TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
superhomey

Bad Tuner in Tivo HD?

Hi everyone,

I have an older Tivo HD unit (Verizon FIOS) that I can only watch tv on one tuner. I used to have two single stream cable cards in it. Swapped them, switched them and ultimately replaced them with a multi stream card. Nothing worked. I replaced the power supply, but that didn't work either.

The other tuner always shows a black screen that says "Searching for Signal."

I have a lifetime subscription on the box, so I would like to keep it, but I can't reliably schedule recordings anymore.

Anybody have any ideas?

J.J.
superhomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Which Series 3? The OLED (TCD648) must use 2 cable cards, no matter what kind.
TCD652 and TCD658 can use 1 multi stream, or 2 single stream cable cards.

You may need to re-run guided setup after you have validated the cable card is paired in the cable card menu.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
superhomey

It's a TCD652. I had a Verizon tech and Tivo tech on the phone at the same time. Their conclusion was slot 2 didn't work.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The M card needs to be in slot 1. Slot 2 is only for a S card.

~~~~~

Last edited by ThAbtO : 03-22-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
waynomo
My One Time

Could be a bad came card.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
superhomey

The M card is in slot 1. Originally I had two S cards and the techs had me swap them. They also had me try two S cards I have in a S3, but that didn't work either. Ultimately it didn't matter which S card was in slot 1, that would be the only one that worked. Crossing my fingers, I traded the S cards in for an M card hoping that would work since it would go in slot 1. It still didn't solve the other tuner issue.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

What does the cable card menu say? Is it paired? Does VAL: say anything other than VAL: ? (this mean unpaired).
Is the card linked to your cable billing account?

Using a M card, you do not need another card in slot 2.

Sometimes it may need to be done in a specific order, billing, pairing, re-run Guided Setup.

~~~~~

Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
superhomey

VAL: V 0x04
Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhomey View Post
Hi everyone,

I have an older Tivo HD unit (Verizon FIOS) that I can only watch tv on one tuner. I used to have two single stream cable cards in it. Swapped them, switched them and ultimately replaced them with a multi stream card. Nothing worked. I replaced the power supply, but that didn't work either.

The other tuner always shows a black screen that says "Searching for Signal."

I have a lifetime subscription on the box, so I would like to keep it, but I can't reliably schedule recordings anymore.

Anybody have any ideas?

J.J.
Is this a cable tuner only problem? Can you stick some rabbit ears or an unbent paper clip into the antenna input and tune an OTA signal on both tuners?

While trying for 2 cable channels, go into Account & System Information, DVR Diagnostics, and see if you have a problem with one of them not being able to lock onto a modulation type.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
superhomey

Looks like Tuner 0 locks the signal and modulation stays on QAM 256. Tuner 1 does not lock the signal and the modulation goes back and forth from QAM 64 to 256.

It did this when I had two single stream cards and now with a multi stream card.

I emailed Weaknees and they said they've never seen this and not sure they can fix it. Ughh!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
SNJpage1

Can you record a show on that tuner? I had a problem for awhile where I couldnt watch a channel live but I could record it. It eventually fixed itself.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
superhomey

It will try and record a show, but it just records a black screen.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Looks like Tuner 0 locks the signal and modulation stays on QAM 256. Tuner 1 does not lock the signal and the modulation goes back and forth from QAM 64 to 256.

It did this when I had two single stream cards and now with a multi stream card.

I emailed Weaknees and they said they've never seen this and not sure they can fix it. Ughh!
Do you have any analog cable available?

Have you tried seeing if both tuners work when both are tuned to Over The
Air stations?

Unlike weaKnees, I think I have seen it.

But I haven't figured out a fix yet, since it'll probably mean very tedious unsoldering and resoldering Surface Mount Devices in a trial and error substitution scheme.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
superhomey

I put a paper clip in the antenna in and was able to get quite a few channels, but only on tuner 0. Signal strength was really good for tuner 0, but no signal for tuner 1.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
I put a paper clip in the antenna in and was able to get quite a few channels, but only on tuner 0. Signal strength was really good for tuner 0, but no signal for tuner 1.
Okay, the one I have does fine on both tuners on OTA, but only one will lock on modulation scheme on analog cable (don't have any cable cards or a digital cable sub), so I'm suspecting on of the chips used and fed by that tuner.

But your case (the tuner itself as it brings in a signal at a specific frequency before downstream circuitry figures out what kind of signal it is) makes me wonder if you might have one or more capacitors on the power supply which, even if they don't show it visually, are going bad.

One of the early trouble reports that turned out to be due to "capacitor plague" was Series 2 DirecTV TiVos where one tuner worked fine and the other one didn't.

S2s and S3s are so likely to have power supply problems that one really needs to make sure there's no problem with it before one can put any faith in any other troubleshooting.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
unitron

Since it's lifetimed, you could do like I did with mine and put it (and a small TV/Video screen and speakers) on top of the refrigerator with rabbit ears and wireless adapter and use it to watch local news or shows copied from another TiVo or PC while you're chopping celery or washing dishes.