Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #31
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmegs View Post
I just noticed my Charter CC on my Roamio was upgraded also. I've also noticed that my Roamio has crashed and rebooted 3 times in the last 2 days... Might be unrelated, but has anyone else noticed any problems?
If you received the TiVo "Spring Update" software, I'd consider that to be a more likely culprit. Even more so, if you were updated, then reverted, which never should have happened.

I also really hate it when a cableco-related update happens at the same time TiVo changes things... Seems to happen more, and more, these days, for me...

As if the finger-pointing wasn't always bad enough, now it (almost) seems like the MSOs are timing their changes to coincide with TiVo software releases. It wouldn't be a hard play to make, since it's no secret when TiVo has an update about to roll-out...
Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #32
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmegs View Post
I just noticed my Charter CC on my Roamio was upgraded also. I've also noticed that my Roamio has crashed and rebooted 3 times in the last 2 days... Might be unrelated, but has anyone else noticed any problems?
See my updated post above...

I'm bored now, everything is working as it should with my Tivo System! So I signed up for the BETA program! Yes I know, I'm a Gluten for punishment! -lol-
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #33
JosephB

That's weird, I am on Charter and never had problems with 6-tuners. A week or two ago (the same weekend the latest Roamio update was going out) my two Tuning Adapters rebooted and required a re-hit from Charter to start working again. I wonder if they were updating the cards and TAs at the same time?

I'm on a SA/Cisco system, 803 card, with PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401 firmware on the card and STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501 on the Tuning Adapter. Never thought to check the firmware versions previously so I don't know if that's new or not.

I've had the Roamio since January and all 6 tuners have been working and no problems except for the aforementioned rehit required last week on the TAs.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #34
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
That's weird, I am on Charter and never had problems with 6-tuners. A week or two ago (the same weekend the latest Roamio update was going out) my two Tuning Adapters rebooted and required a re-hit from Charter to start working again. I wonder if they were updating the cards and TAs at the same time?

I'm on a SA/Cisco system, 803 card, with PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401 firmware on the card and STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501 on the Tuning Adapter. Never thought to check the firmware versions previously so I don't know if that's new or not.

I've had the Roamio since January and all 6 tuners have been working and no problems except for the aforementioned rehit required last week on the TAs.
1.5.2_F.p.1401 is OLD. (2009ish, I think.) It's what was on my PK800 until a few weeks ago (I now have 1.5.3_F.p.1101) and you're very lucky not to have had tuning failures with all six tuners active. Most people with 1.5.2.1401 on Charter have to drop down to five tuners otherwise one of the tuners will randomly stop working.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #35
gmacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacted View Post
I called Charter last week and got the e-mail address of a local Charter representative. I requested that they push the latest firmware to my CableCard, but said they needed the approval from the corporate office. They told me that they were denied the request, but said they were able to get me a "test card" with the updated firmware. I should know on Monday what day they are going to come out and install the card in my Tivo.
Just an update.

A Charter technician came to my house yesterday afternoon with three new Cisco CableCards that supposedly had the new firmware installed on them. They installed and re-paired the first one, but found it still had the old firmware on it. They installed and re-paired the second one, but found it still had the old firmware on it. At that point, the technician called the headend office who proceeded to push a firmware update to the second CableCard. After the firmware push, we verified it had the new firmware in it. Bottom line, my TiVo Roamio Pro now has a CableCard with the new firmware on it. So far I haven't had any issues with it, but I will continue to monitor it over the next few days/weeks.

For reference:

Cisco Cable Card HW: 0803 Ver. 0010

Old Firmware: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2401 Jun 25 2010, 11:12:23 (only supports 5 tuners)

New firmware: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101, Jun 6 2013, 16:26:59 (supports 6 tuners)
gmacted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #36
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacted View Post
Just an update.

A Charter technician came to my house yesterday afternoon with three new Cisco CableCards that supposedly had the new firmware installed on them. They installed and re-paired the first one, but found it still had the old firmware on it. They installed and re-paired the second one, but found it still had the old firmware on it. At that point, the technician called the headend office who proceeded to push a firmware update to the second CableCard. After the firmware push, we verified it had the new firmware in it. Bottom line, my TiVo Roamio Pro now has a CableCard with the new firmware on it. So far I haven't had any issues with it, but I will continue to monitor it over the next few days/weeks.

