TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
kucharsk

Front panel LEDs only on when unit is not in standby?

I noticed the Roamio''s front panel LED to indicate recording only works when the Roamio is not in standby.

On my S3 the LEDs worked in Standby, so you'd always know if your show was recording or not; on my Roamio I have to take it out of standby to find out.

Is this normal behavior for the Roamio?
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Is this normal behavior for the Roamio?

Yes.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/350

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
kucharsk

The page you referenced contradicts that this is normal; it states:

Quote:
Putting a TiVo DVR into Standby mode does the following:

Stops sending video and audio from the DVR to the TV.
Causes the lights on the front of the unit to go out.
Re-enables Parental Controls if they have been temporarily disabled.

Programs that are being recorded or are scheduled to record will still be recorded. If a program is being recorded, the red light will turn on.
Mine does not do this; if the unit is in standby the front panel will remain dark until you press the TiVO button; only then will the red light illuminate showing the scheduled program is being recorded, and that's the behavior I'm asking about.

More than once I've had to turn on my Roamio to find out if a scheduled recording is being recorded or not.

EDIT: I just found out this is normal for the Roamio, regardless of what the web page said. Standby will not show any lights, regardless of what the Roamio is doing. The TiVO rep I spoke to said they get a lot of calls about it, and they know they need to update the web page.

Last edited by kucharsk : 03-23-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:03 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

One of the only things Standby even does is turn off the LEDs. Why would you even use it if you want the lights on? I know there are some people that like to use stand by to avoid having EAS alerts recorded into their programs, but with 6 tuners the likelihood of that happening is almost nill. TiVo will always use a free tuner for EAS if one is available and will only disrupt a recording if you happen to be recording on all 6 tuners at once. How often do you think 6 simultaneous recordings and EAS alerts over lap? For me it has not happened once since getting my Roamio Pro, even though it use to happen frequently with my 2 tuner S3 and Premiere units.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 AM   #5
kucharsk

Standby kills the HDMI output .

This is handy if you have your TiVO connected to an auto-sensing HDMI switch; it will automatically select the TiVO when you press the TiVO button and switch to other sources when you place it in standby.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I know there are some people that like to use stand by to avoid having EAS alerts recorded into their programs, but with 6 tuners the likelihood of that happening is almost nill. TiVo will always use a free tuner for EAS if one is available and will only disrupt a recording if you happen to be recording on all 6 tuners at once. How often do you think 6 simultaneous recordings and EAS alerts over lap? For me it has not happened once since getting my Roamio Pro, even though it use to happen frequently with my 2 tuner S3 and Premiere units.
If you're sure that's how it works, I'll take your word for it, but it makes no sense to me. Surely the TiVo is aware of an emergency alert only if it's sent from a station to which one of the tuners is already tuned. But don't EAS alerts come in on some kind of data subchannel, like closed captions? If so, then ideally the alert should be superimposed onto the video being sent to the output ports (HDMI, etc) without being recorded to disk at all. OTOH, if the TV station superimposed the alert onto the program video, then TiVo really wouldn't have any choice, and the alert would be recorded unavoidably. I'm OTA only, in case that makes a difference.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If you're sure that's how it works, I'll take your word for it, but it makes no sense to me. Surely the TiVo is aware of an emergency alert only if it's sent from a station to which one of the tuners is already tuned. But don't EAS alerts come in on some kind of data subchannel, like closed captions?
I'm OTA only, in case that makes a difference.I
OTA makes a big difference. TiVo has cablecard regulations it must follow if non-OTA. The cablecard TiVO is aware of all EAS events - the notification comes in as an out-of-band signal to the cablecard itself. Unless the TiVo knows there are no signal being sent to the TV (i.e., standby mode), the TiVO is then required to devote a tuner to whatever frequency is designated in the OOB message, and display that frequency to the viewer. As Dan said, that means the only recordings affected should be if the TiVo was already recording on all tuners, in which case one gets interrupted.

OTA is much more up to the broadcaster. Some replace the entire signal, others superimpose the alert over the show, and possibly others use the data sub-channel you suggest. AFAIK, the TiVo has no responsibilities in the OTA case other than deliver then entire signal to the TV. It's not doing the superimposing of the sub-channel itself. Thus a recording will be of the entire signal and will include the EAS.

Note that if the broadcaster replaces the entire signal, then it's probable that a cable franchise's re-transmission of that signal will include the EAS info. But it's not the TiVo doing it.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Standby kills the HDMI output .

This is handy if you have your TiVO connected to an auto-sensing HDMI switch; it will automatically select the TiVO when you press the TiVO button and switch to other sources when you place it in standby.
I use to use an auto-sensing switch with TiVo on all the time. It still worked fine because when I turned something else on it would switch to it and when I turned that device off it would switch back to the TiVo. The only time it's an issue is if you have more then one device that's on all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If you're sure that's how it works, I'll take your word for it, but it makes no sense to me. Surely the TiVo is aware of an emergency alert only if it's sent from a station to which one of the tuners is already tuned. But don't EAS alerts come in on some kind of data subchannel, like closed captions? If so, then ideally the alert should be superimposed onto the video being sent to the output ports (HDMI, etc) without being recorded to disk at all. OTOH, if the TV station superimposed the alert onto the program video, then TiVo really wouldn't have any choice, and the alert would be recorded unavoidably. I'm OTA only, in case that makes a difference.
As CrispyCritter said with OTA standby isn't going to matter one way or the other. The way OTA gets an EAS is from the broadcaster superimposing the signal directly into it's broadcast. The standby trick only works with cable because with cable the TiVo is forced to tune a station sent to it via an OOB signal. If all tuners are busy then that tune interrupts a recording. In both cases if the broadcaster superimposes the EAS into their signal then there is nothing TiVo can do, standby or not.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote