TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Bigg

Different people's TiVos with MRV

I may end up with another roommate who also owns a TiVo, in his case a Roamio Plus or Pro.

How do we get them to do MRV? Do we have to move his TiVo to my account? Will that nuke his saved shows? On the other end, will separating them nuke the saved shows?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I may end up with another roommate who also owns a TiVo, in his case a Roamio Plus or Pro.

How do we get them to do MRV? Do we have to move his TiVo to my account? Will that nuke his saved shows? On the other end, will separating them nuke the saved shows?
They'll need to be using the same Media Access Key, or MAK, which means being on the same account.

I've bought used TiVos before and transferred them to my account, which means the MAK got changed, and have not lost the shows the previous owner recorded and left on the unit (in cases where they did not run a Clear and Delete Everything, forcing me to start with Guided Setup), but this has been on S2s and S3s, and I have no S4 or S5 experience, so I can't offer a guarantee, only an informed guess that it should probably still be that way.

Of course if they're recorded off of a cable company that sets the anti-copy bit on everything they legally can (which is everything except local broadcasts they re-transmit on their basic tier), then you can't copy them to PC or to another TiVo anyway, no matter who owns what.

(another reason I'm in no hurry to move from analog cable to digital)
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
bayern_fan

My suggestion would be to move both units to a 3rd account that you both share access too. If the units are both on lifetime service, this step would probably be easier as it wouldn't mess with any of the monthly service billing.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Use PC as a server

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
roommate who also owns a TiVo... how do we get them to do MRV?
If you want to keep your accounts separate, you can transfer programs from one TiVo to a PC using TiVo Desktop, pyTiVo, kmttg, or TiVoPlayList and then transfer those programs from the PC to the other TiVo. You could also use comskip or VideoReDo to strip out the commercials before transferring back to the TiVo.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I've bought used TiVos before and transferred them to my account, which means the MAK got changed, and have not lost the shows the previous owner recorded and left on the unit (in cases where they did not run a Clear and Delete Everything, forcing me to start with Guided Setup), but this has been on S2s and S3s, and I have no S4 or S5 experience, so I can't offer a guarantee, only an informed guess that it should probably still be that way.

Of course if they're recorded off of a cable company that sets the anti-copy bit on everything they legally can (which is everything except local broadcasts they re-transmit on their basic tier), then you can't copy them to PC or to another TiVo anyway, no matter who owns what.
HBO is the only thing that's tied to one box, and that's tied to hardware, even if the same person bought them, so two different people owning them doesn't really change anything.

If it keeps recordings when transferring on the Premieres and Roamios, then that's the simple answer. That wouldn't be hard at all. All units are Lifetime units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
My suggestion would be to move both units to a 3rd account that you both share access too. If the units are both on lifetime service, this step would probably be easier as it wouldn't mess with any of the monthly service billing.
I could just make the password on my account something that I don't use elsewhere and give it to my roommate(s), as it's needed for the mobile app as well. None of my roommates currently have the mobile app, but I offered to just log in on their phone if they want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
If you want to keep your accounts separate, you can transfer programs from one TiVo to a PC using TiVo Desktop, pyTiVo, kmttg, or TiVoPlayList and then transfer those programs from the PC to the other TiVo. You could also use comskip or VideoReDo to strip out the commercials before transferring back to the TiVo.
That's ridiculous. We need simple MRV. If the shows stay on the box when transferring accounts, we can just move his to my account for a year and then move it back after our lease ends and we go our various ways.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
mattack

You won't be able to download the ALREADY RECORDED shows after changing the account, right?

Aren't the programs encrypted with the MAK? That is, he will be able to watch them on the Tivo, but won't be able to transfer them anywhere (to another Tivo or a computer) after moving it to his account?

If I am wrong, which I very well may be, please correct me.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You won't be able to download the ALREADY RECORDED shows after changing the account, right?

Aren't the programs encrypted with the MAK? That is, he will be able to watch them on the Tivo, but won't be able to transfer them anywhere (to another Tivo or a computer) after moving it to his account?
I think it would work. The internal encryption on the TiVo uses something else like the TSN that's burned into the motherboard. AFAIK, the MAK itself isn't used as the encryption key until you download to a computer.

Shows downloaded before switching accounts would have to be decrypted using the old MAK, so write it down.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
unitron

I've got a 648 that had some shows left on it from the previous owner.

Since I transferred it to my account, the MAK has been changed since those shows were recorded.

I just copied a couple of Futuramas to PC from it via Desktop, and from the PC to a 649 where they play just fine.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I've got a 648 that had some shows left on it from the previous owner.

Since I transferred it to my account, the MAK has been changed since those shows were recorded.

I just copied a couple of Futuramas to PC from it via Desktop, and from the PC to a 649 where they play just fine.
Cool! Sounds like I'm good to go if we end up with multiple TiVos! I also found that the app today, after magically losing my login, can be paired on the same network with the MAK so that I didn't need to have my login and password, so roommates can do the same if they want the apps.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
I'm pretty sure that still only works if the two TiVos have the same MAK...

I thought you got an 'can't transfer' if you tried to download them to a TiVo with a non-matching MAK.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
They need the same MAK, unless the MAK is removed. Some of the methods listed by unitron, such as kmttg, can remove the MAK and other data so that it can be transferred to any tivo.
And Tivo decoder GUI is another easy to use program that can remove the Tivo data from existing recordings.

Last edited by scandia101 : 03-22-2014 at 12:18 AM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post

I thought you got an 'can't transfer' if you tried to download them to a TiVo with a non-matching MAK.
Hence, the same account. So if we end up in that situation, his will be moved to my account for a year, so that it has a matching MAK, and then he can move it back. When I upgrade a 4TB upgraded Roamio Pro in the future, I will probably give my Premiere and maybe a mini to my parents, at which point, mine will get transferred to my mom's account. Sounds like it should all work just fine.