TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
MPSAN

Can we have shows grouped by different "users"?

I do not see this but wonder if there is any way to do what we want. My wife has a few series (one pass) recordings that are on our now playing list. They are usually at the top but not always. Is there any way to have a "folder" perhaps with her name that ONLY has her shows so that when we look at Now Playing we do not see her shows? I believe that our old ReplayTV's had this.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I do not see this but wonder if there is any way to do what we want. My wife has a few series (one pass) recordings that are on our now playing list. They are usually at the top but not always. Is there any way to have a "folder" perhaps with her name that ONLY has her shows so that when we look at Now Playing we do not see her shows? I believe that our old ReplayTV's had this.
No, not currently.

I hope tivo will allow user profiles sometime in the future - possibly using the left menu filter.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
No, not currently.

I hope tivo will allow user profiles sometime in the future - possibly using the left menu filter.
That would be great!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509509

MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
Yes, I do not see it being done but I sure would like it!

Old 03-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #6
Series3Sub

And this is a feature TiVo should have brought to us by now. It is the only one "major" gripe I have about TiVo. I know that on Dish ViP and Hopper boxes, one can create Custom Folders (using names of family members as one example) and set recordings to go into those folders automatically. TiVo can certainly come with its own version.

The one thing that I really liked about the now dead SezMi DVR was that it was designed for multiple house member use from step 1. That was BRILLIANT and compelling. One would think that all the whole home DVR's available today would have robust multi house hold members built right in, but to my knowledge none do today. That would be a fantastic TiVo option.

Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

But, do people actually use those features? This always sounds compelling, but my guess is that the reality is I (or even most) would never end up using it as it must take more UI interaction to bucket each and every little thing recorded.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
jtdon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
But, do people actually use those features? This always sounds compelling, but my guess is that the reality is I (or even most) would never end up using it as it must take more UI interaction to bucket each and every little thing recorded.

On the Dish Hopper once a named folder is created it is very easy to save to that folder or to move existing items to it. When I had dish we used it all the time. Much cleaner look and much faster way to find your shows or a type of show. One of my few gripes with Tivo is the clutter in my shows.

jtdon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Manual folders are never going to happen. User profiles, maybe. The system doesn't even need to be complex. They just need a way to setup users and then a way to select which users want a specific recording or 1P, with the default being All just like now. Then all they need is a way to filter My Shows by user so they only see shows that are listed for them or marked All. One thing that would make it even better would be have a reference system for deleting a show so one user could "delete" it from their list but it wouldn't physically be deleted until all users deleted it. (or it was deleted from the All folder) Bonus points if they saved separate remembered pause points for each user.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Manual folders are never going to happen. User profiles, maybe. The system doesn't even need to be complex. They just need a way to setup users and then a way to select which users want a specific recording or 1P, with the default being All just like now. Then all they need is a way to filter My Shows by user so they only see shows that are listed for them or marked All. One thing that would make it even better would be have a reference system for deleting a show so one user could "delete" it from their list but it wouldn't physically be deleted until all users deleted it. (or it was deleted from the All folder) Bonus points if they saved separate remembered pause points for each user.
I agree, it wouldn't be that hard and the mechanism is in place using the existing left menu.

1) Add the functionality to create a custom Filter (user or whatever)
2) Add an option in setup of a 1P or Individual recording the ability to set a tag using one of these custom filters.

The downside to this is I see potential for a slippery slope. Would this be enough or would users clamor for multi-select (I want it filtered under two different users)? I am sure this community to design these options into dust...

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys; 03-26-2015 at 10:56 AM..
Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #11
jrtroo
User

Quote:
I agree, it wouldn't be that hard and the mechanism is in place using the existing left menu.
Famous words on this site! Nothing should be hard from the user perspective, but clearly some things are from Tivo's.

I would say this- if any request was easy to implement, was seen as beneficial to sales/retention, and easy to explain, they would all have been done already!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
bobfrank

There was a Tivo screen shot showing profiles some time ago. Many of us have had our hopes up ever since.

bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Famous words on this site! Nothing should be hard from the user perspective, but clearly some things are from Tivo's.

I would say this- if any request was easy to implement, was seen as beneficial to sales/retention, and easy to explain, they would all have been done already!
I wouldn't bet on that. It took them a decade to add a free space indicator to the UI.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #14
tomhorsley

I suspect the hard part of user profiles would be the tendency for the current user to not bother to "login" as a different user. Of course if everyone had their own remote that included a user ID along with all the commands, that could make it completely transparent.

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #15
WO312

I think logging in would bother a lot of people. They could make it real simple. In Settings, allow you to create different users. Then when you create a One Pass, give you the option of saving it to a user. Then it could go in a folder with the user name. Similar to what bradleys said but I think easier than using filters.

WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #16
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I suspect the hard part of user profiles would be the tendency for the current user to not bother to "login" as a different user. Of course if everyone had their own remote that included a user ID along with all the commands, that could make it completely transparent.
That is why I wouldn't see login as part of the process. I can't see TiVo implementing profiles the same way Netflix does - where you select a user and all content is based on that user. I just don't see how that would improve the user experience. Get a second TiVo if that is what you want.

Just a simple metadata filter - You set the metadata value when you create the recording (OnePass, Individual, Wishlist)... So, i can choose to add 10 minutes to the end of the recording and filter as "DAD"

Dad, Mom, Kid, or any other arbitrary value would be created in some manual utility.

Easy has never been the top consideration for TiVo. Does it fit within their design strategy and meet their expectations of an enhancement that brings end user value.

What I think makes sense and what you think makes sense isn't part of that equation.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tivo-roamio-interface.jpg (37.9 KB, 30 views)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Thanks For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM   #17
bobfrank

Quote:
That is why I wouldn't see login as part of the process. I can't see TiVo implementing profiles the same way Netflix does - where you select a user and all content is based on that user. I just don't see how that would improve the user experience. Get a second TiVo if that is what you want.

Just a simple metadata filter - You set the metadata value when you create the recording (OnePass, Individual, Wishlist)... So, i can choose to add 10 minutes to the end of the recording and filter as "DAD"

Dad, Mom, Kid, or any other arbitrary value would be created in some manual utility.

Easy has never been the top consideration for TiVo. Does it fit within their design strategy and meet their expectations of an enhancement that brings end user value.

What I think makes sense and what you think makes sense isn't part of that equation.
This was the graphic, or at least similar to the graphic, I was referring to.

If only we could have something like this ... sigh.

bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote