TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

The Mysteries of Laura Pilot

The real mystery is how we made it through to the half-point before deleting the episode and the season pass. It was truly awful.

I really wanted to like it, but it was a mess.
Rainy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
hummingbird_206

I haven't watched it yet. I love Debra, so even if the pilot is a mess, I'll probably give it a few eps to improve.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I haven't watched it yet. I love Debra, so even if the pilot is a mess, I'll probably give it a few eps to improve.
$20 says you don't love her that much. This will be the first show gob-smacked from the schedule.

When people say "how did that get greenlit?", this is what they'll use as an example.

Seriously. Stunk.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
$20 says you don't love her that much. This will be the first show gob-smacked from the schedule.

When people say "how did that get greenlit?", this is what they'll use as an example.

Seriously. Stunk.
I will Not take that bet.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
ADG
Allan

awful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Gerryex

I guess I'm in a minority as I liked it!!! I know I'm inviting a bunch of negative comments but I thought it was much better than Brooklyn Nine Nine!

Gerry
Gerryex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Meh.

I wanted it to either go full comedy or full drama but it was stuck in some weird middle ground that just didn't work.

And whoever picked that swimsuit for Debra should be fired. She looked bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
hummingbird_206

It was ok. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. I do hate all of the kid crap. Hope they dial that down. I haven't deleted the SP, but I sure hope it gets better.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
It was ok. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. I do hate all of the kid crap. Hope they dial that down. I haven't deleted the SP, but I sure hope it gets better.
My feelings as well. As usual the previews gave too much away. The scene with the red walls/windows might have been funny, if I hadn't seen the punch line a hundred times already. And the spoiler of her punching her boss made it likely that he was involved in the crime somehow. I was surprised when the show started that he was the boss and not a known criminal. Don't like the ex as the new captain. I'll give it one more episode.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
stellie93

I liked the show, although one reason I was going to stick with it was that I love the guy from Veronica Mars who played her boss. I didn't see any spoilers.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
sharkster

All I've read so far were really bad reviews. I'm still going to watch the episode and see. I also like her, so I was hoping for the best.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
smbaker

3 minutes 30 seconds, before I realized this wasn't even worth playing in the background while working. Giving it access to a single brain cell worth of concentration would have been too much.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I was absolutely delighted with this show.

There's way too much worth watching on TV these days. I was delighted that it made it so easy to drop one from my list.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I was absolutely delighted with this show.

There's way too much worth watching on TV these days. I was delighted that it made it so easy to drop one from my list.

ej42137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
mr.unnatural

The wife and I just got through watching the pilot. I thought the comedy was way too forced and contrived. The only thing that would have made it worse was a laugh track.

I think the studio execs must have seen the writing of the wall on this show. I checked epguides.com and they only have six episodes listed. I'll be surprised if it lasts through all six.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
Edmund
Remote Czar

I liked it, saw it via hulu +, if they continue with more episodes on hulu+, I will watch them.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Flop

Absolutely, indubitably, horrifically, terribly, unbelievably bad. Someone must have called in a favor from a network exec to get this on the air. The only question is how big a favor was owed, which we'll be able to determine by how many episodes air before this gets canned.

Also, those two kids could use a visit from Adrian Peterson
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I liked the show, although one reason I was going to stick with it was that I love the guy from Veronica Mars who played her boss. I didn't see any spoilers.
Heh. Same here. But I don't think even HE could have saved it.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #19
mattack

Weird.. I thought it was a decent cop show.. As I said in the kids in the hospital show thread, I cancelled that one less than halfway through. This one was decent... decent enough that I'll watch at least another couple episodes.

Hahah, Veronica Mars.. I remember him from some much older show.. checked imdb.. Hope & Gloria.. 1995.. Yikes.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #20
Cainebj

Really bad. I also like Messing so I am going to give it one more episode to see if they made improvements after the pilot. but geez.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:53 AM   #21
Thom

After seeing Enrico Colantoni's (Messing's boss) work in Person of Interest, I have to say this show squandered a good actor.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Really bad. I also like Messing so I am going to give it one more episode to see if they made improvements after the pilot. but geez.
I think you're wrong. Maybe, if they make significant improvements after the pilot, it will become really bad. But it's not there yet.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #23
mr.unnatural

I give it a five turkey rating. Already dropped from my recording schedule. I had high hopes for this show, but they were quickly dashed before the first commercial break. I'm usually more patient with new shows with the hope that they will get better, but I can't see myself wasting any more time on this one. It's sad because there's a lot of good acting talent going to waste here. Massing's boss only had a brief stint so they could bring in her ex as the new boss. I predict this will be one of the first casualties of the new season.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #24
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
After seeing Enrico Colantoni's (Messing's boss) work in Person of Interest, I have to say this show squandered a good actor.
This.

But, otherwise, I really didn't think it was all that terrible. Kitschy, yes, but I didn't wish for those 42 (or whatever) minutes back.

Sidenote - As for Colantoni, I also thought he was amazing as Gianni Versace. Of course, I'll never forget him in 'Just Shoot Me'.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #25
Ben_Jamin75

I liked it.

Season pass remains intact. If it gets cancelled I won't be heartbroken, but it was good filler when I had nothing else to watch.
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #26
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

Sidenote - As for Colantoni, I also thought he was amazing as Gianni Versace. Of course, I'll never forget him in 'Just Shoot Me'.
Or Galaxy Quest!
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #27
mm2margaret
Meagan

Whew! DElighted to DElete!
Old 09-21-2014, 04:03 AM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

NPR's TV critic Linda Holmes (@nprmonkeysee) has been making fun of this for months since she first heard about the concept and then saw the pilot. She even came up with a theme song for the show.

Quote:
Copmom/Momcop

She's a cop, she's a mom

Copmom/Momcop

She's a mom, she's a cop

Momcop/Copmom

Copmom Momcop, bad guys go down

Momcop Copmom, she will turn this car around

etc.
You can even hear her singing a version of the song here.

Suffice it to say, she thought the whole concept was ridiculous, as if it's somehow uncommon for a woman to be both a mother and be good at her job.

Based on hers, and several other reviews I've seen of the show, I didn't even bother giving the pilot a chance.

However, since NBC was smart and debuted it after the season finale of America's Got Talent, the show actually ended up with a 2.0 (Adults 18-49) and 10 million viewers, which is pretty decent these days. But I suspect the drop from the pilot to the second episode will be pretty severe.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #29
Howie
Out of Pocket

I made it through about 10 minutes when the kids got paint everywhere. I guess that was supposed to be funny. It wasn't. Deleted, cancelled.
Howie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #30
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
However, since NBC was smart and debuted it after the season finale of America's Got Talent, the show actually ended up with a 2.0 (Adults 18-49) and 10 million viewers, which is pretty decent these days. But I suspect the drop from the pilot to the second episode will be pretty severe.
Adding up the posts in this thread, there are 8 who will keep watching (even if only one more), and 11 who said good-bye. I didn't count those who gave up w/o watching, or haven't watched yet.

This can't be good for the ratings.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote