TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
andriusb

Tivo Series 3 HD skipping like a record - audio/video not synced and lagging

Greetings all,

I've been a long time Tivo user, but I'm suddenly experiencing a strange problem on playback - either during live record or planned record.

The problem I'm seeing is that if I touch the quick-back button, the video backs up, but the audio doesn't, and starts to repeat the section over and over like a broken record. When it stops that, the audio and video are no longer in sync. I can hit the pause button, the video will pause but the audio will continue until it "catches up."

Here is a youtube video of what I'm seeing:

http://youtu.be/WP_D2CHtyd8

What I've tried:
  • imaging the current hard drive to a new hard drive, thinking it was a bad hard drive
  • moved HDMI ports
  • reset the TV to factory defaults (it's a Vizio)
  • reset the Tivo with the new hard drive to defaults (erase everything)
  • different Tivo remote that is known to work

What I will try but haven't:
  • different HDMI port
  • try composite cable
  • try component cable

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks so much all!!
andriusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
squint

It could be an ailing power supply which is inevitable with series 3 Tivos due to the use of low quality capacitors. The only reliable solution is to replace the capacitors. Replacing the power supply just buys you a little more time (or less, in some cases).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
andriusb

Thanks very much squint!

I guess I'm not an electrical engineer - so I find it strange that a couple specific operations are due to a few bad capacitors - but again, I'm no expert at all. Given that the motherboards are pretty rock solid, I guess I'm out of options.

I don't see any bulging of any caps - maybe that's all internal and it's soon to happen. I've already upgraded to a 1TB HDD to rule out the original hard drive, so I'm pretty much invested already. ;-)

Thanks so much!!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
unitron

The problem is "on the motherboard" in that it isn't in the TV or the cables between the TiVo and the TV, and it's very unlikely to be a hard drive problem because the hard drive doesn't know which ones and zeros represent the video and which represent the audio.

The motherboard is where audio and video are sorted out and where stuff is put into memory (RAM) and where the commands to copy stuff from memory to drive and from drive to memory originate.

That said, if some particular component on the motherboard can't get quite enough current to do its job properly it could be the problem without having a problem. (in other words, there's nothing actually wrong with it)

So you need to check the DC output voltages of the power supply to see if they're what they should be or not, and then move on from there in your troubleshooting.

Got a voltmeter? Know anyone you can borrow one from?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
andriusb

Thanks very much! I'll continue to troubleshoot, and report back if/when I get some answers. Thanks again!!!