TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Blacklist: "IVAN" 3/24/2014- SPOILERS

That one was a bit of a let down. Borderline cheesy storyline. "Oh, teen wants girl so bad he'll do anything to win her love!" Meh. Overall I thought the whole Ivan thing was lame.

The only thing worth anything was the small cat and mouse chase between wife and "hubby". Everything else was just hokey and forgettable IMO.

Lots of suspension of belief stuff too. Ivan's ease of taking an uber high tech gadget and using it as if it's just as easy to use as his iPod.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Jayjoans

Not only was it a bit cheesy, they hired that not very good actress from Hostages to once again play the weepy daughter. Ugh.

Last edited by Jayjoans : 03-25-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
unitron

Was that faux substitute teacher and cowboy hat black guy in the grave?

The way the camera kept moving around it was hard to tell if they showed the same face twice or 2 different faces.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
jeepair

Hi honey, I'm about to investigate a building at xyz address and I hope you are well. Bye.

Red said he has never lied to Liz. I'm guessing he is her biological father but left and his friend was her 'father' and looked after her.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
dtle

I think this the first episode where the person on the list was not the culprit.

As for the Lizzy and Tom altercation, shouldn't Lizzy watch the camera's recording to see who left the building? I'm sure Tom would've had cameras on all entrances/exits.

I think Red stated that he's not Lizzy's father. But maybe uncle, or an older brother?
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
I think Red stated that he's not Lizzy's father. But maybe uncle, or an older brother?
Sibling should have shown up on a DNA test. Not sure about uncle.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
randian

Red is too old for it to be likely he's her brother. Since Tom predates Red's appearance in her life, what is his real target?
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
That one was a bit of a let down. Borderline cheesy storyline. "Oh, teen wants girl so bad he'll do anything to win her love!" Meh. Overall I thought the whole Ivan thing was lame.

Yes, I agree. But I'm a little confused. This top secret computer lab is crashed and the guy kills the power and runs out with the prototype. Gets into his car and someone hacks into his car (yeah right!!!) to set off the air bag and he crashes and dies. Then the prototype is taken. Then Red meets up with Ivan who seems to have the thing and has to pay Red 8 million to be saved and Red "kills" one of the FBI agents. Then Ivan is on the plane with Red. But does he still have the prototype? And I thought the young kid eventually ends up with it. Was the young kid the one who crashed the computer lab and then took the prototype from the car.

If all of the above was true then where did Ivan come in.

And yes the only interesting part was with Lizzie almost finding her hubby at the hideout and ultimately seeing that blue toy in the surveillance video.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Speaking of...

I also love how incredibly fast/easy it is to, in this case, hit a few buttons on a tablet device while running through a kitchen and sudden;y Red had millions of dollars transferred to his bank account.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Fahtrim

"case of the week" writing was freaking TERRIBLE, overall plot still decent
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
If all of the above was true then where did Ivan come in.

And yes the only interesting part was with Lizzie almost finding her hubby at the hideout and ultimately seeing that blue toy in the surveillance video.

Gerry
If I understood it right, the kid did it all and just signed Ivan's name to it. But where did a 17 year old kid come up with Ivan's name in the first place?

The other part was cool, but was that a one of a kind blue toy? I admit, it's suspicious, but so was the box of stuff she found under the floorboards. But this time he got no benefit of the doubt.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
If I understood it right, the kid did it all and just signed Ivan's name to it.
Yes, Ivan and Red discussed this on the plane. Red could tell that Ivan didn't have a clue what he was talking about and called him on it. Ivan fessed up.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
bryhamm
randomize

This show is losing me.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Speaking of...

I also love how incredibly fast/easy it is to, in this case, hit a few buttons on a tablet device while running through a kitchen and sudden;y Red had millions of dollars transferred to his bank account.
Yes that kind of thing always annoys me but it happens in many shows. Just a few clicks on any old computer device and millions of dollars are transferred!!

