TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
MPSAN

XL4 all 4 tuners BLACK!

Never had this happen before. I turned on the TV and the screen was Black with no audio! Cable was OK as I checked a Tivo in another room.

Looked at all 4 tuners and still same thing no matter what station. HD Menus are all OK. Looked at sig level and Tivo said they were OK as well. I did a soft reboot and all is OK. I am connected via HDMI, but the menu showed, so cable was not the issue.

Any idea what could be wrong or is this just a fluke? Still looking good today.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

This happens occasionally, to some more than others, SW Version 20.3.x should have fixed this for many.

I am just in the habit now of rebooting the TiVo and the Tuning Adapter every 2-3 weeks, religiously, and I don't really see this anymore, but it could happen randomly at any time I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
This happens occasionally, to some more than others, SW Version 20.3.x should have fixed this for many.

I am just in the habit now of rebooting the TiVo and the Tuning Adapter every 2-3 weeks, religiously, and I don't really see this anymore, but it could happen randomly at any time I guess.
Well, this is the first time this has happened to us. Is it just the output? I mean, if I had not noticed, would my shows have recorded OK?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Well, this is the first time this has happened to us. Is it just the output? I mean, if I had not noticed, would my shows have recorded OK?
In my experience nothing would have recorded until everything was rebooted.

There are many threads regarding the black screen all tuner failures on both Premieres and Elite/XL4, although I have not seen any postings recently, so I assume the issue has mostly been resolved.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 AM   #5
shamilian

There is also an old playback bug. ( happens once every few months )

You can tell it is this bug because you will not be able to play previous recordings. This means that your tuners are working but you can not see the output from the live buffer, or previous recordings.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
There is also an old playback bug. ( happens once every few months )

You can tell it is this bug because you will not be able to play previous recordings. This means that your tuners are working but you can not see the output from the live buffer, or previous recordings.
Well, if it happens again, I can see if I can play a recording. I hate to reboot as it kills my SPS88S feature!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
MPSAN

Quote:
Well, if it happens again, I can see if I can play a recording. I hate to reboot as it kills my SPS88S feature!
Well, it just happened again. Yes, I CAN play a recording. A reboot fixed it, but is there a fix? I have the summer update, too.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
MPSAN

OK, it happened again. Tuners BLACK, but everything else works!
Time to call TIVO.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 AM   #9
Emacee

I am having a similar problem on my Premiere but in my case only one tuner goes out. I was thinking maybe the problem is my cable card but I'm not sure.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=520093

Tivo support is supposed to monitor these forums but no word from them and this thread has been up a long time.
Plus a Roku2 for Netflix, Amazon Prime
Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emacee View Post
I am having a similar problem on my Premiere but in my case only one tuner goes out. I was thinking maybe the problem is my cable card but I'm not sure.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=520093

Tivo support is supposed to monitor these forums but no word from them and this thread has been up a long time.
Yes, I called them and they suggested I move the TiVo into my other room and swap with my other TiVo. Then I could see if my tuners work again. I said of course that would make it work as it would do a reboot! I am going to do that but ONLY after I can establish a pattern. I have gone 7 months...but now it has done it after 7 days. I will see what happens next week. Some have said that CHAT support online is far better than calling on the phone! I have been doing a restart, but may power it down and re-seat the Cable card at that time.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Jed1

Quote:
Yes, I called them and they suggested I move the TiVo into my other room and swap with my other TiVo. Then I could see if my tuners work again. I said of course that would make it work as it would do a reboot! I am going to do that but ONLY after I can establish a pattern. I have gone 7 months...but now it has done it after 7 days. I will see what happens next week. Some have said that CHAT support online is far better than calling on the phone! I have been doing a restart, but may power it down and re-seat the Cable card at that time.
If you have the summer update then post your problem here as I just had all four of my tuners on my Premiere 4 go out on Thursday. I had to reboot to get them back. Its not a CableCard issue.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=519118
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
If you have the summer update then post your problem here as I just had all four of my tuners on my Premiere 4 go out on Thursday. I had to reboot to get them back. Its not a CableCard issue.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=519118
I WILL do that as I DO have the summer update. Also, mine went out Wednesday at about 7PM.

Last edited by MPSAN : 08-23-2014 at 04:51 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
MPSAN

Well, it happened again! However this time it also said there may be a cablecard issue and some channels may not be available. Please contact the cable company. So, what I did was power down instead of a soft reboot. I then reseated the cablecard, and I added a splitter to reduce the signal. Not sure just what the SNR should be, but mine were at about 37db.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 AM   #14
Emacee

Just tried doing a cold boot and re-seating the cable card while the box is unplugged. When the box came on, one tuner displayed normally. When I switched to display the other tuner, I had the display problem mentioned in other threads (an SD channel displayed as though Tivo is set for Zoom when it is actually set for Panel). Could these two issues be related?
Plus a Roku2 for Netflix, Amazon Prime
Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline   Reply With Quote