perfect....so its kinda like there is some problem going on with Live streaming? I'm new to Tivo and really like the DVR's and having MLB integrated was a major bonus but so far that app needs some serious attention....Please Tivo take a look at it and fix it!
ukwildcat4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #24
ukwildcat4life

This thread seems to have went dead but since my last post I have noticed a few things. I first thought that the MLB problems were isolated to Tivo but I have now experienced a lot of issues on the Roku and my android tablet. MLBTV completely crashed my android tablet multiple times tonight and the video quality on my Roku was terrible! I was , however, able to watch the games on my apple TV and iPhone but even on those devices the quality wasn't great. Launching the MLB app in Tivo since my last post managed to lock my Mini and Roamio both up completely causing me to reboot each device. Strange thing late tonight like around 3am my Roamio was able to stream the game perfect.....I have came to a conclusion that the MLB TV problem is not a Tivo problem but instead an MLB TV problem on all devices. I'm not sure what is going on but the last two seasons the app worked just fine. This year I have double the internet speed and bandwidth that I had the previous two years yet the quality is terrible. Not sure about the rest of you but I paid for a whole year and won't be able to get a refund. If MLB doesn't get this fixed soon I will think twice next season before spending my money on something that won't work. Just thought I'd share my experience and if any others out there are having similar problems I'd like to hear about it and or if you have any insight as to what is going on with MLB TV this year...
Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #25
jaydro

Hey ukwildcat4life, I was just about to post an update, too. I had not noticed too many problems since my last post (though I was tending to watch on light schedule nights), but last night was awful. My TiVo did not reboot, but once I thought it was locked up on a gray screen after I tried to exit MLB.TV on a black streaming screen--it eventually came back. On my Panasonic TV I was getting timeouts trying to stream. On my iPad I was getting errors. Even when it played it was riddled with streaming hiccups. The best device was my phone, though the resolution was much lower.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #26
ukwildcat4life

Hey Jaydro; thanks for the update! sounds like our problems are similar....I am trying to watch the Braves/Mets game on my Roamio as I'm typing and again very poor video quality with skips and pauses.....its no better on my Roku or android tablet.....so definitely sounds like this problem is on all devices and MLB TV needs to fix it ! Here is a link where people have been posting issues since opening day with their Roku devices...

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...da2e&start=615
Old 04-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #27
mchief
Morey

Watched the Cubs game this afternoon on my iPad3 without a problem. Did not try Tivo or Roku. Biggest problem I have had with both is going to commerical and never coming back requiring restart of app.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #28
dthomas1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcat4life View Post
This thread seems to have went dead but since my last post I have noticed a few things. I first thought that the MLB problems were isolated to Tivo but I have now experienced a lot of issues on the Roku and my android tablet. MLBTV completely crashed my android tablet multiple times tonight and the video quality on my Roku was terrible! I was , however, able to watch the games on my apple TV and iPhone but even on those devices the quality wasn't great. Launching the MLB app in Tivo since my last post managed to lock my Mini and Roamio both up completely causing me to reboot each device. Strange thing late tonight like around 3am my Roamio was able to stream the game perfect.....I have came to a conclusion that the MLB TV problem is not a Tivo problem but instead an MLB TV problem on all devices. I'm not sure what is going on but the last two seasons the app worked just fine. This year I have double the internet speed and bandwidth that I had the previous two years yet the quality is terrible. Not sure about the rest of you but I paid for a whole year and won't be able to get a refund. If MLB doesn't get this fixed soon I will think twice next season before spending my money on something that won't work. Just thought I'd share my experience and if any others out there are having similar problems I'd like to hear about it and or if you have any insight as to what is going on with MLB TV this year...
Are you running 20.4.1 or 20.3.8 software version on the DVR?
dthomas1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #29
Baseballsucks

MLB is boring!
Baseballsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #30
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomas1972 View Post
Are you running 20.4.1 or 20.3.8 software version on the DVR?
Hey dthomas72: thanks for the reply. Both my roamio and mini have received the spring update and running 20.4.1. The mlb app seemed a lot better the last couple of days. I contacted MLB and they said they were aware that there are issues on many devices and that they are working on it. Now when it gets fixed I guess we will have to wait and see. Is your tivo streaming the games with good quality?