Quote:
If I understood it right, the kid did it all and just signed Ivan's name to it. But where did a 17 year old kid come up with Ivan's name in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post
Yes, Ivan and Red discussed this on the plane. Red could tell that Ivan didn't have a clue what he was talking about and called him on it. Ivan fessed up.
Yes, I think that's right. But why was Ivan fleeing in the first place? Was it because his name was being used by the kid when the thing was stolen? Lastly, what happened to Ivan after the trip in Red's jet? Do we assume that Red took him someplace where he would be hard to find and Ivan just goes away?

And again I agree that other than Lizzie and her hubby this week's episode was rather weak!!

Gerry
Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
As for the Lizzy and Tom altercation, shouldn't Lizzy watch the camera's recording to see who left the building? I'm sure Tom would've had cameras on all entrances/exits.
The cameras wouldn't necessarily be recording. They probably are just there so he could see outside while he was inside.

And even if the feeds were being recorded, they probably would be recorded off-site.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #16
Fahtrim

Quote:

The other part was cool, but was that a one of a kind blue toy? I admit, it's suspicious, but so was the box of stuff she found under the floorboards. But this time he got no benefit of the doubt.
fool me once shame on you............

He's been suspicious, and she's a trained FBI agent, anyone else and she wouldn't have given him this much slack, hence the flashbacks to all the other scenes. It wasn't "benefit of the doubt". It's simply overwhelming evidence at this time.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Have we ever been told what agency/organization hubby works for?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
busyba
The Funcooker

No. We only know a codename of "Berlin".

Old 03-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
MirclMax
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
No. We only know a codename of "Berlin".
What made you think that was a codename?

I thought it was the actual location. (i.e. they are German agents)
MirclMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirclMax View Post

I think he used the right word. It could be a codename, it could be the location. Either way, it is obviously not the formal name of the organization running the mission (unless the organization is really lame).
Old 03-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirclMax View Post

I suppose that's always a possibility. It just didn't strike me as literal when I first heard it.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #22
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Yes that kind of thing always annoys me but it happens in many shows. Just a few clicks on any old computer device and millions of dollars are transferred!!
Well, I don't have millions of dollars in a bank account so I don't know know for sure, but I don't see why it couldn't work like that. I can transfer $100 to my daughter's bank account with a few clicks on my computer.

Quote:
Yes, I think that's right. But why was Ivan fleeing in the first place? Was it because his name was being used by the kid when the thing was stolen? Lastly, what happened to Ivan after the trip in Red's jet? Do we assume that Red took him someplace where he would be hard to find and Ivan just goes away?
Heh! You really lost the thread here

So. Ivan stole $5 million from Red in the past. Red thinks that Ivan is the one who pulled the current heist of the secret technology and tells the FBI. And oh by the way, he's going to try to get his money back at the same time. So they all go to Russia and Red sets up Ivan by having the FBI and Russian police pretend to be about to arrest Ivan in the restaurant. Red says he'll save Ivan for the measly price of $8 million dollars, which Ivan pays. Red then pretends to shoot an FBI agent to get Ivan to believe it's all true, and spirits Ivan out of the country on his private plane. During the ride, Red grills Ivan and discovers that the person who did the hacks was not Ivan, and that someone who is "very good" has been pretending to be Ivan for months and Ivan can't figure out who it is.

That's the last we see of Ivan; presumably since Red got his money back he doesn't have any more business with Ivan, so Ivan simply walked off of Red's plane when it landed and is now free to hack again.

Meantime we discover that the teenager is the one who's really been doing all this stuff all along and pretending to be Ivan. No doubt Ivan has a serious rep amongst the cracker community and that's how the kid knew about him and decided to use his name to avoid any suspicion.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #23
vman

Quote:
But where did a 17 year old kid come up with Ivan's name in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Meantime we discover that the teenager is the one who's really been doing all this stuff all along and pretending to be Ivan. No doubt Ivan has a serious rep amongst the cracker community and that's how the kid knew about him and decided to use his name to avoid any suspicion.
Red even says it in the beginning - Ivan is known in the deep dark parts of the internet where only hardcore hackers and foolish teenagers go.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #24
Gerryex

Quote:
Well, I don't have millions of dollars in a bank account so I don't know know for sure, but I don't see why it couldn't work like that. I can transfer $100 to my daughter's bank account with a few clicks on my computer.
Yes, so can I. BUT . . . the transaction does not clear nor is spendable by the destination account until at least the next business day or sometimes even more. I doubt people like Red are going to proceed unless the transferred money had cleared into their accounts.

Quote:
Heh! You really lost the thread here
So. Ivan stole $5 million from Red in the past . . .
Sometimes I tend to doze off and I think I did at the very beginning of the show but then was pretty alert for most of the rest of it. What I missed was the set up with Ivan up until the fake killing of the FBI agent.

Thanks for taking the time to fill me in!!

Gerry
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
john4200

Quote:
Yes, so can I. BUT . . . the transaction does not clear nor is spendable by the destination account until at least the next business day or sometimes even more.
I think you are confusing EFT with wire transfers. EFT takes time (I think this is by design, they probably make money on the "float").

But wire transfers are valid almost immediately. Most banks charge a stiff fee for wire transfers (hence they do not need to hold the funds to make money on the "float"). However, with wire transfers of any sizable amount, all the banks I have dealt with want to have a banker personally speak with someone whose account is being debited (to prevent fraud). Maybe there are banks that will allow large wire transfers with just a computer password, but I have never dealt with one.

Of course, in TV-world, all systems can be hacked instantly by a clever hacker, so perhaps the transfer did not go through official channels.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Of course, in TV-world, all systems can be hacked instantly by a clever hacker, so perhaps the transfer did not go through official channels.
Heh. When I was in college (late 80s), my degree adviser loved the ideas of computers, but didn't have a clue how they worked. Since I was a computer expert (I knew how to press the "on" button, y'see, and type stuff in), he kept asking me to show him how to do truly bizarre and impossible things. Finally, I said "You don't want a computer. You want magic."

I know he didn't go on to become a Hollywood screenwriter, but I think he may have missed his true calling.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #27
Gerryex

Quote:
I think you are confusing EFT with wire transfers. EFT takes time (I think this is by design, they probably make money on the "float").
I don't think so. One time I had to wire a sizable amount of money to pay off a loan and there was a charge from the bank and it was definitely called a wire transfer. And it took 2 or 3 business days to take place.

Quote:
Yeah, this is how it always works on TV or in movies. I also HATE where some hacker can get on to any computer and within a few key strokes break into any system they want. In this case this prototype was some kind of special hardware that could hack into anything and I'm sorry but that just can't happen!!! But again I suppose this is just "poetic license!!!"

Gerry
Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #28
Allanon

Quote:

But wire transfers are valid almost immediately. Most banks charge a stiff fee for wire transfers (hence they do not need to hold the funds to make money on the "float"). However, with wire transfers of any sizable amount, all the banks I have dealt with want to have a banker personally speak with someone whose account is being debited (to prevent fraud). Maybe there are banks that will allow large wire transfers with just a computer password, but I have never dealt with one.

You guys are thinking American banking. They probably have accounts in Switzerland, Cayman Islands, or some shady banking country that don't keep track of people and transactions. Or they use Bitcoin.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #29
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
I think he used the right word. It could be a codename, it could be the location. Either way, it is obviously not the formal name of the organization running the mission (unless the organization is really lame).
Maybe he is an agent for the forces of KAOS?

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #30
john4200

Quote:
One time I had to wire a sizable amount of money to pay off a loan and there was a charge from the bank and it was definitely called a wire transfer. And it took 2 or 3 business days to take place.
I'm not sure what delayed your wire transfer. I have done a number of wire transfers between banks, including some between countries. The funds are available at the receiving end either same day (usually within an hour), or sometimes first thing next day if the transfer is near the end of banking hours on the receiving end.