TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
jdubs

Series 3 Freezing

Hi,

Several times a week my Series3 DVR has begun to freeze. It is like the program is paused. The amber light on the front blinks when I use the remote so the DVR is still registering commands from the remote control although nothing happens on the TV. When this happens I need to unplug the tivo and plug it back in.

This happens a few times a week. Anyone know if this would be a bad hard drive, or would this be a more complex issue having to do with the motherboard. I just don't want to spend money on a new hard drive if that will not fix the issue.

Thanks for your help.
jdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs View Post
Hi,

Several times a week my Series3 DVR has begun to freeze. It is like the program is paused. The amber light on the front blinks when I use the remote so the DVR is still registering commands from the remote control although nothing happens on the TV. When this happens I need to unplug the tivo and plug it back in.

This happens a few times a week. Anyone know if this would be a bad hard drive, or would this be a more complex issue having to do with the motherboard. I just don't want to spend money on a new hard drive if that will not fix the issue.

Thanks for your help.
Before you proceed with further diagnosis, you need to make sure the power supply isn't falling victim to "capacitor plague", as has happened in so many Series 2 and Series 3 platform TiVos.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
jdubs

This has been going on for close to a year now, but I was finally at the point where I can't take it anymore so I posted this. Could it still be capicitor plague or would my Tivo have failed by now if it was? The only reason I ask is because I am comfortable replacing a hard drive, but not replacing or even inspecting capacitors.
jdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs View Post
This has been going on for close to a year now, but I was finally at the point where I can't take it anymore so I posted this. Could it still be capicitor plague or would my Tivo have failed by now if it was? The only reason I ask is because I am comfortable replacing a hard drive, but not replacing or even inspecting capacitors.
You have to take the top off to get to the hard drive.

While you have it off, you can scan the power supply with the old Mark I calibrated eyeball.

If you don't see any sign of leakage or even a slight bulge on the top of any of the caps or any pushing out of the plug in the bottom, you might still have caps going bad, but if you do detect any of the above mentioned symptoms, you can be sure you have a power supply going bad.

The good news is that it's a cheap and easy fix.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
kikalita

Oh no. I'm in the market for an S3 and have heard good things about them. Never knew this is an issue with them.
kikalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikalita View Post
Oh no. I'm in the market for an S3 and have heard good things about them. Never knew this is an issue with them.
It's an issue with all S2s and S3s.

As is the original hard drive getting old and worn out.

The good news is it's relatively easy and inexpensive to fix.

What part of the country are you in and do you have any TiVos already?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
kucharsk

I had this same freezing problem and ignored it.

Then, whether power supply-induced or not, my hard drive ate itself and I found several bulged capacitors.

So in short, if you care about your saved recordings and/or hard drive, I'd replace the caps in your power supply now.
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote