TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

Metal Hurlant Chronicals?

SyFy is going to air a show called Metal Hurlant Chronicles. It looks like another import since my tivo's description says it's from 2013. I figure somebody here must have seen it already. After briefly checking online, it's based on a comic book series. Is it worth watching?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
justen_m

I'm wondering too.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
gweempose

Just looked it up on IMDB. It appears to be a Twilight Zone type of show where each episode stands on its own. I'll definitely check it out. When does SyFy start airing it?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
getreal
postcrastinator

Heavy Metal magazine was a European import of Metal Hurlant comics in the mid-70s. Each issue featured a number of sci-fi/fantasy stories. There was a Heavy Metal animated movie which did various stories based on the comics, but the animation was 80s-90s cel animation.

If this show lives up to the comic books' standards, then this should be a good series. I expect a sexy Twilight Zone, as the comics featured a lot of naked/sexy women. As a huge HM comics fan, I'm gonna' check it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
mr.unnatural

I set up my season pass as soon as it showed up in the schedule. I heard about this one a while back on The Futon Critic and have been looking forward to it ever since. I was a fan of the Heavy Metal magazines back in the 70's as well as the animated movie that was based on several of the recurring strips that appeared.

It will be interesting to see what kind of animation they use. As long as it's not Anime I'll probably be in for the long haul. I always thought Anime was really cheesy. They sometimes had some great graphics, but the animation was severely lacking and just looked really low budget. The only thing worse was with cartoons like Clutch Cargo where the graphics were static and they superimposed someone's mouth over the caracter's face to show the lips moving.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

I could be wrong but I think it's live actors, not animation.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
randian

I'm pretty sure this is live action, not animation.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
mr.unnatural

I just assumed it was animated based on the source material. I just checked the SyFy website and you are correct, it is filmed with live actors.

It's scheduled for a one-hour time slot, but each episode is only 1/2 hour and there are only 12 episodes. I believe Defiance starts with season 2 in the same time slot the week after MHC concludes.

FYI - There's a Defiance marathon all day on May 26th airing all of season 1 if you missed any of the shows.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
... It's scheduled for a one-hour time slot, but each episode is only 1/2 hour and there are only 12 episodes.
So, does that mean they will insert 30 minutes of commercial interruptions during the 60 minute broadcast, or air two back-to-back episodes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
So, does that mean they will insert 30 minutes of commercial interruptions during the 60 minute broadcast, or air two back-to-back episodes?
Two back-to-back episodes.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
KDeFlane

Just a heads up: "Metal Hurlant Chronicles" premieres tonight. I set up my season pass and wanted only new eps, but i needed to select "New & Reruns" to have it automatically set to record (probably because this is an import from France which aired in 2013). Also, be aware that SyFy is airing them out of order, which really shouldn't matter for an anthology series. There were only two seasons of 6 half-hours each, and we'll be getting our 12 half-hours in pairs. (Tonight's are #101 and #202)
KDeFlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
gweempose

Very excited for this!
(3) Minis

Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
cheesesteak
Meh.

I watched the first two episodes. Not really my thing but it wasn't bad. I'll let them build up and watch them when I have spare time.

Judging from the first two, it looks like the stories will all have a twist at the end.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
DLiquid
Progressive User

I watched the first episode. Had to endure a lot of cheesiness to get to that lackluster twist. Not sure I will watch more of this show.

I might need this to be animated with some Blue Oyster Cult playing in the background in order to enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMs085guB7Q

Last edited by DLiquid : 04-15-2014 at 01:10 PM.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
mr.unnatural

Watched the first episode last night as well. Pretty cheesy, but right up SyFy's alley when it comes to quality entertainment. This is more along the lines of their made for TV movies of the week.

I looked this up on epguides.com and it lists the first six episodes airing in Oct/Nov 2012 and the last six airing in April/May 2014. The original series apparently aired in Germany and is making it's U.S. debut on SyFy. It looks like they're pairing one of the older episodes with one of the newer ones each week. Now I'll have to check out the 2nd episode and see if the new series has improved any vs. the original.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #16
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

The sheer weirdness will keep me watching.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
IDSmoker

Since this is the closest the network has come to Sci-Fi recently (not counting wrestling of course! <grin>), I kinda feel obligated to watch it.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDSmoker View Post
Since this is the closest the network has come to Sci-Fi recently (not counting wrestling of course! <grin>), I kinda feel obligated to watch it.
You must have missed Defiance?

