TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
dougdingle
HD Tech

Question Roamio Plus Wish List does nothing

I've got several wishlist items that have produced no results in months, and yesterday I happened to be flipping through the guide and noticed a movie on my wishlist about to play on one of the channels I get, and the Roamio Plus had done nothing about that. I recorded it manually.

Then I started to look more carefully, and several of my wishlist items have shows upcoming, and not one of them is set to record.

On my old Series3 OLED boxes, wish lists worked great. On the Roamio Plus, not so much.

Is there some setting I'm missing, or some magic incantation that needs doing to make those things work? They're in my To Do list, they just don't trigger any actions.

I mean really, even someone like me can't misspell the title "Argo"...I see it in the guide, it's on a wishlist, the Roamio won't set it to record .

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Well, are your wishlists all set up to record? They are also used to group recordings and not capture new ones. In the past you had to make sure you picked an auto-record wishlist...

Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
I've got several wishlist items that have produced no results in months, and yesterday I happened to be flipping through the guide and noticed a movie on my wishlist about to play on one of the channels I get, and the Roamio Plus had done nothing about that. I recorded it manually.

Then I started to look more carefully, and several of my wishlist items have shows upcoming, and not one of them is set to record.

On my old Series3 OLED boxes, wish lists worked great. On the Roamio Plus, not so much.

Is there some setting I'm missing, or some magic incantation that needs doing to make those things work? They're in my To Do list, they just don't trigger any actions.

I mean really, even someone like me can't misspell the title "Argo"...I see it in the guide, it's on a wishlist, the Roamio won't set it to record .
How far out was the item? I have noticed that wishlist items will often first crop up on my todo list just a few days out. These are usually actor wishlists; I think it does better on titles, but I'm not sure.

UCLABB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Well, are your wishlists all set up to record? They are also used to group recordings and not capture new ones. In the past you had to make sure you picked an auto-record wishlist...
They appear in my Season Passes listings. I don't know how else to check for what you're saying.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
How far out was the item? I have noticed that wishlist items will often first crop up on my todo list just a few days out. These are usually actor wishlists; I think it does better on titles, but I'm not sure.
The first item I noticed in the guide that was on a wishlist was an hour out.

Others have been a couple of days out. None are marked for recording in the ToDo list. They all appear in the OnePass list.

If this is working for others, I'm clearly doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it is.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Auto-Record is set to 'on' on wishlist items, if that's what you mean.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Auto-Record is set to 'on' on wishlist items, if that's what you mean.
What about the other recording options? Is it set to "New Only", etc?

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
What about the other recording options? Is it set to "New Only", etc?
I have 'auto record', 'record all', and 'HD only' set in the wishlists.

Here's an example of how it's not working for me:

I have the movie "Argo" in a wishlist. The box says there are no upcoming showings. But if I do a 'normal' search for Argo, it shows that it is in the guide for Thursday the 13th on FX in HD.

I'd love to figure out how to fix whatever it is I'm doing incorrectly.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
pig_man

Is your provider Time Warner Cable? Did they change their line up so that the distinction between SD and HD channels was eliminated? If so, you may need to change the "HD only" to "HD if possible", since the HD channels don't exist anymore.

pig_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig_man View Post
Is your provider Time Warner Cable? Did they change their line up so that the distinction between SD and HD channels was eliminated? If so, you may need to change the "HD only" to "HD if possible", since the HD channels don't exist anymore.
Yes, I'm on TW. HD is being designated somewhere because the guide listing has a little "HD" superscript next to the name of the movie.

But I tried "HD if possible", and it sort of worked. It found Argo next week, but it put it in the ToDo list twice, both Thursday and Friday - didn't matter if I had "New" or "All" selected, it appeared there twice.

Also, because Time Warner really sucks in Los Angeles, I get one HBO HD channel (the other is just time shifted), and also only one HD channel on Encore. I only watch movies in HD, can no longer stand watching 480i SD movies. So it looks as if it's going to find and record all the SD versions of the movies I want, including duplicates.

Perhaps I'm still doing something wrong, but it sure seems a lot less friendly and useful to me than the same function on my Series 3.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #11
astrohip

First, Wishlists do work on Roamios, as I have about 50-60 of them, most ARWL, a few manual.

When you have a WL that doesn't seem to work, I try to keep removing qualifiers until I can get it to pop. For example, remove "HD only". Then try "All" instead of "New". Yada yada... until it works. Make sure if you have multiple choices (Booleans) they don't conflict or NAND/NOR each other.

And sometimes when you change a WL, it won't actually go out and grab the recording for a few minutes.

Good luck!

PS: Rarely does "HD Only" work as well as it should. Mainly because stations don't properly flag HD or not. I usually leave this off unless I am clear what I am looking for.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #12
ej42137

Quote:
Yes, I'm on TW. HD is being designated somewhere because the guide listing has a little "HD" superscript next to the name of the movie.

But I tried "HD if possible", and it sort of worked. It found Argo next week, but it put it in the ToDo list twice, both Thursday and Friday - didn't matter if I had "New" or "All" selected, it appeared there twice.

Also, because Time Warner really sucks in Los Angeles, I get one HBO HD channel (the other is just time shifted), and also only one HD channel on Encore. I only watch movies in HD, can no longer stand watching 480i SD movies. So it looks as if it's going to find and record all the SD versions of the movies I want, including duplicates.

Perhaps I'm still doing something wrong, but it sure seems a lot less friendly and useful to me than the same function on my Series 3.
Take off the "HD Only" requirement on your wishlist; for TWC the HD flag that this setting depends upon is not reliable. That flag is in the metadata, and it's different from the encoding that's used by the cable card or tuning adapter to actually show HD video.

I had the same problem in the past on an S3, for what it's worth. At one time we could count on the HD flag but no longer, possibly because of the automatic mapping of SD/HD channels that TWC is now doing.

ej42137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #13
dougdingle
HD Tech

All interesting points which I will try. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #14
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

HD Only is never reliable for ARWLs so first thing is to turn it off. Then the simple fix to only get HD is to remove all the SD channel dupes for your HDs, which can easily be done by sorting the guide by channel name then deleting the SD ones from the guide.

slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #15
rucheridee

Yes same here for webcasts. I noticed my old one passes for webcasts or podcasts no longer work. I had to go re-search for the videos and Tivo created a wish list that doesn't work. I have to do a Find manually each time to get to the video, then 2015 year shows and list episodes starting June 2015 when I know there were episodes from 2014. I just realized I lost those nice tech videos when someone asked me for my opinion & I didn't have one! Anyone know how to get some videos on the hotlist automatically recorded again?!?!

rucheridee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #16
jrtroo
User

It is no longer an automatic tivo feature.