TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
das335

Roamio MoCA connection advice

I am trying to help a relative get their TiVo Roamio Pro and Mini working with MoCA networking. I have been using MoCA networking with my FIOS service for years but I have run into problems with their Brighthouse cable wiring. I am working with two (2) separate cable feeds in their attic but I know there are more, which means more splitters. I will try and see if I can trace them on my next visit. I also plan to install a POE filter as soon as I get one.

I had some success in that I got the Mini working with a MoCA network connection and they can now watch live or recorded shows in HD. To get this far I added an Actiontec MoCA adapter and switched the feed for the Mini to the 2-way splitter (in the attic) that also feeds the MoCA adapter and cable modem (see Office Area on left of attached diagram).

I did a lot of reading on the TiVo Community site and it seems that the consensus is to keep the cable modem on a separate feed that is NOT downstream from an amplifier.
Also, if you use an amp, you can use diplexers to route the MoCA signal around the amp. I attempted to show my plan for getting their Roamio Pro connected via MoCA on the right-side of my diagram.

I originally tried to use a 3-way splitter (on a feed in the attic) that would have:

1) Cable Modem
2) Mini
3) Roamio Pro

but the signal to the cable modem was too weak and it would not connect.

Ok, here are my questions:

1) Does my diagram make any sense ?
2) Is there any way to safely feed the cable modem from a line from the 8 way splitter that is AFTER the amp ?

Currently, the Roamio Pro is connected via WiFi which seems to get about 18-20 mbps when I test with my PC. The MoCA connection to the Mini seems to get a good PHY rate (230-250) and it replaced a SlingLink power connection.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MoCA_with_Amplifier_6.jpg (40.3 KB, 24 views)
das335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
tarheelblue32

I assume you were probably using a balanced 3-way splitter. If the signal was too weak for the modem with a balanced 3-way splitter, then you could try an unbalanced 3-way splitter and have the modem running off the stronger output.

Looking at your diagram, if you are having weak signal problems already for the cable modem, then you should remove the 2-way splitter before the MoCA adapter and the cable modem. There really isn't a need for it. Just use the RF output on the Actiontech adapter to pass-through the coax to the cable modem. This is actually the setup that the TiVo website shows and is how I have my network setup, and it works just fine for me. As BigJimOutlaw points out below, you can install a POE filter between the adapter and the modem if the MoCA signals happen to cause any problems with the modem.

Also, your diagram with the diplexers may be more complicated than it really needs to be. I have read other people on here say that having MoCA going through a powered amp can cause problems, but I have mine going through one and have never had any problems with it. I'm sure it probably depends on a number of factors such as the specific amp you are using, but I'd try sending the MoCA signals through the amp before resorting to a more complicated solution that might not even be needed.

How many other TVs are in this house besides the one hooked up to the Roamio and the Mini? Is connecting the Roamio to the one Mini the only thing that the MoCA network will be used for? Are the other TVs using digital cable boxes or analog cable without a box?

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-30-2014 at 01:49 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:08 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Moca isn't intended to work across two separate cable feeds without a physical connection between them. The only reason moca might work at all is if the signal travels out to the pole and back into the house (as well as leak into a neighbor's house). A POE filter would be impossible.

As the previous poster said, you might try an unbalanced 3-way splitter to get the modem, Roamio and Mini on the same pipe. But first remove the split in the office... The RF-out on the moca adapter should go to the modem.

If that interferes with the modem, you might need a POE filter installed between the adapter and modem.

If the amp is rated for 1000 MHz the diplexing may not be necessary. But if you can get the Roamio and Mini on the same service feed, that whole side wouldn't need to be bothered with.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-30-2014 at 02:15 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Pennsylvan6500

I can't tell how it is used but you have one line listed as SAT. If that is direct TV standard MOCA will not work since DTV used the same frequencies. DTV has a version of MOCA ( can't recall the name) that will work.
Pennsylvan6500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
das335

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the replies and all the info. I will have more info later this week but I will answer what I can now.

I tried two (2) different 3-way splitter, one was balanced (Monoprice) and the other was an unbalanced one I found on-site.
I might try using a second 2-way splitter on the side that currently feeds the TiVo Mini and see how that works.

There are currently 6 TV's that I know of and I think 2 of these are just getting an analog (no cable box) signal.

I am only interested in getting the Roamio Pro and Mini using MoCA at this time, but they do have another TiVo Premiere (non-MoCA version) that I could use an adapter with at some time, depending how things go.

The splitter in the office was there when I got there. I am using it because I installed an Actiontec ECB2200 adapter and it does not have a pass-thru connection. I also wanted to keep things simple in case of any signal problems that might cause TV or Ethernet problems. Currently, the Actiontec adapter can simply be unplugged quickly if problems occur to put things back. I do not have a strong tech person on-site.

The amp is rated for 1000 MHz but I did not write down the make and model. I initially tried getting MoCA working with their original setup and I could not receive MoCA signals between the 2 different feeds. I still need to trace the 2 cable feeds I found back towards the Brighthouse entry point and see if I can find any more splitters.

I will do some more detective work and update this topic with new info or results.

Thanks again for the help.
das335 is offline   Reply With Quote