They also have some other actual sci-fi shows coming up in the next few months. Sounds like there's been a sea-change in management...Bonnie Hammer no longer in charge?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
IDSmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
You must have missed Defiance? They also have some other actual sci-fi shows coming up in the next few months. Sounds like there's been a sea-change in management...Bonnie Hammer no longer in charge?
Defiance? How many years has it been since the last episode? (that's how it feels anyway... I hope they do one of those 'previously on' episodes to remind me what's going on).

I also have high hopes for the new series I've heard of.

Maybe they can go back to the old network name now?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDSmoker View Post
Defiance? How many years has it been since the last episode? (that's how it feels anyway... I hope they do one of those 'previously on' episodes to remind me what's going on).
I recently deleted the last three unwatched episodes of Defiance. I thought it had been canceled, it has been so long.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #21
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post

I recently deleted the last three unwatched episodes of Defiance. I thought it had been canceled, it has been so long.
It might as well have been cancelled. The show sucks. And this is coming from someone who really wanted to like it.
(3) Minis

Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
It might as well have been cancelled. The show sucks. And this is coming from someone who really wanted to like it.
Hence the unwatched episodes sitting on my DVR for months.

I really wanted to like it too.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #23
Howie
Out of Pocket

I did like it somewhat. So I guess it's coming back?
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #24
mr.unnatural

The last few episodes of Defiance were probably some of the best. The story got very interesting at the end of the first season. I'm looking forward to the new season when it starts in the next couple of months.

I watched the 2nd episode of MHC last night. I hope there weren't any kids watching this one because they'll probably have nightmares about the Easter Bunny. I know I had flashbacks to Monty Python and the Holy Grail after watching it.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
ehusen
Geek not Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
The last few episodes of Defiance were probably some of the best. The story got very interesting at the end of the first season. I'm looking forward to the new season when it starts in the next couple of months.

I watched the 2nd episode of MHC last night. I hope there weren't any kids watching this one because they'll probably have nightmares about the Easter Bunny. I know I had flashbacks to Monty Python and the Holy Grail after watching it.
If the kids are scared of giant bunnies, don't you think the crazed orc/cyborg monster would scare them?

Yeah as soon as the bunny wandered away at the end I knew the "twist" was coming up. I immediately thought of Pokemon, this kid kind of looked like Ash right? Then I thought of "Night of the Lepus"... Then I thought, "I really watch some bad SciFi...". Oh well, they are short and quickly consumed so I will keep the season pass.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #26
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehusen View Post
Yeah as soon as the bunny wandered away at the end I knew the "twist" was coming up.
I knew from the first frame with the bunny in it.

Plus the title was meant as a play on "lagomorph".

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
What happened at the end of the 2nd episode, I lost the last 2 mins just as the guy and the kid reached the machine
Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #28
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post

What happened at the end of the 2nd episode, I lost the last 2 mins just as the guy and the kid reached the machine
Spoiler:
They got to the portal, and the rabbit hopped into it and turned into a huge ferocious beast. The twist was that the boy was just the animal's trainer, and the rabbit was the endomorphe. the final shot shows the boy riding on top of the rabbit.

The show is pretty bad so far. About the only thing I enjoyed was some of the fight choreography. If these are the best stories they can come up with, I may have to bail on this one.
(3) Minis

Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #29
sieglinde

Defiance is coming back in June. I will continue to watch Metal Hurlant because it is eposodic rather than a story arc.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #30
KDeFlane

Metal Hurlant new timeslot

DVR alert: SyFy has moved the timeslot for Metal Hurlant from 8pm to 10pm starting tonight. (My TiVo schedule has not yet updated? As of this morning, it is still showing 8pm in the guide listings.) (Should I post this in the alerts forum as well?)
KDeFlane is offline   Reply With Quote