TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Cloned drive?

Has anyone cloned their Roamio drive for the sake of backing up the drive so that it can be reimaged back to the same exact model drive should the orginal drive go bad? Clonzilla comes to mind as I have used that to copy complete drives but shouldn't that work as long as it's a sector copy image instead of a cloning application attempting to read the partitions?

The down side of such in theory is that if making a exact sector based drive backup, it could take 3Tb of storage to save a 3Tb Roamio drive unless compression can be used?

I recently used Clonzilla to backup a laptop drive as I needed to reload the OS and didn't want to lose the factory OEM restore partition which worked perfectly as the restored image and it some how though, it expanded the primary OS partition to the full capacity of the new drive (old drive was 500gb and the new drive was 1tb), I anticipated I would expand the main Win 7 partion which originally was just a little over 420gb to what was available on the new 1tb drive but apparently Clonzilla read the ntfs partions and did the expansion automatically when it wrote the image.

I digress in describing my laptop drive success however it lead me to believe that while Clonzilla did a disk image backup, it wasn't technically a disk sector image backup but rather read the partition data and combined that into a whole disk image backup. IF Clonzilla isn't a disk sector backup solution, does anyone have an idea of what I might try to do this?

Ideas?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Time_Lord

I don't see any reason you couldn't do a sector by sector backup and restore the image to a drive of equal or greater (<= 3TB) size, unix "dd" comes to mind.

Can you compress the image? you can try however your videos are already compressed so the only thing that will compress would be any blank space (deleted files usually do not mean blank space) and maybe some of the system files.

Keep in mind that the only thing you would gain by doing a disk backup on the TiVo would be to duplicate your recordings, the Roamio is capable of rebuilding itself automatically when a blank disk is installed into the unit.

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

Have you looked in to DvrBARS, Dvr Backup And Restore Software for Windows?

This might accomplish what you are trying to do.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
Keep in mind that the only thing you would gain by doing a disk backup on the TiVo would be to duplicate your recordings, the Roamio is capable of rebuilding itself automatically when a blank disk is installed into the unit.
QFT.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Have you looked in to DvrBARS, Dvr Backup And Restore Software for Windows?

This might accomplish what you are trying to do.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261
Unfortunately, DvrBARS doesn't speak "Roamio" and it's limited to 2TB drives by the VHD file format that it uses. When I wrote it less than a year ago Roamios didn't exist and it was impossible to build a Premiere over 2TB.

I'm working on a new project to copy and expand any TiVo up to its inherent limits, but for now dd or ddrescue would be your best bet.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote