TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
craftyfolk

.tivo to mpg win 8.1

This may not have come up as yet. Direct Show Dump worked on win 8.0 I just upgraded to win 8.1 and it no longer works. I tried to reinstall windows framework and win 8.1 would not install it. Any help would be appreciated.
craftyfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Reinstall TiVo Desktop?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
craftyfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Reinstall TiVo Desktop?
No, tivo desk top seems to be OK, I will check thoroughly & reinstall if necessary.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

If the files play in Windows Media Player then TiVo Desktop is installed properly. If they don't then ensure you entered your MAK correctly and try again.

What exactly is happening in DSD? Is it refusing to install? Or is it not working? IIRC it uses .net, and a pretty old version, so there could be some conflict there.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
craftyfolk

Tivo desktop works great, Windows Media Player will not play downloaded .tivo files. I have downloaded k-lite with no success. Direct Show Dump does not start in win 8.1. DSD worked fine in Win 8.0. Nothing happens, is there another program? Perhaps paid?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyfolk View Post
Tivo desktop works great, Windows Media Player will not play downloaded .tivo files.
Then, you need to reinstall TiVo Desktop.

WiMP and DSD both depend on DLLs from TD to work with .TiVo files. If they're not working, then presumably they're not finding the DLLs. Reinstalling TD is your best bet for putting them back where they should be.

Quote:
Nothing happens, is there another program?
Yes -- Tivodecode (and the various front-ends and other programs that depend on it) is the non-TD-dependent way to decode TiVo files. However, it's not yet fully compatible with the new-style, "fast mode" transport-stream .TiVo files.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Windows Media Player uses DirectShow for playback. As the name implies DirectShow Dump also uses DirectShow. So if you can't get the files to play in WMP then they wont work in DSD either.

If you want another point of reference you can download the trial of VideoReDo. We use the same DirectShow DLLs in VRD, but we don't depend on any other codecs like WMP so if it doesn't open in VRD then it's definitely a TiVo Desktop problem.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
craftyfolk

Thanks, I will try Video Re Do. I am fairly disgusted with windows 8.1 & MS in general.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
craftyfolk

I found Brorsoft TiVo Converter and this little program seems to work just fine. It is slower than Direct Show Dump but is more controllable.