TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
BeanoC

Arrow After coming out of pause, there is no sound

I'm having a strange problem I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I have searched these forums but have not found a thread addressing this, so here I am.

Whenever I pause my Tivo (Roamio +), there is no sound upon coming out of pause. It's never happened before, and it appears to have coincided with the "One Pass" update. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I am not using any external speakers of any sort - just HDMI from the Tivo to the TV. It has worked perfectly since the day I bought it, but now I lose sound every time I pause the unit. This has been going on for a week or so now. I have to go back to Tivo Central, play live TV, then go back again and replay my recorded show. What a pain! I can't figure out what is going on and the problem does not go away. I have reset the Tivo twice, but no change. Would love some help on this one!

Thanks,
Ben

BeanoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanoC View Post
I'm having a strange problem I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I have searched these forums but have not found a thread addressing this, so here I am.

Whenever I pause my Tivo (Roamio +), there is no sound upon coming out of pause. It's never happened before, and it appears to have coincided with the "One Pass" update. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I am not using any external speakers of any sort - just HDMI from the Tivo to the TV. It has worked perfectly since the day I bought it, but now I lose sound every time I pause the unit. This has been going on for a week or so now. I have to go back to Tivo Central, play live TV, then go back again and replay my recorded show. What a pain! I can't figure out what is going on and the problem does not go away. I have reset the Tivo twice, but no change. Would love some help on this one!

Thanks,
Ben
And the 8-sec skip-back Replay button never helps?

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Go to Settings/Audio and somewhere there is a setting "Dolby to PCM" should be set to.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
Bytez

Happens sometimes here too.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #5
arcusjim

I have the same problem !!! Opened up a case with Tivo today. They told me to unplug the unit and plug it back in and see if this works. I will let you know, otherwise I will call them again tomorrow.

I just unplugged my unit and it still has the same problem. I will call Tivo tomorrow to see what they say.

Last edited by arcusjim; 02-24-2015 at 01:03 AM..
arcusjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
sinanju

Also having issues with audio after trick play, generally, not just pause, both on HDMI and digital optical.

sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
DaveMN

It's taking 4-5 seconds for the audio to resume after a pause for me. Did not happen prior to the latest update.

DaveMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
arcusjim

I spoke with Tivo support. The fix is to go into Audio setup Dolby and change it to PCM. This worked for me.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
rkin1997

My research, after online support communication suggestions not working, seems to support an issue related to the latest One Pass update.

I have Roamio OTA, which worked fine, until recent updates, I believe. Sound is lost, if pausing either live or recorded programs (sometimes repeating the on/off process works). However the HDMI TV link seems to be the problem. Leaving the TV speakers on does not work(thus eliminating A/V variable). Going direct from the Tivo box (via optical cable to A/V receiver) seems to resolve the problem. This option does not allow my A/V to auto shutoff due to constant input (thus need to do an additional A/V turnoff(vs timed automatic A/V shutoff default), since Tivo will keep the audio connection open).
Not sure if this info helps, but it does seem to be a recent issue related to Tivo HDMI communication with the TV. Yes, I know about Dolby/PCM options. PCM seems to resolve, but eliminates features of my fairly new TV/A/V setup. Preliminary tests do not support any problems with my fairly new TV/A/V setup.

It was working fine, for several weeks, until the latest update.

rkin1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcusjim View Post
I spoke with Tivo support. The fix is to go into Audio setup Dolby and change it to PCM. This worked for me.
Glad it worked for you.

However, switching to PCM is not a solution.

sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
arcusjim

I agree but it seems that is the only solution they are pushing.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #12
ConcordDave

Same issue here. HDMI to TV and optical to Sonos. Internmitent issues with sound after pause etc. Hopefully this gets fixed.

ConcordDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
heifer624

"Kinda" the same issue here. HDMI to TV and TV optical to Sound-bar. Coming out of Tivo Central and back to live TV via zoom button there is 3-5 second lag on the sound. Has happened to me twice now since update. I was able to cure it by recycling power cord to TV.

I have not had the problem coming out of pause like the OP.

heifer624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #14
Colbyt

Add me to the list of people who developed problems after the 'one pass' update. Mine is happening on recorded shows and with netflix.

I will check out the above suggested solutions including the hard reboot.

The only temp solution, quite a PITA, is to switch the input, get sound and return, then rewind the show to the point of loss.

Edit: YMMV but changing the TV output to PCM not only solved this problem for me it eliminated the 3-4 second delay that was with me from day 1.

I really don't understand why it worked since I am not using digital audio out at all. I have the sound bar connected to the TV via the RCA jacks cause I was lazy the day it came.

Last edited by Colbyt; 03-08-2015 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: see EDIT:
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If the TiVo is connected to the TV with HDMI and the sound bar is connected to the TV with RCA jacks, where do you think the audio comes from? Hint: the HDMI connection carries digital audio, and your TV is converting digital audio to analog to send out the RCA jacks.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #16
The Merg
1*

I am having the same issue with my Roamio Pro and Vizio TV. I am only connected to the TV via HDMI. The issue occurs almost every time I pause a recording or when I hit the TiVo button at the end of watching a recording.

I'll give the Dolby setting fix a try.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #17
The Merg
1*

It appears that might've fixed my issue. Thanks.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just had an audio issue yesterday. I turned on my TV and there was no sound coming from my Roamio. I turned on/off the TV and AVR several times, nothing. Tried changing the audio to PCM, nothing. Rebooted the UI using the TU,TD, P, P code, nothing. I switched to my wife's TiVo and it worked fine, switched back to mine and still nothing. No sound effects in the menus or audio from recordings or live TV. Worst part is it was recording something so I couldn't even reboot right away. I ended up having to use my wife's TiVo to stream shows from mine so I could even watch TV. (at least that was an option) When there was finally a lull in the recording I rebooted and the sound started working again.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #19
Colbyt

I thought we were the only couple with his n' hers.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
We tried to share once, it didn't turn out well. We've had his/hers ever since.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #21
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Happening here as well since the last update. Switching to PCM didn't do a thing.

Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #22
iWish

+1 with sound issues after OnePass update. Very frustrating. Doesn't impact my mini, just the Roamio basic.

While the PCM "fix" gets me consistent sound I don't want to lose DD. Switching hdmi cable and/or inputs suggested by Tivo support did not help.

No similar issues prior to recent update using same equipment (tv, receive, TiVo) for last six months.

Tivo, hope you are listening. Please fix.

iWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #23
ic316

Same issue here

Have been having this issue too, from day one after upgrade. So annoying. Hopefully a fix is in the works, as this is the type of problem that would push me to explore other DVR options, and I've been a loyal customer of about 15 years.

ic316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #24
HarperVision

Has anyone also had issues with audio being mute when you first boot into The Vudu app and try to play the trailer of a movie? Every time I log in and do that I miss about the first 10-15 secs of audio on the trailer so I have to rewind once it actually starts.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #25
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I just had an audio issue yesterday. I turned on my TV and there was no sound coming from my Roamio. I turned on/off the TV and AVR several times, nothing. Tried changing the audio to PCM, nothing. Rebooted the UI using the TU,TD, P, P code, nothing. I switched to my wife's TiVo and it worked fine, switched back to mine and still nothing. No sound effects in the menus or audio from recordings or live TV. Worst part is it was recording something so I couldn't even reboot right away. I ended up having to use my wife's TiVo to stream shows from mine so I could even watch TV. (at least that was an option) When there was finally a lull in the recording I rebooted and the sound started working again.
Actually its Play, Play

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #26
tryx911

Have the same problem as everyone else is with sound not coming on after pause or even a quick fast forward or rewind is preformed and yes switching from dolby to pcm does fix it but that also turns off dolby digital on my receiver output. It shows what kind of audio is being outputted like dts or digital and when I change it to pcm it loses the digital and shows simulated surround so just stereo sound which is unacceptable to me! Tried using optical out of the tivo for the sound to my audio receiver instead of hdmi and it seems much improved with the sound loss although it still happens every so often but with this setup the sound is often out of sync with the picture so no mater what I do I lose something.

tryx911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #27
jbyers

Same problem...

Changing audio selection from Dolby to PCM remedies the problem, but the sound quality is terribly inferior!

jbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #28
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbyers View Post
Changing audio selection from Dolby to PCM remedies the problem, but the sound quality is terribly inferior!
Are you using a 5.1 speaker system? How is it connected to the TiVo?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #29
Kash76
Live TV?

So nobody has this problem with their mini? If so, I will change the locations of my equipment.

There is no way to keep the preview window on the mini while in TiVo central right? I like that difference that using the TiVo Roamio offers.

Former DirecTV TiVo User (ended in 2006). Ended DTV service in '15

Roamio Basic TiVo Lifetime Sub w/2TB drive using a Comcast Cablecard
2 TiVo Minis
TiVo Stream
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #30
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If the preview window were open all the time, the Mini would be using a tuner all the time, unless you were playing a recording and went to TiVo Central.

I don't think most people would want a tuner permanently in use for the preview window.

I have the window turned off. I wish I could turn it off in the guide too.