TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
mcf57

Question Question about getting lifetime on a 4-tuner Premiere?

I am thinking of getting a 4-tuner Roamio to add to my setup. I currently have some 2-tuner premieres and a mini (all lifetimed) along with a 4-Tuner premiere (monthly).

I have some Best Buy Reward Zone certificates so would like to get it there if possible. I know TiVo is starting to hand out $99 lifetime offers for premieres? Would they possibly do this as well for a 4-tuner premiere if I upgrade to the Roamio (but get it from Best Buy)? Or is this $99 lifetime offer for Series 4s pretty much if you get a Roamio directly from them?
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Teeps

The $99 lifetime offers appear to be on a case by case basis, therefore.
Since TiVo is "selling" the service; your questions are best answered by TiVo.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I am thinking of getting a 4-tuner Roamio to add to my setup. I currently have some 2-tuner premieres and a mini (all lifetimed) along with a 4-Tuner premiere (monthly).

I have some Best Buy Reward Zone certificates so would like to get it there if possible. I know TiVo is starting to hand out $99 lifetime offers for premieres? Would they possibly do this as well for a 4-tuner premiere if I upgrade to the Roamio (but get it from Best Buy)? Or is this $99 lifetime offer for Series 4s pretty much if you get a Roamio directly from them?

Your best bet here might be to tell TiVo that since you're planning on getting a 4 tuner Roamio (you can start out a little vague on exactly from where you'll be getting it), you want to quit making the monthly payments on the 4 tuner Premiere, or if you've got a better than average monthly rate on the 4 tuner Premiere, you'd like to transfer that rate to the Roamio you're going to be getting. Then you can mention something about retiring the 4 tuner Premiere and sticking it in the closet to gather dust, and if they don't offer the $99 lifetime deal at that point you can add "unless you guys want to sell me lifetime for it at a really good price".

The idea is to exploit the leverage of you're about to buy another TiVo and they don't want you to get mad and change your mind about that, and the leverage of $99 more is $99 more than $0 more, and it avoids reducing their reported subscriber numbers by 1. (in fact, with the retention of the Premiere and the addition of the Roamio, they'll be breaking even on that number plus adding 1).

Remember, you want to negotiate all of this before any money changes hands or any subscriptions are cancelled, while you still have the leverage.

And you may have to play CSR roulette, calling back several times until you get a CSR that'll go along with the deal you have in mind, so don't actually discontinue that monthly, just talk about doing it, until you get everything nailed down.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Your best to buy a Roamio instead of Premiere. I just bought a used basic Roamio off eBay for $99 which included shipping.

The $99 lifetime offers are for Premieres that have been subscribed for at least 3 years and have been out of service less than 90 days. I bought a used Premiere and while it met the long service enrollment them, it hadn't had service for several months. At least 2 years service for Premieres will get lifetime for $199, so to get life time cheaper you have to find a used Premiere that meets the service enrollment time and not been out of service too long. When it comes down to it, even if you pay the full lifetime cost, a Roamio is a better deal for a much better TiVo.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote