TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Once Upon A Time "A Tale of Two Sisters" (S4E01, 9/28/14, Spoilers)

Not sure if this show is one that will have enough interest in an episode thread or not, but here is one anyway.

First, Once has always been based on the Disney versions of the fairy tales. I don't think there's any doubt. Still, they've hinted at the Disney origins here and there, but haven't been particularly blatant about it - until this episode. One anvil was the dance between Belle and Mr. Gold to the instrumental theme to "Beauty and the Beast." Both of us here (almost simultaneously) went "Really!??!" when that started playing.

Then, the whole Frozen storyline. It wasn't "Here's this plot that was sort of inspired by the Snow Queen fairy tale," it was "This is basically Frozen 2: Frozen Boogaloo." The characters -- all of them, from the king and queen, to Elsa and Anna, to Sven and Kristoff, even the trolls and the Snow Monster -- are almost exactly as they were in the movie, and the plot line basically starts off following the events of the movie. And if that wasn't anvil-icious enough, the scene with Emma and Regina on each side of the door was basically cribbed from the end of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?"

I'm not sure how I feel about that. A part of me thinks this is a bit Frozen overload. Yes, it was a good movie, but this feels a bit much. Still, I thought they did a decent job at casting Anna. She did remind me of Kristen Bell's voice performance. Elsa seemed to go in a slightly different direction from that in the movie, though.

Other random thoughts:
- Interesting to see Sidney pop back up. Convenient that he pops back up as soon as Giancarlo Esposito's other series got canceled.
- Why have I never noticed how girly Hook's earring is before now? Yes, I know, he wears guy-liner, so I suppose he's allowed.
- The hat at the end reminded me very strongly of The Sorcerer's Apprentice. I wonder where they're going with that. Hopefully not another anvil-icious reference to the Disney world...

Last edited by LoadStar : 09-28-2014 at 10:55 PM.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
realityboy

I haven't watched this yet. Also, I haven't seen Frozen. Does that help explain the new characters or are they pretty much self explanatory?
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
I haven't watched this yet. Also, I haven't seen Frozen. Does that help explain the new characters or are they pretty much self explanatory?
I'd say you could sort of figure out what's what... but it would be far more relevant if you had seen the movie.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'd say you could sort of figure out what's what... but it would be far more relevant if you had seen the movie.
Ok thanks. I may save this one for awhile. Frozen's on my to watch list, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I have not seen the movie and I was able to follow things well enough
Old 09-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
JYoung
Series 3

I guess Kristen Bell wasn't available.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
BitbyBlit

I haven't seen Frozen, and I didn't have a problem following the story.

One interesting thing will be to find out if Frozen is a movie in the Once Upon a Time universe. In most shows, I wouldn't expect them to make references like that. But in this show, the people in Emma's world know about the same fairy tales as in our world. So I wonder if anyone there has seen Frozen, and knows at least some version of their story, or if Elsa and whoever else might show up from her world will be complete unknowns.

Next week it appears that:

Spoiler:
Elsa traps Emma between walls of ice.

So maybe the people of Storybrooke will need to stream Frozen on Netflix (which we know from this episode does exist in the Once universe) in order to learn about Elsa, and save the day.