TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
8bit gaming

will a bran new tivo work with a way old card

just ordered a new tivo plus with 6 steams.
our old tivo had 2 cards in it one was an s card one was an M card
its over 7 years old
i wanted to be sure that a 7 year old card made when 2 streams was alot would be able to work properly with 6 streams.
also when this card was made tivos could not use on demand but now they can so does the card need to be updated to get that?
the part number is
514517-002-00

8bit gaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
8bit gaming

i have read some pepole with my model card had issues with pixlation and some streams not working.
but that post was from 2013 and they implied an firmware update would fix issues

Old 04-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

The old M-card will probably work, but the only way to know for sure is to try it. The firmware updates get pushed automatically, so hopefully the card's firmware has already been updated. If it hasn't, then it might get updated when you first insert it into the new Roamio.

tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
8bit gaming

thanks tarheelblue
i talked to comcast to and they said it should work....but they said that with out asking if it was an s type or m type and we know s type do not work so the fact they did not ask this befor saying yes it will work makes me doubt they know what they are talking about

Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
b-ball-fanatic

I'd swing by a Comcast store, if that's an option, and just swap it for a new one. New TiVo, new card....fewer problems.

b-ball-fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
8bit gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ball-fanatic View Post
I'd swing by a Comcast store, if that's an option, and just swap it for a new one. New TiVo, new card....fewer problems.
well that should work we already have to swing by one to drop off the extra card.
sadly our old tivo is broken.
it keeps freezing many times a day somtimes restarting some times needing to be unpluged to work again
otherwise wed keep the extra card to get cable in another room

Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ball-fanatic View Post
I would advise against turning in an old card that works for a new card that might not. I doubt cable companies bother to test CableCards to make sure they still work. When someone brings in one that doesn't work, they just throw it back into the pile and hand it to the next guy that walks through the door asking for one. When I got my Roamio, the first CableCard TWC gave me wouldn't work at all, and I had to go back down and wait in line for another hour to get a second one. Try the old card first, and if it works, great. If it doesn't work, that's when you should swap it out for another one.

Last edited by tarheelblue32; 04-06-2015 at 11:08 PM.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I would advise against turning in an old card that works for a new card that might not. I doubt cable companies bother to test CableCards to make sure they still work. When someone brings in one that doesn't work, they just throw it back into the pile and hand it to the next guy that walks through the door asking for one. When I got my Roamio, the first CableCard TWC gave me wouldn't work at all, and I had to go back down and wait in line for another hour to get a second one. Try the old card first, and if it works, great. If it doesn't work, that's when you should swap it out for another one.
+1. I agree with tarheelblue, if it's working now don't mess with the mojo, and at least a "bran" new TiVo will be regular and it's data will probably flow mo' betta!

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #9
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Of course cable companies test the cable cards. Every time they send one home. In home testing! I think they keep testing them too just to see if they can be saved.