TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Would you buy an external OTA tuner?
Yes 64 40.00%
Maybe, depends on price 41 25.63%
No, I don't need it 55 34.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

Plus/Pro owners, would you buy add-on OTA tuner?

If TiVo offered an external OTA tuner for the Roamio that allowed you to record both cable and OTA at the same time would you buy one? If so would it have to have 6 tuners? Or would 2-4 tuners be OK? And would you prefer it to be network based, like an HDHomeRun, or USB connected directly to the TiVo? What would you expect something like this to cost?

Personally I would love something like this, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Sounds like your describing the regular Roamio, doesn't it do both OTA and cable?
I bought the Pro cause I'm I Vz/cable junkie, not interested in OTA and if I am I would just use my Premiere.

So for me I guess the answer is no, I would not be interested.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If TiVo offered an external OTA tuner for the Roamio that allowed you to record both cable and OTA at the same time would you buy one? If so would it have to have 6 tuners? Or would 2-4 tuners be OK? And would you prefer it to be network based, like an HDHomeRun, or USB connected directly to the TiVo? What would you expect something like this to cost?

Personally I would love something like this, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one.
I absolutely would. One day I will cut the cord and would prefer my Pro not to become a paperweight.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
Sounds like your describing the regular Roamio, doesn't it do both OTA and cable?
Base Roamio must be setup for either OTA or cable. It cannot do both at the same like a Series 3 or 2-tuner Premiere.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

I would buy it in a heartbeat. Even though I have cable, I like the backup ability of OTA.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
midas
I heard that

Yes, I would buy it. When I was with DirecTV I actually owned two of their OTA add-ons (AM21). But yes, it would have to have the capabilities for all 6 tuners to work. I'd do the same thing I did before and move all the season passes I could to OTA. In most cases the picture quality OTA is superior.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

For me I wouldn't really need all 6 tuners. An asymmetrical system where I only had 2 OTA tuners but 6 cable tuners (but could only record from a combination of 6 at a time regardless) would be fine. The only reason I need OTA at all is because there is one channel in my area that broadcasts in HD via OTA but is only available on cable as SD. (not sure why) So I have to use a HDHomeRun to record that channel and then manually copy the shows over to my TiVo. It's a bit of a PITA and I'd much rather just record that channel directly on my TiVo instead.

I doubt TiVo will actually ever do this, but a guy can hope.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
jcthorne

I am not a Plus or Pro owner but I voted yes anyway. If this was available, I likely would have considered a Plus or Pro rather than the basic model.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Dan, I am OTA only so I didn't answer your poll, but would love to see TiVo add a network attached OTA tuner like an HDHomeRun that could be accessed/used by any Premiere, Roamio, Mini, and any phone, tablet or computer running TiVo software/apps, including out of the home remote access.

I would also love to see TiVo provide access to Dish Network and Direct TV via the same type of network attached Satellite tuner and think the FCC should mandate such access.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
mpaquette

I definitely would purchase it as long as it had a minimum of 4 tuners. Wouldn't matter to me if it were USB or network based. I don't understand why TiVo didn't go with the external add-on OTA tuner in the first place with the Roamio.
mpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
andyf

I voted no, don't need it. Use cable exclusively unless it goes out, in which case I have an antenna plugged into the TV, in those times I need some kind of TV to watch.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

I voted no because I have a Roamio Basic dedicated to OTA. My Roamio Pro is used with FiOS and it already uses all six tuners concurrently at some point almost every day. So I would rather keep OTA separate. Plus I like having a second box as a backup. If something happens to my Roamio PRo, at least I have the option of using my Roamio Basic with OTA or moving the cable card to it so I can at least have four tuners to record from FiOS if I have to.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I absolutely would. One day I will cut the cord and would prefer my Pro not to become a paperweight.
Same thought here.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #14
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Absolutely, unless the cost was unreasonable.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Base Roamio must be setup for either OTA or cable. It cannot do both at the same like a Series 3 or 2-tuner Premiere.
And it is crappy plastic case, non-standard component size, has no built-in Stream, and lacks some other stuff I can't remember right now.

Having an optional OTA tuner for the Standard/Pro is actually a great idea. And if reasonably priced, I would certainly buy it... because OTA is a MUCH better picture than Cox cable, and probably MOST cable companies. It is a great backup if your cable fails. And it also keeps your expensive TiVo from being a brick if you suddenly decide you want to ditch cable.

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt it would ever happen.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
davidjplatt

Depends on cost, number of tuners, restrictions

I would consider it depending on cost, number of OTA tuners. If it added two OTA tuners and blockee two cable card tuners all the time, probably not. If it preempted a cable tuner when the OTA was in use I would probably buy one.

Of course it would depend on cost. I wouldn't spend $200 on an OTA tuner. I would continue to use my HD HomeRun OTA tuners on a PC for OTA.
davidjplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #17
ciscokid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I voted no because I have a Roamio Basic dedicated to OTA. My Roamio Pro is used with FiOS and it already uses all six tuners concurrently at some point almost every day. So I would rather keep OTA separate. Plus I like having a second box as a backup. If something happens to my Roamio PRo, at least I have the option of using my Roamio Basic with OTA or moving the cable card to it so I can at least have four tuners to record from FiOS if I have to.
Are you serious?

I'm curious..........How much TV do you watch in a typical day if your DVR is recording 6 shows at some poit everydaY/
ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjplatt View Post
I would consider it depending on cost, number of OTA tuners. If it added two OTA tuners and blockee two cable card tuners all the time, probably not. If it preempted a cable tuner when the OTA was in use I would probably buy one.

Of course it would depend on cost. I wouldn't spend $200 on an OTA tuner. I would continue to use my HD HomeRun OTA tuners on a PC for OTA.
I assume it would work like the old S2DT units where it would just have asymmetrical scheduling. You could still only record 6 shows at once but using any combination of the tuners available.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #19
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

You are not alone, Dan203.

I hate that I had to get three Roamio base models. I'd much rather have the design and features of the 6-tuner models.

It's very possible that cord-cutting may be a part of my future, or it just may be too expensive to keep cable in the future, depending on how things go.

There was no way I was going to buy 6-tuner models, pay for LTS, then possibly not be able to use them for FREE OTA.

Friends and family felt the same way. 6 tuners was nice, but 4 tuners, plus ability to change to OTA, was the clear choice for them.

There's also no way I'm ever buying a Mini, unless TiVo comes out with something extremely different from what it is now, and that doesn't go belly-up without a constant, reliable, real-time internet connection to the real-time TiVo servers (not to mention when those servers have issues).
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:41 AM   #20
Thom

Yes. I didn't buy a Plus or a Pro because they did not offer Over The Air recording. Instead, I bought base Roamios.

I would love to see them put out a software upgrade for Plus/Pro that integrated a Silicondust HD Homerun into the Roamios. Sadly, I don't expect this to ever happen.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
abovethesink

I am curious. Having always lived in rural areas, I only have ever had CBS, ABC, and PBS over the air. Where I am currently at it is PBS only. How many channels OTA do some get if six tuners could ever be needed? Isn't only the historic big four, the CW, and PBS that broadcasts OTA? I guess that is six, but what are the odds something would be on the same channels at the same time that you wanted to watch?
abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #22
midas
I heard that

I get 27 channels, and that doesn't count the foreign language or religious channels.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #23
keenanSR

Absolutely I would buy one, I hate the fact that my Roamio Basic can only be used for either/or. There are several channels in my area that have better quality via OTA than they do from Comcast. I miss this ability to get OTA that I had with my Series 3 HD.

TiVo could come out with one like this that DIRECTV has to add-on OTA reception to their satellite DVRs. It connects via a USB cable, the case is way bigger than it needs to be as they wanted it to match the case size on their DVRs when stacked.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovethesink View Post
I am curious. Having always lived in rural areas, I only have ever had CBS, ABC, and PBS over the air. Where I am currently at it is PBS only. How many channels OTA do some get if six tuners could ever be needed? Isn't only the historic big four, the CW, and PBS that broadcasts OTA? I guess that is six, but what are the odds something would be on the same channels at the same time that you wanted to watch?
Sub channels some PBS stations have the main feed, world, and create. They are a number of classic TV channels running a sub channels on some others. TV networks can no longer be counted on to re-run episodes on shows you watch so it's best to record them when you can. It's easier to occupy 4 to 5 tuners than you would think and six on occasion.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #25
zalusky

I watch very few OTA channels. I prefer the shows I get on pay channels.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #26
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
There's also no way I'm ever buying a Mini, unless TiVo comes out with something extremely different from what it is now, and that doesn't go belly-up without a constant, reliable, real-time internet connection to the real-time TiVo servers (not to mention when those servers have issues).
Mini doesn't go belly-up when the TiVo Internet is down. My wife uses the Mini on a kitchen TV, she can watch a live tuner, or anything on any TiVo. She has never had a single issue.

Yes I am aware of TiVo's internet issues (C133? or something).

Yes I am aware of weird issues when that happens. Can't delete scheduled recordings, or whatever.

Yes I wish they would fix it.

But it doesn't have one single effect on the Mini that we're aware of. I'm not going to say it doesn't possibly cause a problem, but the basic reason most people have a Mini, to watch TV & recordings, works without a hitch.

Don't paint your problems with a broad belly-up. Lots of us are happy.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post

Are you serious?

I'm curious..........How much TV do you watch in a typical day if your DVR is recording 6 shows at some poit everydaY/
Sometimes none, sometimes one or two, and sometimes more. I don't even come anywhere close to watching half of what I record. But I want a lot of choices when I sit down to watch tv.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovethesink View Post
I can easily find six things to watch from Ota during the regular tv season. But there are also dozens of sub channels with content too. Of course I wouldn't necessarily watch it all, even though I might like to. But I don't have that much time.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #29
zgamer

That was the big reason why I went with a base Roamio, I wanted the flexibility of not being tied to the cable company. I really wanted the Plus for the extra tuners and integrated stream.

FWIW, I also keep my HD around because it had the ability to handle both Cable + OTA at the same time, something that was sorely lacking in the Roamio line.
zgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #30
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Mini doesn't go belly-up when the TiVo Internet is down. My wife uses the Mini on a kitchen TV, she can watch a live tuner, or anything on any TiVo. She has never had a single issue.

Yes I am aware of TiVo's internet issues (C133? or something).

Yes I am aware of weird issues when that happens. Can't delete scheduled recordings, or whatever.

Yes I wish they would fix it.

But it doesn't have one single effect on the Mini that we're aware of. I'm not going to say it doesn't possibly cause a problem, but the basic reason most people have a Mini, to watch TV & recordings, works without a hitch.

Don't paint your problems with a broad belly-up. Lots of us are happy.
For the record, it wasn't long ago I made several posts around TCF praising the Roamio, and stating I'd been mostly quiet because I was happy.

Around the same time, the "random reboots" which TiVoMarget confirmed were TiVo Service related, began, followed by them stopping, but lingering issues remained for me. It had also been easy not to bring up the real-time internet communications dependence, as it's easier to nearly forget about, when the last outage, caused on TiVo's end, was becoming more, and more, of a distant memory. This cause-effect relationship is not limited to just me.

I did say "no way I'm ever buying a Mini, unless TiVo comes out with something extremely different from what it is now", unless the state of things changes (perhaps a whole new product), when C133, and other real-time service related issues come up. But, the current Mini is just not the product I want, or need, as a whole. I have no use for it as the product it is. Summon the firing squad for me using the words "belly-up". Two words...

Did I ever say I owned one (or have ever owned one), and was speaking from personal experience? NO. That makes it impossible for me to be "painting my problems". I have a right to decide not to own one, and there's no rule that says I'm not allowed to say why.

Since I formed my opinions, which formed my decisions (which was what I shared) based on what others have reported, why should I be the villain, for simply steering clear of a product that others have documented their multiple issues with in times of TiVo real-time service outages (and full outages, where the manual connections didn't work, either)?

Dan203 has had the worst possible luck (or timing), in that nearly every time he set one up, changed his channel lineup, and maybe made a few other configuration changes (which likely re-invoked guided setup, or at minimum required connectivity), he found himself with a temporary brick. How/why? He started the changes without knowing the TiVo service was down, or would go down when doing so (see the threads documenting the nationwide TiVo service outages, if you don't believe me).

At least, as has also been documented, you can somewhat clear up the (messed-up) state of an actual TiVo by unplugging the network cable from it (during such issues), so it senses no network at all, which gives more functionality (on a TiVo, not a mini). This workaround to get a TiVo to a better state, can't work on a mini, since it needs that connection to do anything at all (other than be a paperweight). If you choose the route of multiple TiVos, instead of one TiVo and the rest Minis, the odds would very likely be that you wouldn't go and re-run and setups, or make configuration changes to all, at the very same time, leaving you with maybe one TiVo stuck in limbo, and you have redundancy in place for these scenarios.

This same sort or logic has been shared, by others, in other scenarios. Example: Who would want to beta-test, or participate in a main-unit TiVo software field trial, of those who have just one TiVo DVR, and everything else is Minis, and risk having nothing working, or not working well enough to not miss recordings? I felt that was a good point. It's also backed up by more than one post from TiVoMargret asking for volunteers to go sign up for that, with enticing words of how cool it would be helping, and being involved more directly. It's been quite a while since I've seen TiVo so actively seeking out volunteers. There had been a post here and there passively suggesting it, which is now more of an active "recruiting", or seeking-out.

I had taken a moment to consider if the last few lines of that post should stay, or if I should go back and take that out (to prevent topic-drift). I did actually take the time to think it through. I felt that great elaborating on all the details (like I now have to, defending myself), would be taking it even more Off-Topic, than a mere additional shared thought.

If you had PM'd me, and were decent in your approach, I may have come back and pulled that last comment, before it wound up quoted (which was your doing). Too late now. If I spent any more time than I already do, reviewing and re-reviewing my posts, it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to bother contributing anything to the forum.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-05-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo/grammar
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote