TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
yawitz

BUG: Changing Season Pass settings for a show modifies channel assignment

I just found an odd bug when modifying the season pass settings for a show.

Normally I setup a pass to include shows from a single channel (e.g. the HD version of a given network). That channel shows up in the title of the season pass. I had been able to change the setting for that Season Pass (e.g. change the "save until" setting) with no other issues.

Since the most recent update, if I change any setting in a Season Pass, the selected channel no longer appears in the title, and the pass starts including shows from all channels (HD and SD) on which it appears.

Note that I'm still using the SD menus, if that's an issue. I wonder if this is related to the feature in the latest update that changes how future shows in a given season pass are handled.
yawitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I assume you have the last update, 20.4.4, the all channels has been added for season passes in that update.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
foamy909

This happened to me as well, and I lost a recording because of it.

I previously had The Amazing Race with an hour & one half pad for when it was on after football. With the change to Friday night I removed that padding. The next episode did not record because the season pass tried to use the first CBS on the list, which was a low power station from a rarely used antenna.

I did not initially see any way to edit the existing season pass to only use a specific channel, so I deleted it and reentered it.

I also am using the SD menus.
foamy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Consider a wishlist for the amazing race- helps avoid the need for a new season pass for each season...
Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Consider a wishlist for the amazing race- helps avoid the need for a new season pass for each season...
Huh? That's not what these members are reporting. I have a SP for Amazing Race, and it doesn't need changed between seasons, at least not for the last 5 seasons.

There appears to be a bug on Premiere's using SD menus where whenever you modify anything in a SP, the software also automatically sets the channel for the SP to "All Channels". This can lead to unfortunate results with the scheduling software such that it might pick the SD channel when the user wants HD, or picking the wrong channel if a user is OTA and between markets where they may get two broadcasts of the same network and the broadcast from one market might be less reliable than the other market.

It's clearly a bug resulting from unexpected behavior of the new "All Channels" option added in 20.4.4 when using SD menus. The impacts are limited to fringe cases, and will likely not make a difference for most users. I'd encourage the OP and others to contact Tivo support directly to inform them of this bug.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
yawitz

Yes, tatergator1, that's exactly what appears to be happening. Though I may differ with you about it being a fringe case. I'll contact TiVo support to report it...
Old 10-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
sharkster

I apologize if this is stating the obvious, but one thing I would do to narrow down that list of channels is to go into settings/channels/channel list and uncheck all the SD channels for which you have an HD counterpart that you use. At least that way the Tivo won't record from those SD channels, when it should be recording from an HD channel.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
sharkster

Yesterday I went to start a SP for a new show - by actually finding the upcoming airing on the Tivo Guide - and when I went through to make an SP, it only gave the choice of 'all channels'.

What the heck? It didn't come up with the channel that I clicked on at all. *sigh* Why not just make it where you can punch in the channel, or it gives you a list of channels the show is available on, or something like that?
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:48 AM   #9
yawitz

I suppose I can find workarounds for the issue (and for now, recreating the SP is my preferred one), but I'm inclined to wait and see how TiVo responds to my report (submitted to their support site).
Old 11-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
yawitz

Just to close the loop on this, I contacted TiVo support (via support.tivo.com) and they basically acknowledged the problem, with the following workaround:

Quote:
If at all possible, definitely alternate to the high definition menus to remedy this issue, once corrected you can remain in the HD menus if you would prefer, or revert to the Standard definition menus for notification purposes.
So that's where things stand, until the issue gets resolved in an update.