For reference:

Cisco Cable Card HW: 0803 Ver. 0010

Old Firmware: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2401 Jun 25 2010, 11:12:23 (only supports 5 tuners)

New firmware: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101, Jun 6 2013, 16:26:59 (supports 6 tuners)
Good News that you finally got the firmware upgrade! It also seems to be the first confirmed upgrade of a non-800 card (803 in your case) by Charter.

I do wonder why Charter (specifically) and most other Cable Companies are so inconsistent on keeping CableCard firmware up to date and lie about their capability to upgrade them in the field??? They would certainly save themselves a lot of support calls and truck rolls if they didn't issue any CC's until firmware was upgraded to current levels in the office!
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #37
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
1.5.2_F.p.1401 is OLD. (2009ish, I think.) It's what was on my PK800 until a few weeks ago (I now have 1.5.3_F.p.1101) and you're very lucky not to have had tuning failures with all six tuners active. Most people with 1.5.2.1401 on Charter have to drop down to five tuners otherwise one of the tuners will randomly stop working.
Well now you have me thinking....

What are the symptoms of the tuners not working? Is it the TiVo reporting that one tuner isn't authorized, or is it things like tuning failure and whatnot? Last night after re-pairing my card because I had swapped in my Roamio and never re-paired, I noticed a few channels failed to tune. Don't know if it was a TA error or not. Guess I need to do some testing...

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #38
djev

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
I've had zero errors on my Roamio Pro since the updated CableCard with PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 was installed. All Six tuners are working without failure, I consider this problem closed for my own household...

Additional Note:
Tivo's "Spring Update" (20.4.1-USA-6-840) was installed on my Roamio Pro about the same time as the Firmware upgrade occurred by Charter. Other than needing to reboot my Roamio Pro so the Tivo Mini's could see it again, it has caused no problems in my service. My Roamio 4-tuner and all 3 Mini's have not received the Spring update from Tivo...
Same here, the updated firmware solved the problems. I haven't had any problems regarding the new Tivo update on any of my boxes whether they have the new firmware or the old (as the 803 on my Premier series boxes still have not seen an update).

Last edited by djev : 04-16-2014 at 10:10 AM.
djev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #39
djev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
Actually, I've read of instances where owners didn't realize they had dropped to 5 tuners until they went into the history and saw some programs hadn't recorded. With so many tuners operational, if your favorites record you might not realize something else didn't.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #40
djev

Quote:
Well now you have me thinking....

What are the symptoms of the tuners not working? Is it the TiVo reporting that one tuner isn't authorized, or is it things like tuning failure and whatnot? Last night after re-pairing my card because I had swapped in my Roamio and never re-paired, I noticed a few channels failed to tune. Don't know if it was a TA error or not. Guess I need to do some testing...
Go to your recording history and look back to see if some things didn't record, that will tell you if you dropped a tuner. I can't speak to the TA issue since we don't use them here in the DFW area.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #41
JosephB

I don't have any failed recordings aside from a few that didn't record because they were on HBO and the pairing on the cablecard was not setup. I guess I will try loading up 5 tuners with recordings and then try to tune several different live programs and see what happens

Old 04-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #42
tim1724

Quote:
The main symptom is that your Recording History will have entries that say "Program not available" or "Not authorized" or some similar wording. The Cablecard will sometimes tune all six channels correctly, but at random times one of the tuners will fail to be authorized.

In my experience with 1.5.2.F_p.1401 this happened every couple of days if all six tuners were enabled. Configuring the TiVo to use only five tuners stopped the problem from happening. (I now have 1.5.3.F_p.1101 and have told my TiVo to go back to using all six tuners and it works fine.)

The problem was most obvious when I had Suggestions enabled. (As then the TiVo was a lot more likely to be using all six tuners.)
Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #43
JosephB

I never had any missed recordings, but I think I was bitten by the bug. The other day after I got it re-paired and several things were recording while trying to watch live TV I kept getting channel not authorized messages.

If it works fine with 5 tuners, I probably won't push it too hard. The card in my TiVo is an 803 part number, as is the card in my TiVo HD. I have an 800 card that I had planned to use in an hdhomerun, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle to get the cards swapped, re-paired, and then try to get the firmware in the 800 card upgraded (if it needs to be upgraded, dunno what version it's on)

Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #44
djev

Quote:
I never had any missed recordings, but I think I was bitten by the bug. The other day after I got it re-paired and several things were recording while trying to watch live TV I kept getting channel not authorized messages.

