TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Ironmike512

Will a tuner cause low signal strength?

I have 2 Premiers and 1 series 3 all running off an OTA antenna. No cable or satellite. Signal strength on 1 premier and the series 3 are perfect, in the 90's. On the other a Premier in my living room, signal strength on some channels is bouncing in the 40s and 50s which is almost unwatchable. They are all running off the same splitter. I have switched cable positions on the splitter and have also run a new cable just to make sure it wasn't a connection problem. Is it possible the tuner in the Premier might be going bad or is the cause of this issue? I have no idea what else to try, so I may just end up swapping units with the one that works. I really want all units to be functioning at 100% though. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ironmike512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

When I had a Premiere there were channels that were marginal like you describe while on the same distribution amp using similar length coax cables other tuners in my TV, two HDHomeruns, and an older Slingbox with an onboard tuner all got those channels.

Later I got a Roamio and it works great. I 'm doing all OTA also.

I had the impression the Roamio required a stronger signal to produce comparable results to other devices.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
mblloyd

Lesson from my last week:
Bad Comcast splitter
Bad right angle F type connectors

BTW- get rid of the slip-on F type adapters also.
mblloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #4
telemark

Yah, any component along the way including the final tuner could be a culprit in signal loss.

It would be hard to know that your tuner is worse that it's suppose to be unless you have 2 devices of the same type, or a signal you know for certainty is good.

When I having a recurrent antenna problem that seems unfixable, I'll resort to taking the equipment to the attic or roof, which helps me check the antenna aiming and the device sensitivity. After those two are locked down, I can figure out how much signal loss there is on the way, without second guessing what's broken.

In your case, it should be fastest to just switch the two premieres to see if the problem stays with the box or stays with the location.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
Ironmike512

Update. I brought my other box downstairs and it works fine. It's not the cabling. The signal strength is low even when it's in another location with different cables and connectors. Bad news for me, I guess
Old 03-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike512 View Post
Update. I brought my other box downstairs and it works fine. It's not the cabling. The signal strength is low even when it's in another location with different cables and connectors. Bad news for me, I guess
When I had this issue with a Premiere replacing a splitter with a distribution amplifier made it better.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
meadota

I experience a similar problem. I have a Premiere used for OTA that has a faulty tuner #1.

With a season pass to record the 11:00 PM news on both channels 5.1 and 9.1 every night, channel 5 ALWAYS takes tuner 0 and channel 9 is ALWAYS left with tuner 1. Numerical order I suspect.

My work-around, IF I am there to watch live, is...I stop both recordings when I get the pixelization and change channel 9 to something else like 19, then I switch tuners to tuner 0 (channel 5) and change the channel to 9. Then I switch tuners again to tuner 1 and change the channel from 19 to 5. It's a real PITA but it works. If I'm not there to watch it live I'm screwed with an unwatchable recording from channel 9.

I'd like TiVo to replace my faulty tuner but I can't stomach the thought of trying to explain this to someone who only wants me to change everything else in the house first.
meadota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
telemark

for IronMike512, even though you know it's faulty now, it might be still usable in stronger locations or after putting in an amp. If I were in the situation (and couldn't get it repaired), I might leave it in the attic for unattended recordings and use TTG or MRV to get them off.

for meadota, you can get a computer to automate those channel juggling but why bother, get it fixed if you're implying you're under some Tivo warranty. Why does channel 5 work on the tuner that doesn't work with channel 9, btw?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Ironmike512

I have it in the bedroom now, but several channels are unwatchable, which would also make it un-recordable. I already have an inline amplifier which gets it up to signal I currently have. Right now, my series 3 is my main Tivo downstairs now, with near perfect signal strength.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
MacBrian

Is your problem Tivo location on an RG58 cable or and RG6? (It's usually printed in white on the cable itself). The lighter-weight RG58 or 59 cables aren't shielded as well. If you have the lighter-weight cables you may be picking up interference that is degrading your signal to Tivo's tuners. In my experience with antennas and my two Premieres, the RG6 yielded MUCH higher signal strength than the RG58. Here's a discussion on the two different cables. Or if you think it's a hardware problem and the Tivo is worth repairing (does it have a Lifetime sub?) it might be worth talking to Weaknees about repairing it? Otherwise, get a Roamio!
2011 Slingbox Solo
Series 2 Humax DRT800 (Still in use for VHS->DVD)
Series 1 Philips (Retired)

Last edited by MacBrian : 03-20-2014 at 05:21 PM.
MacBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
JoeKustra
Cable only

RG-58 is 50 ohm impedance. Only RG-6 or better at 72 ohm should be used. 50 ohm cables are normally used with HAM radio. An impedance mismatch could cause problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-59
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
meadota

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
for meadota, you can get a computer to automate those channel juggling but why bother, get it fixed if you're implying you're under some Tivo warranty. Why does channel 5 work on the tuner that doesn't work with channel 9, btw?
telemark: Good question, both 5 and 9 are coming from the same LOS tower (CN Tower in Toronto) and although my antenna is focused towards Buffalo in another direction, both 5 and 9 should be rock solid with nothing more than a paper clip. My TiVo is on lifetime service but about 2 months past warranty.

In any event, both tuners should (presumably) perform the same in the same box. If BOTH tuners acted the same with 9, I would assume antenna or wiring, but when only one acts up while the other doesn't indicates to me that something is wrong inside.

Perhaps you could you expand a bit on "you can get a computer to automate those channel juggling"?
meadota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
telemark

for meadota: Just meant, if you have a computer on the same network as the Tivo, you can run a script to push those series of buttons.

The 9 to 19 to 5 to 9 to 19 to 5 dance, part.

If you have a mac or linux machine, I could write it in 15 mins, but open a new thread, if you want it.