TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Mind Games premieres 2/25

Steve Zahn and Christian Slater.

Quote:
With a little bit of science, a dash of con artistry, plus a smattering of Jedi mind tricks — brothers Ross (Christian Slater) and Clark Edwards (Steve Zahn) can tailor a plan to influence any life-altering situation, thereby making their clients’ dreams come true and their nightmares go away. They are partners in The Edwards Agency, an unusual business based on the belief that people’s decisions are influenced by their environment in ways they’re not aware. Clark is a former university professor and world-renowned expert in the fields of human behavior, psychology and motivation. But Clark has mood swings which are a result of him not taking his meds for a bipolar condition, sometimes resulting in quirky, manic episodes. Older brother Ross, a brilliant schemer recently out of prison after a two-year stint for fraud, has come up with the business model that he believes can make him and his team millions of dollars. Although his energy is infectious, his tactics can be questionable and his strategies border on the illegal. Now, if he can just avoid letting his manic brother from going off the rails…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_Games_%28TV_series%29

Looking forward to this scene :

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Any show with Christian Slater gets a chance from me. Steve Zahn is a nice bonus.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
VegasVic
Craps Player

I don't think I've seen all of the episodes but the ones I did see I enjoyed.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I don't think I've seen all of the episodes but the ones I did see I enjoyed.
Doc Brown? Is that you?

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

Doc Brown? Is that you?
LMAO!!!

I assume VegasVic got confused and was thinking of "Brain Games" on The National Geographic Channel.
This new show seems very intriguing to me. I really like both actors.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
VegasVic
Craps Player

Oh crap, I'm thinking Brain Games lol
Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
LooseWiring

I would give the show a watch but Christian Slater is the kiss of death for renewal.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Perhaps I will test my theory about shows like this with this show. I think they start out being heavily about the trick premise and sticking fairly well to it. Eventually the show goes into a phase where basically the trick becomes borderline omnipotence and they stop explaining why or how things are happening. Then they just abandon it all together and it becomes a formulaic drivel of vat. Lie to Me and Elementary followed this pattern pretty well.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
LooseWiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Perhaps I will test my theory about shows like this with this show. I think they start out being heavily about the trick premise and sticking fairly well to it. Eventually the show goes into a phase where basically the trick becomes borderline omnipotence and they stop explaining why or how things are happening. Then they just abandon it all together and it becomes a formulaic drivel of vat. Lie to Me and Elementary followed this pattern pretty well.
LOL, when I read the first part of your thread the first show I thought of was Lie To Me. Can't really agree about Elementary. Yet.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring View Post
LOL, when I read the first part of your thread the first show I thought of was Lie To Me. Can't really agree about Elementary. Yet.
Yeah, it's taking longer but I feel it slowly heading down the drivel path. The omnipotence came pretty early actually.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The premise sounds interesting, and I really like both actors, so I'll definitely give it a try. Hopefully this will be a better vehicle for Slater than his last few TV outings. However, given the time of year it's premiering, we have to assume the network doesn't have very high expectations for it.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring View Post

I would give the show a watch but Christian Slater is the kiss of death for renewal.
Very true, although I have to admit that I really enjoyed "Breaking In" until the network revamped it and brought in Megan Mullally. Then it pretty much sucked. For the most part, I think Slater is a good actor that simply chooses a lot of bad material. True Romance is one of my favorite movies.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Very true, although I have to admit that I really enjoyed "Breaking In" until the network revamped it and brought in Megan Mullally. Then it pretty much sucked. For the most part, I think Slater is a good actor that simply chooses a lot of bad material. True Romance is one of my favorite movies.
My Own Worst Enemy was excellent. Mike O'Malley was great in it as well.

Pre-reboot Breaking In was a hoot. I'll allow it!

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I think Slater picks (mostly) pretty good shows actually. But they never seem to live up to their promise, and it doesn't seem to have much to do with him. Sometimes it's the writers, or it's a good show but just can't seem to find an audience. A TV show isn't like a movie where you get to read the entire script before you commit. It's hard to blame the actors for "choosing" a show that started out as promising but then went bad, IMO, since the start is all they had to go on.

I think Slater likes shows that have a bit of difference to them and that can make it tough to find a hit.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I tried it cuz of Slater. But man, I wanted to FF through so much of this. I doubt I will watch again.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #16
eddyj

Not impressed either. The frenetic guy was like a copy of Robin Williams, and I dropped The Crazy Ones after one episode because of that. I might give this one another couple of episodes (I try to always do at least three), but if I had to choose today, I would dump it.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
Idearat

I give first episodes a fair amount of leeway seeing how they have to set the stage, introduce characters and such. But this one is on the cusp already. For some reason the bit about paying the coed to start a relationship to get his brother fired annoyed me. It had the feel of contriving a season-long story arc. I don't know why, but it just came across that way. On the surface it would seem to be an issue that could split the brothers up permanently, but seeing as they are the two stars of the show that isn't very likely.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #18
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Kyle Killen usually has good shows and I hope this one was just a case of an over reaching pilot. I'll give it another episode or two before I give up. Steve Zahn seems to be playing his character from Treme on speed.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #19
tlc

I liked the first ep a lot. Zahn is great. The final reveal about getting someone fired seemed unnecessary, though.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #20
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

And it's cancelled.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/27/ab...ls-mind-games/
Rainy Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #21
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Dave View Post
I'd stopped watching it, but was still recording. Getting dumped now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #22
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Christian Slater really should just give up on this whole idea of being the lead on a television series. It just isn't working out for him.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #23
mattack

BUMMER.. I liked this series, and have mostly been keeping up with it.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #24
JYoung
Series 3

Given the ratings, this isn't a surprise.

Too bad as I thought it was interesting.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #25
ehusen
Geek not Nerd

Ehhh, I felt it was remaking "Leverage" or "The Sting" but using psychobabble to make it seem new. They were pretty much con men, but for "justice" instead of making money.

And the bipolar antics of the secondary lead were just annoying. If he is that easily flipping out then you just don't use him for the actual con. Let him plan all day but keep him out of the field.

So not really sad it's gone. I thought Slater's other failed series were more entertaining than this one. It's too bad, when Slater first popped on the scene back in the day I thought he was going to be the next big movie star.

I think he is a good actor, he just hasn't found the right venue. But after this many failed series, he may be done.

If he shows up on SyFy's "movie of the week", we can all assume his career is over...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #26
mattack

Yeah, Slater's other show was FAR FAR better.. Though I thought this one was pretty decent.

Yikes, apparently 7 unaired episodes. Move your SP to the top and record new & rerun, in case they have incorrect OADs.

I don't quite get why Slater switched out the drugs though. Why did he want his brother to have a full on attack?

I also wouldn't call this *completely* psychobabble. Sure, not 100% realistic, but a lot of the stuff seemed to be based on real effects but exaggerated for TV.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote