TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #121
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Was there dialog to that effect?
Because I don't recall hearing any.

Otherwise, I have to agree with Doug that it was stupid.
Since that thought has been on my mind, I kept wondering why they didn't even think about sending some people to the surface.

You could have even kept the sacrifice theme even though I'd take probable death over certain death.
I can't remember specifically, but it seems to me there was something to that effect in the pilot... like they were x months away from it.

But I'm just offering explanations/rationalizations for the nitpicks, whether they were offered by the the show or not.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #122
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
There's reasonable explanations for all your nitpicks.

They don't have dropsies ready.
Even prison cells now have barred windows. (At least TV ones do)
Stationary orbit.
What else are you supposed to do in a holding cel with one window with a spectacular view? Stare out where your daughter you miss horribly is.
But the whole point of sending the 100 kids down was to find out if it was habitable or not, because that was their answer to their environmental problem, to which, because they didn't have a definitive "it's-survivable," they had to kill another 300-ish people.

Even if it took a bit more time to ready a "dropsie," they did have over 100 more volunteers to die; I suspect if it were volunteering to potentially live on the surface, there could even have been more.

But if you're sending 100 people down (secretly or not), in the hopes you'll discover you can send more, and you know it takes time to ready additional dropsies, then certainly you'd start readying the dropsies as soon as you could do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #123
aaronw

So I'm just an episode and 1/3 in, but there are some things that just don't make sense. Why don't these magic wristbands (which they made from scratch) have radiation monitors on them? How do these kids (of which it's been 100 years since anyone lived on earth) that are living in 'marginally capable orbiting space stations' have time to learn about Apache indians? None of them have ever seen a real deer, so why would the mutated deer be that odd? Nobody has had go to camping for 100 years, and any of that knowledge would be 3 generations old. I mean, if nobody has had to pitch a tent in the entire time between today and world war I, that knowledge would get lost. How would they know what rain is? Although I suppose the space station would have to self-sustainable via agriculture/recycling of water, so maybe it could rain in a small area.
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #124
Peter000

FTR, I'm not going to go on debating what obviously has a simple explanation. If you want to let the inconsistency go on to drive you crazy, go ahead.

The radiation detector in the wristbands is a good point though. If even they build it into a couple of them they'd know it wasn't radioactive down there. But, there could be more stuff besides radiation down there that's a killer. Like maybe a virus, or other inhospitable conditions.

And I didn't intend to use the word "dropsies," It was a typo. DAMN iOS KEYBOARD!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #125
squint

Well, if this show made any sense they would have sent probes down there to monitor the earth the past few decades.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #126
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I can't remember specifically, but it seems to me there was something to that effect in the pilot... like they were x months away from it.

But I'm just offering explanations/rationalizations for the nitpicks, whether they were offered by the the show or not.
I'm pretty sure that was the whole bit about how it would take 6 months to fix the air recyclers and they only had three months worth of air left.

I don't think that "they could have sent those people to the surface instead of suffocating them" thing is a nitpick.

I realize that the writers wanted to do the whole "noble humans who sacrifice their lives for others" and there were hard choices to make but like Bays and Thomas of HIMYM, they missed that that the story wasn't set up properly to support that goal.

Not when you consider I spent half the episode saying, "What about sending them to the surface".

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #127
Howie
Out of Pocket

I saw the renegade Amish girl from Banshee on some mainstream network program the other night. I mean ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox. I just can't remember right now. TV overload.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #128
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I don't think that "they could have sent those people to the surface instead of suffocating them" thing is a nitpick.... [snip]

Not when you consider I spent half the episode saying, "What about sending them to the surface".
See, YOU spend half the episode saying that. I didn't. I spent 5 seconds asking myself that and rationalizing that they couldn't get dropsies ready in time. And I was fine.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #129
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I saw the renegade Amish girl from Banshee on some mainstream network program the other night. I mean ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox. I just can't remember right now. TV overload.
I think it was Hawaii 5-0.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #130
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
FTR, I'm not going to go on debating what obviously has a simple explanation. If you want to let the inconsistency go on to drive you crazy, go ahead.
Wait, you're debating?

No, wait, I don't think it's even close to driving anyone crazy. It started stupid. Nobody expected it to improve. This is just trying to make the best of all that stupid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #131
Peter000

You're not debating? Why are you still posting telling me everything I'm saying is wrong, then?

I'll tell you one person it's driving crazy. ME.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #132
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You're not debating? Why are you still posting telling me everything I'm saying is wrong, then?

I'll tell you one person it's driving crazy. ME.
Technically you're the one who posted that everything I said is wrong. I'm simply discussing further the points you attempted to make. (I was sort of just ignoring the "stationary orbit" one as that's pretty much exactly the same sort of non-science we've seen so far on this show. )

Old 04-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #133
cheesesteak
Meh.

If this show made any sense, they would have sent 100 volunteers who had skills and were responsible human beings to Earth, not 100 a-holes. But it's a tv show. I try not to let illogical things bother me too much or I'd be down to watching about three shows per week.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #134
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
If this show made any sense, they would have sent 100 volunteers who had skills and were responsible human beings to Earth, not 100 a-holes.
IIRC, they didn't know the Earth was habitable yet (how they didn't know that is another question). They sent the convicts because they thought they were possibly/probably going to be fried by radiation anyway, so why send anybody valuable?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #135
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
IIRC, they didn't know the Earth was habitable yet (how they didn't know that is another question). They sent the convicts because they thought they were possibly/probably going to be fried by radiation anyway, so why send anybody valuable?
I get that but they just got 300 people to sacrifice their lives simply by telling people the truth. Following that logic, if they had done that before sending 100 Lord Of The Flies juvenile delinquents to Earth they probably would have been able to round up 100 better candidates than they did.

Now that I think of it, all of the 100 prisoners were kids. Are there no adult prisoners? Why not kill however adult prisoners there are and save some fraction of the 300 good people who died?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #136
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Now that I think of it, all of the 100 prisoners were kids. Are there no adult prisoners? Why not kill however adult prisoners there are and save some fraction of the 300 good people who died?
Adult criminals get spaced.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #137
Peter000

Quote:
I get that but they just got 300 people to sacrifice their lives simply by telling people the truth. Following that logic, if they had done that before sending 100 Lord Of The Flies juvenile delinquents to Earth they probably would have been able to round up 100 better candidates than they did.

Hindsight is 20/20. That was one of the points made in this episode is that the powers that be assumed people would freak out about the problems rather than self-sacrifice.

And there are no adult prisoners. It's capital punishment for any crime for anyone 18 and over, and they're floated.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #138
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
See, YOU spend half the episode saying that. I didn't. I spent 5 seconds asking myself that and rationalizing that they couldn't get dropsies ready in time. And I was fine.
Of course I do.
Because they've already told us that the drop ships exist and they've already used one to send "The 100" to the surface.
They obviously have to have more if they are thinking of moving the rest of the population to the surface.

When dealing with something this big, a writer damn well better tell us why there are no other options otherwise our main characters will look like idiots.
It cheapens the drama that the writers have set up and what could have had a huge impact ends up looking kind of silly.

With the way the writers set this up, after the people died, I fully expected Alessandro Juliani to say to the Chancellor, "Say, why didn't we send those people down on the drop ships we still happen to have over there?"

And then the Chancellor would look like Sheldon did when Amy ruined Raiders for him.

It's not a nitpick.
It's a plot hole big enough to drive the Enterprise through.

It doesn't drive me crazy.
It does cause me to do a lot of eye rolling though.

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung : 04-19-2014 at 01:53 PM.
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #139
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Thanks to Indie's rant thread, I started watching this show last night. I'm 2 episodes in and enjoying it.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #140
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Adult criminals get spaced.
You mean floated....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #141
stellie93

I loved that they still said someone would get floated when the kids threatened to kill them on earth.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #142
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I loved that they still said someone would get floated when the kids threatened to kill them on earth.
Kind of like dialing a phone number.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #143
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Kind of like dialing a phone number.
Hey...some of us old farts still have rotisseries....

XL4
Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #144
vertigo235

The 100 - Pilot (who are we kidding - full-season thread). Spoilers okay.

You mean a rotary? Or were you really referring to a device used to cook chickens and the like? Cause those are still around

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #145
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
You mean a rotary? Or were you really referring to a device used to cook chickens and the like? Cause those are still around
NEW! From RONCO! It COOKS CHICKENS! It DIALS PHONE NUMBERS!

It's the amazing ROTISSARY!

And you can have it now for the AMAZING LOW PRICE of $19.99!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #146
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
NEW! From RONCO! It COOKS CHICKENS! It DIALS PHONE NUMBERS!

It's the amazing ROTISSARY!

And you can have it now for the AMAZING LOW PRICE of $19.99!
I'll take two...

XL4
Old 04-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #147
cheesesteak
Meh.

Will somebody please kill Bellamy soon?

I was hoping the grounder would break out a Cockney accent when Octavia was trying to talk to him.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #148
aaronw

Catching up via thecw.com online ... how in the world can they hide octavia for 13(?) years in their room and then one day 'hey, let's go to this party!'
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #149
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Will somebody please kill Bellamy soon?
Two months later and I'm still hoping somebody kills Bellamy.

I definitely wasn't expecting the Mountain Men to be US troops.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #150
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I definitely wasn't expecting the Mountain Men to be US troops.
Yeah, that was the best kind of twist...complete surprise, but obvious once you think about it. I even wondered earlier in the episode how the Grounders adapted their tactics so quickly and well to deal with military-grade weapons, but I guess it wasn't so "quickly" after all!

It was nice seeing the look on Dollhouse's face when she saw the charred remains of just about everybody she's ever known, and FINALLY realized that taking on people who can survive a century in space, even their children, is maybe not the best career move.