TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
timstack8969

Arrow Premiere Rebooting

Been having a Reboot once a week so far ever since Summer update. Anyone else having this happen?
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i've had the hdui reset three times, but not a full re-boot, sorry you're having issues.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstack8969 View Post
Been having a Reboot once a week so far ever since Summer update. Anyone else having this happen?
Yes, I believe I've seen two so far; each time it affected both my basic Premiere and Premiere Elite in roughly the same time frame. IDK whether the cause is related to your reboots, but all my electronics are on UPS battery backup, so it was not a power issue.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Fielding

It's always been a dying hard drive for me when I've had those issues..
Fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
Fielding

that represents three occurrences on different machines by the way..
Fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
sehale

Mine rebooted in the middle of a recorded show last night. Can't remember a time that ever happened. Premiere XL. No remote function involved - just watched a recorded show and it rebooted.
sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Mine reboots spontaneously during MLB.TV or YouTube apps. I think the reboots have to do with the Flash engine.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
timstack8969

Just happened again. Seems to happen when I try to change channels it won't change then light go from Green to Amber and then Total Restart
Old 07-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
paully65

Reboots

My XL4 would do this more often than not. I called Comcast and made sure my cable card was paired correctly and it was NOT!! After taking down all the correct info, it has not rebooted since and that was two weeks ago. Just something to check.
paully65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
timstack8969

Yes, I was thinking also it was the Comcast Cable Card (SA/Cisco) that I've had since 2010. I believe it is a "800 Series" card. Is this an older model card? and if so what is the latest series to ask for?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
paully65

Premiere Rebooting

That could be it. Although I have had my cable card since 2007 and am still using it in my current box with no problems. Maybe yours is going bad? I usually don't hear of them going bad so not sure that is it.
paully65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehale View Post
Mine rebooted in the middle of a recorded show last night. Can't remember a time that ever happened. Premiere XL. No remote function involved - just watched a recorded show and it rebooted.
i experienced a spontaneous reboot with my pxl today while watching a recording in the video window and surfing my to do list.

yesterday i pressed zoom to exit from tivo central to live tv and went to a black screen (the remote indicator was responding to key presses). it took pulling the plug to restore.

before the update i would go weeks between reboots, now i've had 5 black screens and 3 hard reboots in 2 weeks.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 07-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #13
Mikeyis4dcats

I've had 2 random reboots in the last couple of weeks. Never a problem before.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

No intent of a threadjack, but my Roamios are rebooting the HDUI a lot, and doing full reboots nearly every day, or every other day (the two I have operational, with the update)...

Since both share the same software, and the timings and descriptions seem to match, there might be something wrong with the data from the service connections, again...

Please post here if your Premiere is acting up in this way... Maybe I'll start a Roamio thread and see if it grows...
Old 07-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #15
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I am seeing the HDUI reboot everyday at least once, per day, noticeable by the SD Aspect Ratio change to FULL each day.

But I have not seen a full reboot since getting 20.4.2 on any of my units.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 AM   #16
telemark

UI Restarts and box Reboots should leave messages in the logs. It's the typical intentional response to unexpected conditions, to avoid a hang instead. If someone wants to track this down, the logs should be checked right after it happens again.

I'm going to guess it's a software bug(s), since there was a major UI rewrite, and the UI is crashing.

PS. I'm on 20.4.1 is why I'm not offering.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
pig_man

I'm also getting reboots with my Premiere XL with the 20.4.2 software.

Last night I was watching baseball and the TiVo suddenly refused to accept commands from the remote, then the picture froze, then after 10-20 seconds it rebooted.

Other reboots happened while just navigating the User Interface.

Before 20.4.2 my Premiere XL was stable.
pig_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #18
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig_man View Post
I'm also getting reboots with my Premiere XL with the 20.4.2 software...Before 20.4.2 my Premiere XL was stable.
sorry you're having troubles, too, but glad it's not only my pxl. my hdui just spontaneously reset itself (again) while i was exiting my to do list a few minutes ago...i guess i'm lucky it didn't reboot (again)...

Old 08-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
sehale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig_man View Post
I'm also getting reboots with my Premiere XL with the 20.4.2 software.

Last night I was watching baseball and the TiVo suddenly refused to accept commands from the remote, then the picture froze, then after 10-20 seconds it rebooted.

Other reboots happened while just navigating the User Interface.

Before 20.4.2 my Premiere XL was stable.
Same with me except I was watching a recorded show. After the reboot, I went back to the show and it resumed back to about 10 seconds before the scene where it rebooted. Played right through it with no problems.

This is the second time since 20.4.2. No problems with my XL before either.
sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #20
timstack8969

Last night it happened again. This time TIVO Rebooted while watching a Recording. Is this a software issue???
Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #21
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstack8969 View Post
Last night it happened again. This time TIVO Rebooted while watching a Recording. Is this a software issue???
i hope so. if not, how could so many premiere and roamio customers be experiencing reboots where few existed before the update?

to top it all off, i have noticed occasional pixelization since the update, but think i've traced it to intermittent signal drops from comcast. i was almost ready to pull the trigger, run kickstart, and purchase a new hard disk (until i found the signal issue).

Old 08-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
weaver

My Premiere XL4 rebooted yesterday after a couple of channel losses/recoveries. It's the first I've seen since the update, but it could be happening when I'm not watching.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #23
katism18

I created this account just to comment. I've had my Premiere for only a year and I am stuck on the start up boot screen. I tried everything suggested to me and TiVo is trying to tell my hard drive fried. Is that possible after only a year?
katism18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #24
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by katism18 View Post
...I've had my Premiere for only a year and I am stuck on the start up boot screen. I tried everything suggested to me and TiVo is trying to tell my hard drive fried. Is that possible after only a year?
sorry you're having troubles. yes, it's possible for a hard drive to fail within a year - it can fail at any time, but it's less likely the newer the drive.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #25
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
sorry you're having troubles. yes, it's possible for a hard drive to fail within a year - it can fail at any time, but it's less likely the newer the drive.
Actually, if it's a brand-new drive, the chances of being DOA or suffering "infant mortality" are pretty extreme these days...

Once drives have been in operation, past a point (which is fluid), the chances of it living a normal, or longer, life are improved.

At least before the Roamio, TiVo had to write an image to the drives. Now, they just chuck them in, and the TiVo buyer is the first to run the drive, after any testing the drive manufacturer does...

As that GRC guy said "modern drives are always operating at the edge of failure" (paraphrasing). He said that quite a while back. He created Spinrite due to the way drive makers were selling drives with factory defects and constantly occurring errors, but hiding these facts away from the customers...
Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #26
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Now, they just chuck them in, and the TiVo buyer is the first to run the drive, after any testing the drive manufacturer does...
I scanned a drive from a factory fresh Roamio once and it had a section of write tests on it, probably from a factory burn in. I assumed that would be the Tivo factory. Hardly a proper burn in, but thought it might make you feel a little better.

katism18:
It's hypothetically possible to have an Ok drive with bad software on it. Do you have access to a PC?

Last edited by telemark : 08-07-2014 at 01:01 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #27
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I scanned a drive from a factory fresh Roamio once and it had a section of write tests on it, probably from a factory burn in. I assumed that would be the Tivo factory. Hardly a proper burn in, but thought it might make you feel a little better.
Yeah. I remembered (after posting) that ggieseke said it appeared a never (out of box) booted TiVo Roamio drive had some sort of data in the raw format that indicated a possible rudimentary verification that the drive could be communicated with. IIRC, it was a simple ACK type of data, in two places in the lower LBA range. That's all I know on that.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #28
katism18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
yeah. that is what I'm afraid of. I can't even do the kickstart. It stays on the power up screen and the light stays green. I think I bought a refurb. What bothers me is I call the 800 number and they tell me "you need to buy a new TiVo" without even telling me about the kickstarts. Thank god for this community.
katism18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #29
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
yeah. that is what I'm afraid of. I can't even do the kickstart. It stays on the power up screen and the light stays green. I think I bought a refurb. What bothers me is I call the 800 number and they tell me "you need to buy a new TiVo" without even telling me about the kickstarts. Thank god for this community.
If you can't even do the kickstarts, check the drive connection, by unplugging, then reseating the connection.

It is still possible that a drive is still good, but the data on it that needs to be read by the TiVo, before a KS can be initiated, has been corrupted.

If you can at least tell if the drive is even spinning, that's a starting point.

But, this sort of thing has it's own threads. So, I suggest finding one that has at least something to do with hard drives, to continue on in, should you desire to troubleshoot, and/or replace the drive, which requires putting an image on it first. This forum can provide all the help and resources you need, which you will never get from TiVo.

If the unit isn't a lifetime sub, call and ask to cancel service on it. That will get you transferred to the retention dept, where they tend to offer some great deals, in order to not lose a sub. I'm not advising to actually cancel, but to give TiVo the impression you want to, and see if it changes their tune.

If it's a lifetime sub already, or they offer to give you LT for $99, it creates a new decision for you to make. They might offer a deal on a new Roamio, which sometimes is the best deal, and sometimes nothing special and best to pass on.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #30
unitron

Quote:
You *think* you bought a refurb?

From where and whom did you buy it?

Did it already have service?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote