TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
SenorFrog21

Two Roamio / Stream Questions

I had been using a 4-tuner Tivo issued by my cable company (Called the "Q", but I think it was just a Premiere) with a retail Stream. I was generally happy with it, but at least 4 times a week when I would try to move shows to my iPad, I would have to go through the Stream Setup in the iPad app, as they had lost their connection.

I now have a Roamio Pro, and I was hoping that issue would be gone, but it isn't. Probably every other day when I go to move shows before leaving for work, I have to redo the setup. It only takes 10 seconds or so, but I'm just curious if that is something that happens to everyone, or is it only a problem for me?

Second, I found I got much better transfer speeds when I was using the retail Stream versus the one that is built in to the Roamio. Since I still have the retail Stream just sitting in the box now, I was wondering if I could connect that to the Roamio and turn of the internal Stream functionality? Has anybody done this?
SenorFrog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
tatergator1

I've had to repeat Streaming Setup a few times, and I don't use it very often. Others have also reported having to randomly re-do setup. Tivo streaming is not a mature technology and this is probably just a symptom of that.

As for speeds of the internal versus standalone stream, I don't know that anyone has tested it significantly, but I do seem to recall references to the internal being slower. As you know, the standalone has a built-in cooling fan that can get pretty noisy at times. The internal stream only has the general cooling fan for the entire Roamio. I would speculate Tivo may have deliberately throttled the internal Stream's transcoding speed to control heat.

There's no disabling the internal stream, that I'm aware of, but I think two can exist on the same network and you might be able to choose which Stream you want to use during the iOS app Streaming Setup.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
djev

I have had to go through the setup quite often when using my iPhone or iPad, at least it's pretty painless. I have both in my setup, an internal (actually 2 with 2 Roamios) and an external, they all work.
djev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
SenorFrog21

Thank you for your responses. When I first got my retail Stream last year, I found I was constantly having to redo the setup, and then eventually I started having problems actually moving shows to the iPad altogether. Then finally once day, the Stream overheated and died. It was already out of warranty (only 90 days!), so I had to get a new one, which had the same problem with having to constantly redoing the setup. I'm just worried that there's some sort of defect that is ultimately going to fry my Tivo. I feel better hearing that it's a common issue, which makes me feel that my overheating problem was probably just a fluke.
SenorFrog21 is offline   Reply With Quote