TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #31
mm2margaret
Meagan

So, my opinion is the show has promise. But it could easily descend into nonsense. Some of the criticisms I've read so far are relevant but not necessarily deal breakers.

If, some of those excesses aren't corrected, or are allowed to grow, the show could end up being just another apocalyptic sci-fi pos.

But, for now, I'll keep the SP for a while.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #32
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Yeah, these days I will never abandon a show after one episode, because they no longer use pilots as pilots...that is, a proof-of-concept that will be reshot as necessary to bring it in line with what the actual series will be. These days, they usually just air it as shot and then make their adjustments in later episodes. I have to see at least the second episode, which is the first shot as part of the series order, to feel that I am making an informed decision.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #33
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
I liked it for the most part, although the kids aren't that bright. "Yeah, you five guys hike 20 miles away, then another 20 miles back with enough food for 100 people while we sit around a bonfire doing whatever we want." Um, no. I'm going to go where the food is and staying put. You want to eat, come with. Otherwise, stay there and starve.
Yeah seriously. "Um, you guys do what you want. I'm going to get hungry, so I'm heading towards the food now. See you if/when I see you..."

Anyway, watched the first episode and decided it's not for me.
(Was amused by the guy floating around in freefall after the capsule had hit the atmosphere; where it would be decelerating )
Old 03-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #34
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Yeah seriously. "Um, you guys do what you want. I'm going to get hungry, so I'm heading towards the food now. See you if/when I see you..."
I suppose if you want to make excuses, they've lived their entire lives in an environment where food is something that is brought to you, shelter is something that is provided for you, etc. So their complete inability to deal with reality could be simply the result of never having had to deal with reality before.

I doubt the show is that clever, but as I said, I'm waiting to see how the next couple episodes unfold (or unravel) before I make my judgement.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #35
Numb And Number2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
they've lived their entire lives in an environment where food is something that is brought to you, shelter is something that is provided for you, etc. So their complete inability to deal with reality..
Um.
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #36
n548gxg

Watched it last night.

I just could not get over the fact that this space station had 100 juvenile delinquents and they had a huge prison on the space station.

How big is this space station? How many people live on it? Were this questions answered and I just missed it?

Totally unbelievable. However, I will suspend belief and watch tonight's episode.

Also, I recognized the actor who played the teenager with the goggles but I just could not figure out from where. He was the older brother on the 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' movie series.
n548gxg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #37
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n548gxg View Post
Watched it last night.

I just could not get over the fact that this space station had 100 juvenile delinquents and they had a huge prison on the space station.
Apparently, they have a zero tolerance policy for just about everything. Just being a teenager seems like enough to get a Go Straight To Jail card in this universe. I'm surprised anybody makes it past puberty before being thrown out an airlock.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #38
mr.unnatural

I found the show to be both entertaining and intriguing, even if not entirely realistic. This is TV so if you want it to be believable then stick with documentaries. Are there holes in the plot? Absolutely, but then just about every show on TV has plot holes big enough to drive a tank through it. Just watch a single season of 24 and tell me how believeable that is. It's certainly not going to stop anyone from watching it.

It's an interesting twist on the post-apocalyptic world scenario, sort of like the original Planet of the Apes. The world changed, but the population from the space station wasn't there to change along with it or witness what took place in their absence. The life forms left on the planet following the nuclear holocaust will no doubt have mutated into all sorts of nastiness, which leaves the doors open for all sorts of things to come (mutant Bambi was a nice touch).

I'm sure the original 100 will definitely dwindle down to a handful of Abercrombie & Fitch teenagers as the show progresses. I must admit that I was disappointed that the river snake didn't cough up half a corpse instead of a few superficial scratches and scrapes. They could have at least sacrificed one of the A-hole juvenile delinquents for our amusement like they did with John Voight in Anaconda where he gets swallowed by the big snake.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #39
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Watched it last night.

How big is this space station? How many people live on it? Were this questions answered and I just missed it?
I thought they said several national space stations from before the Global Nuclear War had been interconnected and population was circa 1200 in the intro sequence. However, I wasn't exactly riveted.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #40
IDSmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
I thought they said several national space stations from before the Global Nuclear War had been interconnected and population was circa 1200 in the intro sequence. However, I wasn't exactly riveted.
I heard them say that 12 (or maybe it was 14) individual nations had their own space stations at the time of the war, and afterwards all 12 (or 14) space stations were combined.

I didn't hear them provide a total population figure though.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #41
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDSmoker View Post
I heard them say that 12 (or maybe it was 14) individual nations had their own space stations at the time of the war, and afterwards all 12 (or 14) space stations were combined.
Some of which were basically small cities.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #42
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'd like to see this as a limited run series or movie with a planned beginning middle and end. (And without Jaden smith)
Old 03-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #43
n548gxg

I have mixed emotions about this series. I like the kids on Earth part but hate the adults on the space station.

It would be a whole lot better if they launch the kids to Earth and then the space station ran out of air or exploded ( like Superman and Krypton).
n548gxg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #44
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I have mixed emotions about this series. I like the kids on Earth part but hate the adults on the space station.

It would be a whole lot better if they launch the kids to Earth and then the space station ran out of air or exploded ( like Superman and Krypton).
I think the show would burn out quickly if we didn't have a balance of the adults on the station with the punks on earth....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #45
Balzer

Thumbs down

I thought the pilot was a big pile of crap. At least everything on Earth was.. The stuff aboard the space station was mildly interesting..

So I might give a couple more episodes to be sure..

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #46
stellie93

So do they have the capability of sending large numbers of people to earth or not? Why would they kill 210 people on the station rather than giving them whatever chance they have on the planet? And if they can't eventually send everyone to earth--they're done anyway.

Problems aside, I like this show.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #47
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Why would they kill 210 people on the station rather than giving them whatever chance they have on the planet?
Because the writers are clueless? Far too many Hollywood writers who write for SF shows brag about not having an SF reading background. They say they'll "avoid cliches" and "bring a fresh take". If you don't have the reading background, how do you recognize the standard tropes?
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #48
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Because the writers are clueless? Far too many Hollywood writers who write for SF shows brag about not having an SF reading background. They say they'll "avoid cliches" and "bring a fresh take". If you don't have the reading background, how do you recognize the standard tropes?
Perhaps we need to create a Trope-a-day calendar just for Hollywood/Network writers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #49
mm2margaret
Meagan

So, I think the femaie lead is quite strong (Eliza Taylor), the males, uhh, not so much, but it's all about material: the writing and the showrunner.

A good showrunner can make a bad show quite good, a bad one (I'm thinking of you "Intelligence") can make a show with talent seem clueless and can kill a show.

We need more time to see if the showrunner can pull this off.

Let me give you a for instance: they dump the kids on the planet with no communications - they have no way to communicate with them, except the tracking devices. EXCEPT, if the tracking devices work, chances are some kind of communicator could also work. A good showrunner can fix/adjust/adapt to that kind of inconsistency, and a bad one, just ignores it, thinking we're all stupid, don't care, or won't notice.

I recall reading an interview with Vince Gilligan who was the showrunner for Breaking Bad (and a fantastic writer), who commented that there were a number of times that the writers thought they had backed themselves into a corner they could not write themselves out of - and yet, we all know how that turned out.

Last edited by mm2margaret : 03-27-2014 at 08:31 PM.
mm2margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #50
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
So do they have the capability of sending large numbers of people to earth or not? Why would they kill 210 people on the station rather than giving them whatever chance they have on the planet? And if they can't eventually send everyone to earth--they're done anyway.

Problems aside, I like this show.
Not clear they do. Did you see the heap of junk the lady doctor (or scientist) is planning to use to get to earth? And the last ship worked so well!

Your question is a good one. But it is not obvious they have the ability to send more groups to earth, although the 100 experiment must be to test whether they would survive if they got there. Perhaps they lack a solid plan
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #51
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Not clear they do. Did you see the heap of junk the lady doctor (or scientist) is planning to use to get to earth? And the last ship worked so well!

Your question is a good one. But it is not obvious they have the ability to send more groups to earth, although the 100 experiment must be to test whether they would survive if they got there. Perhaps they lack a solid plan
The writers probably think they can just land the space station
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #52
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
The problem is, they'll run out of air in a matter of months...how many months depending on how many people they're willing to kill in the meantime. So if they don't go down to Earth, and relatively soon, they die anyway.

I'm really not sure they (the writers) have thought this through...
Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #53
danterner
Not it!

It seems they could establish at least one-way communication (kids to station) - one kid just has to regulate something that the band monitors, like body temp, in a morse-code rhythm - jump in cold water, warm up, etc - in a recognizable pattern. The more I type the more stupid this sounds, so I'll stop now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #54
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
The problem is, they'll run out of air in a matter of months...how many months depending on how many people they're willing to kill in the meantime. So if they don't go down to Earth, and relatively soon, they die anyway.

I'm really not sure they (the writers) have thought this through...
The Council will come up with a compromise in that instead of killing those slated to be culled, they'll send them to the surface.

Or does that make too much sense?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #55
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
It seems they could establish at least one-way communication (kids to station) - one kid just has to regulate something that the band monitors, like body temp, in a morse-code rhythm - jump in cold water, warm up, etc - in a recognizable pattern. The more I type the more stupid this sounds, so I'll stop now.
I was just going to say it was kind of a cool idea (no pun intended) but how long would it take the station to get the pattern? that would be neat in itself.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #56
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense is why the sent them down with NO COMMUNICATION DEVICES (other than the stupid wrist bands). Couldn't they have spared a two way radio or something? Nothing fancy.

Did I just miss them being destroyed or something?
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:42 AM   #57
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The Council will come up with a compromise in that instead of killing those slated to be culled, they'll send them to the surface.

Or does that make too much sense?
But they don't seem to have a way of getting to the surface...otherwise, Boss Lady wouldn't be risking a 130-year-old capsule renovated by a kid.

They've never explained how they plan on getting anybody else to the surface.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:11 AM   #58
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
They've never explained how they plan on getting anybody else to the surface.
Considering there have only been two episodes so far, I'm cutting the show some slack on that one. Presumably they do have a Plan. Somehow earth got all those people onto the stations (in the midst of nuclear Armageddon, no less) so all they need to do is reverse the process. Should be simple. ;-) Or did I misunderstand, and these are the descendants of astronauts, who already happened to be on their stations when hell broke loose below?

Also, now that I think about it - are we just seeing the American section of the station, or is everyone on the station American (even people who are supposed to be Scottish)?
| Twitter:

Last edited by danterner : 03-28-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #59
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is why the sent them down with NO COMMUNICATION DEVICES (other than the stupid wrist bands). Couldn't they have spared a two way radio or something? Nothing fancy. Did I just miss them being destroyed or something?
There was a line of dialog in the pilot episode about everything having gone dark during re-entry. They were expecting to have communication but lost it, leaving the bands as their only means of monitoring.
| Twitter:
Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #60
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense is why the sent them down with NO COMMUNICATION DEVICES (other than the stupid wrist bands). Couldn't they have spared a two way radio or something? Nothing fancy.

Did I just miss them being destroyed or something?
I assumed they were going to use the lander for two-way communication but since that got destroyed by those kids who thought it cool to get out of their seats they lost that.
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote