TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Dougmeister

Replacing hard drive on Series 3 using MFSLive Linux

I am following Ross Walker's instructions found here.

When I type:

Code:
 backup -qTao - /dev/sdb | restore -s 128 -xzpi - /dev/sda
I get the following error:

Code:
Backup: Unknown MSF partition device /dev/hdc2.
To attempt backup anyway, try again with -E. -s is implied by -E.
I am trying to fix a Series 3 for a friend. I am using the original drive my from Premiere (I upgraded it when I bought it a few years ago).

Do I need to format the "new" drive (the original drive from my Premiere) before I do the above command?

(Edit: the old drive appears to be ~250GB; the replacement drive is around 320GB)

(I have the drives hooked up differently; the NEW drive in my setup is the larger of the two and is sda)

I tried the '-E' command line option, but could not figure out the proper syntax.

I also tried:

Code:
backup -f 9999 qso - /dev/sdb | restore -s 128 -xzpi - /dev/sda
and got the same error.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by Dougmeister : 03-17-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Dougmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
GBL
covert opiniative

Premiere = Series 4, not compatible with Series 3.

What model is your friend's Series 3? TCD648 or TCD652, most likely.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Dougmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL View Post
Premiere = Series 4, not compatible with Series 3.

What model is your friend's Series 3? TCD648 or TCD652, most likely.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I realize that they are not compatible, but if i reformat the drive, it should be fine, right?

His is a TCD648.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougmeister View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I realize that they are not compatible, but if i reformat the drive, it should be fine, right?

His is a TCD648.
Ok. Thanks for clarifying that.

It looks like the error relates to /dev/hdc, which is not your source drive (/dev/sdb), right?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Dougmeister

I guess so... that's the mystery, I guess.

It is a tower case. I have a boot SSD and 3 SATA drives in it. I disconnected them all and am booting off the SATA BluRay DVD burner (internal). The only other things hooked up should be the source and the target drives.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
GBL
covert opiniative

I'd recommend grabbing a fresh image and using that with winmfs instead of the failing hard drive. see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7#post10018227 for winmfs image.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Dougmeister

Thanks. Checking it out now.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Dougmeister

Ok. I downloaded the .tbk file.

How do I use it? Is it WinMFS only? I was really hoping to do this in Linux because I can't figure out which SATA drives to disconnect to run Windows, but I can if I need to...
Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Ok. I downloaded the .tbk file.

How do I use it? Is it WinMFS only? I was really hoping to do this in Linux because I can't figure out which SATA drives to disconnect to run Windows, but I can if I need to...
Do you have Windows installed on that PC?

If not, use the MFS Live cd v1.4

(I'll have to go refresh my memory on the particular options for the necessary commmands, but I've used it successfully before)

Does this machine have a GigaByte brand motherboard?

If so, special precautions need to be taken.

I don't recommend using that 320 from the Premiere for anything except keeping on a shelf in case you need to stick in back in the Premiere for troubleshooting, but it's your decision to make and not mine.

There's no reason I know of why it wouldn't work as a drive for a 648, and either WinMFS or the MFS Live cd should overwrite the Premiere software with no problem (and possibly no warning).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Dougmeister

I *do* have a Gigayte motherboard. What "special precautions"? I don't remember doing anything special the last two times (when I upgraded my own Series 3 which i have since sold, and the Premiere that I still have)...?

Since we are probably just going to give it to a friend, not sure we want to sink a lot of money into it (looks like a new drive is $70-$100). I'd really like to get this old Premiere 320GB drive working to see if they even like/use the TiVo...

Last edited by Dougmeister : 03-17-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I *do* have a Gigayte motherboard. What "special precautions"? I don't remember doing anything special the last two times (when I upgraded my own Series 3 which i have since sold, and the Premiere that I still have)...?

Since we are probably just going to give it to a friend, not sure we want to sink a lot of money into it (looks like a new drive is $70-$100). I'd really like to get this old Premiere 320GB drive working to see if they even like/use the TiVo...
I'm not sure how far back they started doing it, probably around 10 or more years ago, but GigaByte boards put a Host Protected Area on what they consider the "first" hard drive.

Start reading my exchange with fealdeals here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0#post10038830

for more info, but the short version is whatever you had hooked up to SATA port 0 almost certainly already has an HPA on it, and so you need to leave that hooked there to keep it from trying to create one on any other drives you hook up.

Unless that motherboard also does IDE/PATA, in which case it probably starts looking for a target on the Primary Master PATA drive.

You can use

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/648250b.bak

with the MFS Live cd v1.4

and you can use

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/648250b.tbk

with WinMFS running on Windows XP SP3 or newer (Vista, 7) running as admin

If you want to use the Live cd let me know and I'll refresh my memory on exactly what to put on the command line.

(suggest you disregard the Walker instructions)

With either one, you should do the expansion as a separate step with

mfsadd

instead of as part of the restore process.

Is anything wrong with the original 250GB drive?

Old 03-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #12
Dougmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is anything wrong with the original 250GB drive?

Yes. It locks on the "Almost there..." screen (or whatever it actually says).

I left the SSD hooked up and Windows 7 booted just fine. I shut it down, connected the "bad" 250GB drive and the original 320GB from my Premier and fired up WinMFS. It didn't see either drive. Not sure what's going on with that.

I remember it being a heck of a lot easier when I was cloning/expanding a healthy Tivo drive to a larger, brand-new, clean hard drive.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:

I left the SSD hooked up and Windows 7 booted just fine. I shut it down, connected the "bad" 250GB drive and the original 320GB from my Premier and fired up WinMFS. It didn't see either drive. Not sure what's going on with that.
Right click on the WinMFS.exe file and select "Run as Administrator".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Dougmeister

I did as you suggested and could see both drives. It gave me some error on the new drive, so I formatted it (NTFS) and it didn't show up again. In disk manager, I deleted the partition and left it as unallocated, and it showed up again.

Then I get the same error as before:

"Error number: 9
Error message warning!
Your A drive is married to B drive but only A drive is selected."

I think that my buddy had an external eSATA drive hooked up to this unit?

If so, can I use WinMFS like this or do I have to download a static image?

Last edited by Dougmeister : 03-18-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
I did as you suggested and could see both drives. It gave me some error on the new drive, so I formatted it (NTFS) and it didn't show up again. In disk manager, I deleted the partition and left it as unallocated, and it showed up again.

Then I get the same error as before:

"Error number: 9
Error message warning!
Your A drive is married to B drive but only A drive is selected."

I think that my buddy had an external eSATA drive hooked up to this unit?

If so, can I use WinMFS like this or do I have to download a static image?
Go ahead and use one of the images I gave you links for (if you're using WinMFS, use the .tbk one) and leave the original 250GB drive out of things.

But first, go read my exchange with fealdeals and learn how to boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4 and run

hdparm -N /dev/sd"x"

where "x" is like a, b, c, or d, depending on which drive is hooked where.

sda

should be your ssd with Windows 7 on it and it should show an HPA.

You want to leave it hooked up to your lowest numbered SATA port so that the board sees it as the "first" drive and sees the HPA on it at boot time and doesn't put an HPA on any other drives, especially if you're doing any kind of raid with them.

If any of your other drives have an HPA we can worry about that later, but we need to make sure the 320GB drive from the Premiere does not, and undo it if it does, and remember, since it's not a 1TB drive, the LBA numbers won't be the same as in the instructions I wrote out for fealdeals.

Then when you make sure that the 320 has no HPA, you can write zeros to the whole thing, wiping out any formatting done by Windows or TiVo with

dd_rescue -v /dev/zero /dev/sd"x"

and make absolutely certain you substitute the correct letter for "x" (without the quote marks) so that it's the 320 that's getting erased and not anything else.

hdparm -I /dev/sd"x"

where "x" is like a, b, c, or d, depending on which drive is hooked where should show you brand, model number, and serial number so that you can be sure which drive is which /dev/sd? wise.

Once you're ready, boot into Windows, launch WinMFS, click Select under File, select the 320, then click Restore and point it to wherever you've got the .tbk file copied to.

If it offers you a choice, you DO want the optimized partition layout.

(only turn it down if restoring a Series 1)

When it finishes restoring it'll mention the extra space and offer to expand.

Tell it no.

Then click on

mfsinfo

under File and make sure everything looks okay, including an Apple Free partition on the end of the drive.

Then click on

mfsadd

to do the expansion.