TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
alleybj

Mild Pixelation

I am still seeing mild pixilation on premium channels-- you have to look closely to see that it actually is pixilation-- the picture actually appears to float or move slightly, intermittently, maybe every ten or fifteen minutes. I've attenuated down to the recommended levels and it still happens. I have three tivos-- Roamio pro, Elite and Premiere-- it does it on all of them. I have Comcast coming out to check the lines. Diagnostics don't show any errors. Is anyone else seeing anything like this? This only started happening since the latest update. Coincidence? Any thoughts? thanks
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
I am still seeing mild pixilation on premium channels-- you have to look closely to see that it actually is pixilation-- the picture actually appears to float or move slightly, intermittently, maybe every ten or fifteen minutes. I've attenuated down to the recommended levels and it still happens. I have three tivos-- Roamio pro, Elite and Premiere-- it does it on all of them. I have Comcast coming out to check the lines. Diagnostics don't show any errors. Is anyone else seeing anything like this? This only started happening since the latest update. Coincidence? Any thoughts? thanks
When was the last update? Its odd but ive experienced 3 lock ups during playback in the past 3 days that required hard reboot (unplug).

I just assumed it was a glich.... but now im beginning to think its the same problem we had about 8 months ago when tivomargaret asked for us to pm her directly with our roamio lock up issues that eventually needed a service update to resolve...
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
FitzAusTex

I, too, am battling "mild" pixelation. Am about to write down the frequencies of the offending channels, but definitely showtime, starz, cinemax, and to a lesser extent HBOs. I notice it often on golf channel, but haven't really caught it on locals or the news channels. Time Warner has replaced the coax from the pole to my house, and I've swapped out the cable card and tuning adapter.

The pixelation is often multiple horizontal "bands" of distortion. My signal is generally 90 to 92, with snrs of 36 or 37. Probably normal, but staring at the diagnostic screen, the number will bounce from 90 to 92 to 90 ,etc every few seconds. They're sending out a tech again on Saturday to do more testing , and are potentially going to leave me with one of their dvrs to see if problem persists with theirs.

Is there any definitive solution to this? Any feedback to help me eliminate this pixelation is appreciated.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
FitzAusTex

Oh, and yes the cable card and tuning adapter firmware are up to date:CableCard firmware*version*is PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 and the latest Tuning Adapter firmware*version*is STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.190
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
alleybj

The problem seems to have been fixed for me. I had added attenuators to bring the signal down from 100 and the SNR down from 41. Not sure exactly what did it. Comcast came out and fixed some connections, but that didn't do it alone. I had my own cable guy come out who measured my signal and said no matter what the Tivo said, signal strength was too low. I took all of the attenuators off, and so far, it seems to be fixed.
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote