TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
NJJ

Roamio / DirecTV any possible workaround?

Hi,

New here. If this should be posted some other place, I apologize. Feel free to let me know. I have received a TiVo Roamio Plus with a lifetime subscription so I am trying to find a way to make it work with my current DirecTV service if it is at all possible. I've been with DirecTV forever and I don't want to change but I would like to take advantage of the TiVo service so that my family member overseas can watch things from back home.

I have 4 DirecTv boxes active. One is a slightly older HD DVR receiver. One is the newer slimline HD DVR and I have two genies. I think I might have an old school basic receiver somewhere in my garage. One of the TVs that has a genie I could potentially be willing to not use anymore if I could free it up for a workaround to make this TiVo work.

I appreciate any insight here (I'm not up on a lot of tech lingo so please keep that in mind, lol). If there's any other specs needed to fill in the blanks I'm happy to answer. Thanks so much!
NJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

The Roamio is not compatible with ANY DirecTV hardware or service. The Roamio is designed to work with a cable company supplied Cable Card. So if you want to use the Roamio you will need to ditch DirecTV or add cable on top of DirecTV. If you don't want to add cable service, then you may as well sell the Roamio.

If your goal is to get TV overseas, you could get a Slingbox or a DirecTV GenieGo and use one or the other of those.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
NJJ

Easy enough! Thanks for the information.
NJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
HarperVision

If you already have internet service through your local cable provider, you may already have some basic cable channels active. Try hooking a cable to a nearby tv from the wall and do a channel scan and see what you get. Sometimes having limited and/or basic cable along with your internet service costs about as much as internet alone, then you can rent a cablecard ($0 to maybe $10/month depending on provider) for your Roamio.

Like they said, the only way it's going to work is with cable, not DirectTV.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote