TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
jimlau

Clock Not Right

I have series 4 premiere. the clock is about 10 seconds ahead of true time, and shows are thus being cut. how can i change the clock?

thanks.
jimlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlau View Post
I have series 4 premiere. the clock is about 10 seconds ahead of true time, and shows are thus being cut. how can i change the clock?

thanks.
What are you basing 'true time' off of? You can't change the clock, it is re-synched every time the Tivo connects.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

I would wager the 10 second differential you see is mostly due to a cable company lag. I just checked my TiVoHD's time against my automatic clock and they were within 1 second of each other. I record OTA and cable and always see a 5 to 20 second delay in my local channels coming over cable.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

You can't go by when a show starts or ends. Those are often off by a bit. Some networks are worse than others.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:

thanks.
Force a reconnect on the TiVo. While it runs, force a reconnect on your computer. Then test the time difference.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
jimlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Force a reconnect on the TiVo. While it runs, force a reconnect on your computer. Then test the time difference.
how do I do that?

the time is definitely off. even if it was a cable delay, i would be stuck always adding an extra minute, a pain.
jimlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
how do I do that?

the time is definitely off. even if it was a cable delay, i would be stuck always adding an extra minute, a pain.
TIVO Central->Setting & Messages->Settings=>Network & Phone->Connect to the TiVo Service Now. It takes about 5 minutes.

Windows 7->Change time & date settings...-->Internet Time->Change Settings->Update Now. Repeat "update now" until it works.

Any changes after this are clock drift. I can't fix that.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
pmiranda

Quote:
how do I do that?

At least half the shows I watch either run late or are actually longer by a whole minute because of the (for me) outdated assumption that it will hook you into watching the next show. So I pad almost everything by a minute on the end and sometimes miss the first few seconds of show when there's a conflict.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Underlying issue?

If your Tivo's clock is off by 10 minutes, that means it hasn't connected to the TiVo Service in quite awhile.

You might want to be investigating why that is not happening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
At least half the shows I watch either run late or are actually longer by a whole minute because of the (for me) outdated assumption that it will hook you into watching the next show. So I pad almost everything by a minute on the end and sometimes miss the first few seconds of show when there's a conflict.
With my new Roamio I now pad all new season passes with a minute at the beginning and end. (Slowly adding that to most of my older season passes also.) I have not run into any conflicts yet. Six tuners is great!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Time_Lord

Some minor trivia with time, the most common time source people use now is GPS based however UTC and NIST (which is the "National Institute of Standards and Technology") have the official clocks, these clocks are I believe 16 seconds BEHIND the GPS clocks due to leap seconds.

The earth is slowing down (I think somebody wanted to get off) so we need to adjust the clocks.

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If your Tivo's clock is off by 10 minutes, that means it hasn't connected to the TiVo Service in quite awhile.

You might want to be investigating why that is not happening.
Seconds not minutes.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
Some minor trivia with time, the most common time source people use now is GPS based however UTC and NIST (which is the "National Institute of Standards and Technology") have the official clocks, these clocks are I believe 16 seconds BEHIND the GPS clocks due to leap seconds.

The earth is slowing down (I think somebody wanted to get off) so we need to adjust the clocks.

-TL
So which is correct?

I thought I read that the NIST adjusted their clocks to compensate.

Last edited by waynomo : 03-27-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
tatergator1

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/utcnist.cfm

Quote:
The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a constellation of satellites each carrying multiple atomic clocks. The time on each satellite is derived by steering the on-board atomic clocks to the time scale at the GPS Master Control Station, which is monitored and compared to UTC(USNO). Since GPS time does not adjust for leap seconds, it is ahead of UTC(USNO) by the integer number of leap seconds that have occurred since January 6, 1980 plus or minus a small number of nanoseconds. However, the time offset from UTC is contained in the GPS broadcast message and is usually applied automatically by GPS receivers.
So, UTC/NIST is the "true" time, but most GPS receivers automatically apply the UTC offset to GPS time so you're still seeing UTC on your GPS device.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post

So, UTC/NIST is the "true" time, but most GPS receivers automatically apply the UTC offset to GPS time so you're still seeing UTC on your GPS device.
Yes and no, the GPS is applying your offset to UTC, however it is not accounting for leap seconds so the time displayed is not true UTC.

See this page http://www.leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm of course the clock shown is based upon your computer's clock but it does show the time differences between the different standards.
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
You can't go by when a show starts or ends. Those are often off by a bit. Some networks are worse than others.
Yep, they do that on purpose.
Just to mess with us DVR users.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #17
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
Seconds not minutes.
D'oh!

F*CK CANCER!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #18
truman861

I have had this same problem for years and years, the problem lies with your tv provider and i can say that with certainty after researching this like you wouldnt believe as it aggrivated the crap out of me.
I also have a roamio and pad my stuff by a min at the end, exception is where there is two episodes back to back - example pawn stars, storage wars etc and it auto pads for me which is really cool.
Sorry, theres not really a better way to resolve.
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
sharkster

Suddenly, just over the last week or less, I have noticed that my Tivo time is about 15 seconds behind. It hasn't had any adverse effect on anything, but it just seems odd. Maybe it will adjust itself, so I haven't worried about it.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
JoeKustra
Cable only

How is the clock set?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #21
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Suddenly, just over the last week or less, I have noticed that my Tivo time is about 15 seconds behind. It hasn't had any adverse effect on anything, but it just seems odd. Maybe it will adjust itself, so I haven't worried about it.
How can you tell what the time is on your TiVo to 15 seconds?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #22
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
How is the clock set?
Any time the Tivo calls in to the Tivo Service to get guide updates, etc., the time is updated.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #23
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
How can you tell what the time is on your TiVo to 15 seconds?
Just watch the time on your TiVo and see when it changes from one minute to the next. Then just compare to one of the many sources available to get accurate time. I use a Casio watch which gets the atomic time signal from Ft. Collins Co. I just checked and the watch and the TiVo are right to the second.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #24
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
Just watch the time on your TiVo and see when it changes from one minute to the next. Then just compare to one of the many sources available to get accurate time. I use a Casio watch which gets the atomic time signal from Ft. Collins Co. I just checked and the watch and the TiVo are right to the second.
Thanks for my doh moment!

I have seconds displayed on my mobile phone with an app called Seconds Clock Widget. These days the time at least on my phone is very accurate. It didn't always used to be. Someone mentioned that these days time on our phones is set by GPS. I wonder if that is true.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #25
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Any time the Tivo calls in to the Tivo Service to get guide updates, etc., the time is updated.
Yeah, I noticed that mine corrected yesterday.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #26
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post

Actually, TAI, International Atomic Time, is the "true" time and UTC is offset from it by the total cumulative leap seconds. UTC is discontinuous at leap seconds. GPS time is offset from it by the leap seconds already accumulated at the start of GPS time, but not since.

However, the GPS navigational message includes the GPS to UTC time offset. I have never seen a GPS receiver that does not utilize it. Time zone and DST offsets may be left to the user or also applied automatically.

UTC is designed to tick with the atomic clock but approximate mean solar time on earth (earth rotational time) through leap seconds.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #27
mpnret

Wow lots of info about time. All I know is my Casio watch syncs to the atomic clock in Colorado and matches my TiVo to the second and I never pad recordings. Unless it's for some other reason than time.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #28
rich
Final answer?

Yeah, lots of my recordings fall about 10 seconds short, especially on certain channels like TLC and Spike. I have just started padding those shows by a minute at the end to compensate. It's frustrating.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #29
waynomo
My One Time

Speaking of NIST...

NIST-F1 is old news. NIST-F2 is the new standard.

How the U.S. Built the World's Most Ridiculously Accurate Atomic Clock

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/nist-atomic-clock/

Throw out that lame old atomic clock that's only accurate to a few tens of quadrillionths of a second. The U.S. has introduced a new atomic clock that is three times more accurate than previous devices.

Atomic clocks are responsible for synchronizing time for much of our technology, including electric power grids, GPS, and the watch on your iPhone. On Apr. 3, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in Boulder, Colorado officially launched their newest standard for measuring time using the NIST-F2 atomic clock, which has been under development for more than a decade.