TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Boid

Omaha/Sarpy Cox + Cable Card Single Channel V53

I'm asking for help from fellow Omaha-area Cox subscribers with cable cards. Please check channel 1066 (MSNBC) and if it's out do a fellow TiVo owner a solid and call it in to Cox. Don't let them try to "reset your box" or re-pair your CC or any of that; we just need the report.

Starting last Sunday or Monday, 1066 went out for me and a fellow Roamio owner a few miles away. We called it in separately (him twice in the last 7 days, me 4 times), but apparently there isn't a "trend" in their system so they haven't done anything. The only thing the CSR offered is to send a tech, which is going to be a waste of time for both of us. But whatever, he's coming out tomorrow AM to tell me he doesn't know crap about cable cards, just like all the techs.

All other channels are working fine, including the SD version (66) and premiums (HBO etc.). This happened about a year or so ago (except that time the MSNBC channel was displaying FOXN on both SD and HD - haha very funny Cox) and eventually they figured out that they had messed up the channel map and fixed it at their end.

But first they need a "trend", so if you're in the area and 1066 is out for you, give 'em a call please!
Boid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

MSNBC HD is most likely a SDV channel, it is in most Cox markets, I am always having trouble keeping it tuned in. It seems to me that Cox has the time-out set very short on that channel or group of channels using that frequency.

I find that if I directly tune to the channel it will immediately time-out.
But if I use channel-up then channel-down it will usually stay tuned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Boid

It's a good thought, but not the case in the Omaha area. No channels above 1000 are SDV in our area, and tuning adapters are not required (unless you use the several dozen channels in the 400-500 range which they moved to SDV a year or so ago).

Of course, they continue to try to give me a tuning adapter and I keep telling them no. Except one time when I took one just to get them to stop bugging me. I never hooked it up, but it caused all sorts of problems when pairing my CC because the CSR didn't seem to understand that yes, there is a TA listed on my account, but no, I am not currently using it. Finally just gave it back to them and had them drop all hardware off my account and start fresh. Now everything is working, except 1066.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
MSNBC HD is most likely a SDV channel, it is in most Cox markets, I am always having trouble keeping it tuned in. It seems to me that Cox has the time-out set very short on that channel or group of channels using that frequency.

I find that if I directly tune to the channel it will immediately time-out.
But if I use channel-up then channel-down it will usually stay tuned.
I've noticed all this as well. It can be very frustrating. It also makes the What To Watch Now feature virtually useless, when I tune all non-recording tuners to movie channels (which are mostly SDV), hoping I'll find something to watch, using WTWN, and Cox has timed-out the channels I had tuned, when I spot something I'd like to watch, without missing the beginning.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 03-24-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Boid

Yeah, I dread the day they start putting the 1000-series channels into SDV. I do not want to deal with a TA.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Boid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Well I owe you an apology. Apparently they have changed the SDV list in spite of my numerous questions about it and their equally numerous answers of "no, we have not changed the list of SDV channels."

At least, adding a TA fixed the issue so I'm stuck with it whether it actually is required or not. Now I will just pray I don't get any of the issues people report with TA's. Mine does have X.37 firmware at least. More cables to hide behind the AV rack...ugh!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boid View Post
Well I owe you an apology. Apparently they have changed the SDV list in spite of my numerous questions about it and their equally numerous answers of "no, we have not changed the list of SDV channels."

At least, adding a TA fixed the issue so I'm stuck with it whether it actually is required or not. Now I will just pray I don't get any of the issues people report with TA's. Mine does have X.37 firmware at least. More cables to hide behind the AV rack...ugh!
there are channels below 1000 on SDV the Hub CMT Pure Country OWN it's not so much SDV as it's the TA handles the channel map.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
Boid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
there are channels below 1000 on SDV the Hub CMT Pure Country OWN it's not so much SDV as it's the TA handles the channel map.
Yeah, my confusion was that the letter they sent a year or two ago only listed channels below 1000, and none were channels I used so I did not ask for a TA. And every time they asked if I wanted a TA, I asked if they had updated the channel list. The answer was always "no", so I figured I had no reason for a TA.

Oh well, I crammed the TA behind everything in the AV rack so at least it's not visible. Seems to be working OK, so that's good.

Told my friend down the road that eventually the V53 might strike a channel he watches and a TA will be in his future. Right now he's just a lucky SOB.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I crammed the TA behind everything in the AV rack so at least it's not visible. Seems to be working OK, so that's good.
I had tried that approach, thinking "Why should I even have to see them?", then found myself rethinking that after missing a bunch of recordings in several rooms, when all the TAs lost authorization, which I would have caught, had I been able to see the blinking light on the TA.

I tend to notice when a (normally) always solid light starts blinking, and I had hidden them all out of sight.... I do go days without actually turning the TVs on sometimes, so rather than always leave the TVs on, I relocated the stupid TAs back into very visible locations...

Of course, since doing so, the only time the TA LEDs were blinking was during the TiVo-Service-Connection-Induced random TiVo reboots...

Always something, no matter what I do, or how I think.... <sigh>
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
ajwees41

Quote:
Yeah, my confusion was that the letter they sent a year or two ago only listed channels below 1000, and none were channels I used so I did not ask for a TA. And every time they asked if I wanted a TA, I asked if they had updated the channel list. The answer was always "no", so I figured I had no reason for a TA.

Oh well, I crammed the TA behind everything in the AV rack so at least it's not visible. Seems to be working OK, so that's good.

Told my friend down the road that eventually the V53 might strike a channel he watches and a TA will be in his future. Right now he's just a lucky SOB.
if you also posted in the cox forum you might want to go update that also.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
Boid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
if you also posted in the cox forum you might want to go update that also.
Thanks, I did.