If it works fine with 5 tuners, I probably won't push it too hard. The card in my TiVo is an 803 part number, as is the card in my TiVo HD. I have an 800 card that I had planned to use in an hdhomerun, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle to get the cards swapped, re-paired, and then try to get the firmware in the 800 card upgraded (if it needs to be upgraded, dunno what version it's on)
That would be due to said bug...
Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #45
JosephB

I finally dug out my HD Home Run and got my 800 model card installed, and this is the software:

H/W Model: 0800, Ver: 0012
OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001
Build Time: Apr 12 2011, 18:49:42

For those who got Charter to push an update, did you have a specific person or phone number you called? If I decide to try to get my sixth tuner active, I want to ride your coattails and make it as painless as possible

Old 04-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #46
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
I finally dug out my HD Home Run and got my 800 model card installed, and this is the software:

H/W Model: 0800, Ver: 0012
OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001
Build Time: Apr 12 2011, 18:49:42

For those who got Charter to push an update, did you have a specific person or phone number you called? If I decide to try to get my sixth tuner active, I want to ride your coattails and make it as painless as possible
I got the firmware push shortly after filing an FCC complaint against Charter. Still not certain if that was the trigger or if Charter just happen to start pushing the firmware about the same time.

Multiple calls and truck rolls made since October 2013 to Charter always ended with the same reply in regards to CableCard Firmware upgrades, "We don't know how to do that or who to contact to have it done"...
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #47
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
I got the firmware push shortly after filing an FCC complaint against Charter. Still not certain if that was the trigger or if Charter just happen to start pushing the firmware about the same time.

Multiple calls and truck rolls made since October 2013 to Charter always ended with the same reply in regards to CableCard Firmware upgrades, "We don't know how to do that or who to contact to have it done"...
Everything is stable, three tuning adapters in two TiVos and an HDHomeRun, albeit with only 5 tuners in my Roamio, but I don't record that much anyway. I may just let sleeping dogs lie

Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #48
severe

Called Charter yesterday. Explained the issue and requested a firmware update for my CC. The CSR claimed it couldn't be done from where she was. I requested a tech come out with a new card, but gave specific instructions on what was needed (a card with the new firmware) as we know how these things can go.

The tech showed at my door today with a stack of cards and knew nothing of my specific request. I thought, "here we go." He also seemed to know nothing about updating a card's firmware remotely. We thought we'd try what he had in hand. I wasn't feeling optimistic.

Sure enough, the first card had the new firmware already installed. I'm still a little shocked this ended well.

(Spoke a little too soon^) This visit also required me to make another call to Charter, as no channels would pull up as much 15 minutes after the tech had split. A CSR sent a few signals my way and things were soon up and running. Will continue to monitor as well.

BTW, I was thinking I'd have to update my TiVo to allow the use of 6 tuners again, but it seems all 6 are showing in the Info > Down Arrow > Right Arrow page without entering any number sequences.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #49
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
Called Charter yesterday. Explained the issue and requested a firmware update for my CC. The CSR claimed it couldn't be done from where she was. I requested a tech come out with a new card, but gave specific instructions on what was needed (a card with the new firmware) as we know how these things can go.

The tech showed at my door today with a stack of cards and knew nothing of my specific request. I thought, "here we go." He also seemed to know nothing about updating a card's firmware remotely. We thought we'd try what he had in hand. I wasn't feeling optimistic.

Sure enough, the first card had the new firmware already installed. I'm still a little shocked this ended well.

(Spoke a little too soon^) This visit also required me to make another call to Charter, as no channels would pull up as much 15 minutes after the tech had split. A CSR sent a few signals my way and things were soon up and running. Will continue to monitor as well.

BTW, I was thinking I'd have to update my TiVo to allow the use of 6 tuners again, but it seems all 6 are showing in the Info > Down Arrow > Right Arrow page without entering any number sequences.
Charter's dispatch system leaves much to be desired. Every time they dispatched someone to me to work on CableCard issues, the local dispatch didn't see any notes, and sent the work order to a contractor, who is "unable to carry cablecards on the truck" per the local office. Every time someone at Charter claims they're "leaving a note" for the next person in the chain, expect that they are completely lying to you.