TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
mobilelawyer

With Windows 9, Microsoft may finally forget the past and embrace the future

Am I just panic prone, or is Microsoft about to set a course with Windows 9 that leaves the video hobbiest out in the cold?

"Interestingly, Windows 9 might not include a “Desktop for running legacy Win32 apps,” according to “previous tips,” and will be updated “frequently and regularly” via the Windows Store."

Say good bye to Win 32 apps?

I am more inclined to shout "Say it ain't so!" First they abandon development of Windows Media Center.Now, I suppose we can say goodbye to TiVo Desktop software, VideoReDo, Total Media Theatre, Showbiz, Mediabrowser and a ton of other programs that are not 64 bit programs.

I am going to have to start looking at other OS options.
mobilelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
alansh

Little early to panic -- Win8 will be supported through January 10, 2023.

I think it's almost certain that Win8 will be the last that runs on 32-bit CPUs, but I kinda doubt they'll ditch Win32 compatibility entirely. They still haven't released a Visual Studio development kit that runs natively in 64 bit.

Heck, the 32 bit edition of Windows 8 will still run 16 bit programs.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

It would take a bit of work but we'll get VideoReDo running on 64bit if we have to.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
mr.unnatural

This may be the kick in the pants that software developers need to put out their programs in 64-bit. There's really no reason to be running 32-bit Windows on a PC anymore, especially with the current legacy support for 64-bit apps. 64-bit has been around for quite some time, but developers have been dragging their feet putting out their apps in 64-bit format.

By the time Windows 9 rolls out, a lot of us will probably be thinking about a PC upgrade anyway. There's a certain percentage of PC sales that are directly related to the new release of a Windows OS (just don't ask me what it is ). If you still need 32-bit support, hang onto that old PC to use on special occasions. If it's running XP, just disconnect it from the internet and you'll be fine.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Moving apps to 64-bit is not a simple recompile and done, it does take work. And if you don't need the extra memory, why do you think they would want to take the time and money to do it?
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Moving apps to 64-bit is not a simple recompile and done, it does take work. And if you don't need the extra memory, why do you think they would want to take the time and money to do it?
Actually, it is a simple recompile and done if the apps was written well instead of being filled with bad assumptions like ints and pointers being the same size. I've seen vast amounts of code port from 32 to 64 bit with zero effort (and, of course, equally vast amounts of code that didn't :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Exactly. For VRD it's not just our own code either. We use a lot of external libraries (i.e. codecs, muxers, etc...) that would either need to be upgraded or replaced.

In reality most apps don't need 64bit, so forcing them to upgrade is a bit heavy handed and likely to piss off more people then it benefits.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Exactly. For VRD it's not just our own code either. We use a lot of external libraries (i.e. codecs, muxers, etc...) that would either need to be upgraded or replaced.
Actually video codes is a really good reason to want to go to 64 bits, not for more memory, but for twice as many vector registers being available in the 64 bit x86 architecture. Certainly the ffmpeg software takes advantage of that for most of their codecs.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

We've done testing with 64bit and it only makes a marginal difference when it comes to encoding speed. And for smart edits it makes zero difference, because the process is mostly I/O bound.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Anyone that claims porting a lot of legacy code to 64-bit is trivial really hasn't done a lot of code porting, IMO (not looking at you Tom, in general). And more importantly, there is little to no benefit in doing so for the vast majority of apps out there. Wasn't Office still 32-bit until 2010 came out? And even now, there's not much need for a 64-bit version of it.

The notion that Win9 won't support 32-bit apps is a non-starter, IMO.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
hoyty

Quote:
Wasn't Office still 32-bit until 2010 came out? And even now, there's not much need for a 64-bit version of it.

The notion that Win9 won't support 32-bit apps is a non-starter, IMO.
Actually Office 2013 is still 32 bit predominantly as well. The only thing that has 64-bit option is Access and Excel I think. Further MS recommends not installing 64-bit versions unless you actually need it due to compatibility.

They are bringing back the start menu in Windows 9, they showed a screen shot of it yesterday, which is for desktop users who will most likely be using legacy apps. Why would they do that and drop 32-bit.

Don't believe it.
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
stahta01
Simple Member

I think they will likely only be a 64 bit OS; but, still run 32 bit apps.

That is just my wild guess.

Tim S.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
hoyty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahta01 View Post
Yep, probably ARM based RT for Phone / Small tablet and 64 bit only x86-64 for laptop / desktop / server. They dropped 32-bit version of server 5 years ago. The 32-bit version of 8(.1) existed mostly for really low end x86 tablets which are slowly going away.
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
They are bringing back the start menu in Windows 9, they showed a screen shot of it yesterday, which is for desktop users who will most likely be using legacy apps.
Cool!

Looks like the trend of every other major version being a winner will continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahta01 View Post
That makes much more sense.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Cool!

Looks like the trend of every other major version being a winner will continue.

That makes much more sense.
On my Windows 8.1 I use a $5 program from Stardock that gives the same thing, start button and much more, makes Windows 8.1 look like windows 7.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
Am I just panic prone, or is Microsoft about to set a course with Windows 9 that leaves the video hobbiest out in the cold?

"Interestingly, Windows 9 might not include a “Desktop for running legacy Win32 apps,” according to “previous tips,” and will be updated “frequently and regularly” via the Windows Store."

Say good bye to Win 32 apps?

I am more inclined to shout "Say it ain't so!" First they abandon development of Windows Media Center.Now, I suppose we can say goodbye to TiVo Desktop software, VideoReDo, Total Media Theatre, Showbiz, Mediabrowser and a ton of other programs that are not 64 bit programs.

I am going to have to start looking at other OS options.
LIkely this was just an April Fools posting
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

I use that too. (Start8) I also use ModernMix which allows you to run Metro apps in a Window, which Win9 will also do. So I guess a few of their apps are going to get less useful once this lands.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
cherry ghost

They're bringing back the start menu before 9

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ndows-8-update
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
They're bringing back the start menu before 9

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ndows-8-update
Quote:
You may have noticed that we keep mentioning that these changes are coming in a future update — that’s because, unfortunately, that’s all the data Microsoft has given us. The Start menu is not being resurrected for Windows 8.1 Update 1 (due on April 8) — rather, there will be another update at some nebulous point in the future that will bring it back, along with windowed Metro feature, and presumably some other changes as well. We had originally heard that the Start menu wouldn’t be coming back until Windows 9, but perhaps its priority has been bumped up a bit — or, more likely, the exact product name/number is in flux. Given Windows 8′s poor adoption and tarnished reputation, I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft rushes to release Windows 9 — but who knows, maybe it will stick to its guns and push out Windows 8.1 Update 2 later this year.
Not necessarily.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #20
truman861

I've always said the day Microsift makes something that doesnt suck will be the day they start selling vacuum cleaners
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #21
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yeah, take your trolls somewhere else please. Plenty of MS stuff does not suck.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #22
moyekj

Linux systems we use at work have been 64 bit for a long, long time but also have 32 bit compatibility for older programs that are not 64 bit, so as mentioned highly doubtful it's going to be a problem for MSFT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #23
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Linux systems we use at work have been 64 bit for a long, long time but also have 32 bit compatibility for older programs that are not 64 bit, so as mentioned highly doubtful it's going to be a problem for MSFT.
Unless Windows 9 is going to 128 bits ??? Is anybody working on 128 bit hardware ??