TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
BH9244

Random ReStarts on Tivo Elite

My Tivo Elite 2TB unit has recently started rebooting without prompt several times a day, doesn't seem to occur in conjunction with any particular activity or action oftentimes while viewing live TV it will re-boot without warning. Wondering if this a sign of impending Hard Drive Failure. Anyone experience this or have suggestions to troubleshoot.. Thanks..
BH9244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Might try be the drive since the power supply and hard drive are usually the first to go bad.

That or your Elite discovered the Tivo has a new series 5 dvr available and the "time to upgrade protocol" code buried deep inside the Tivo Elite was triggered?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
BH9244

I have several WD 2TB EZRX drives available anyone know if this is a usable drive in the Tivo Elite , figure I will make a clone copy in any event.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #4
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Wait it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH9244 View Post
My TiVo Elite has recently started rebooting without prompt several times a day
Both of my Elite/XL4's have been randomly crashing & rebooting as if TiVo's servers are sending them bad data. Other XL4 users have reported it too. Might have to just wait it out as TiVo customer service fields enough complaints and rolls out a fix.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3#post10011663
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
BH9244

Another helpful userwho was experiencing identical issues with his Elite units suggested that this was a bad data issue and not a disk failure, his workaround was to unplug the network cable and manually do updates periodically, I used this successfully for a couple weeks and during that time not once did the unit reboot. I have since heard from that user that Tivo has acknowledged the issue and corrected it, I have plugged back in and all has been stable so far.

Thanks MHunter1 !!

Last edited by BH9244 : 03-24-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: add text