TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #1
Doit2it

Pixelization due to internet use

Xfinity digital starter package with a Tivo Premiere XL4 with a Motorola MS CC installed.

Recently, whenever I use the internet (via WiFi or wired Ethernet) it causes my HD rebroadcast channels (local) to pixelate, dropout, and sound stutter. This doesn't happen to other stations (CNN, MTV, USA, etc) and doesn't happen with the SD local channels. This happens with my phone or tablet (WiFi) and with my desktop (wired Ethernet).

The cable modem and Tivo are about 3 feet apart, as they always have been. I don't think it's a shielding issue because this just started within the past month.

I've checked all my connections, other than that, I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

It's typically shielding, damaged splitters, damaged coax lines... Do you happen to have a drop amp that might be amp'ing the line to the modem?
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Doit2it

Finally tracked it down. It was two splitters. I had one splitter to the cable modem and to a second splitter. The second splitter went to my Tivo and direct to the TV.

First I removed the second splitter and only one line to the Tivo. No change.
Swapped splitters to see if it was primary splitter. No change.
Then I swapped the lines one by one. No change.
Then I ran a line from my living room to the bedroom thinking it was internal wiring (ground). No change.
I even used an old 3 prong plug/wire to temporarily ground the splitter. No change.
Finally I grabbed an old splitter out of a drawer. Salvation!

I don't know how two splitters went bad. Maybe there was a surge that ruined them but no equipment. Just glad I can again surf the net during primetime and not render recordings unwatchable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote