TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
pwhite8314

Question Considering a Return to Tivo/Roamio & TWC (DFW Area)

I've been a long time Tivo user, but sporadically depending on location and TV provider. I've just read this thread about a similar dilemma in NC, and I can certainly attest to TWC being as useless, if not more so, in the DFW area. Anyway, I've already switched to TWC for cable, it's saving me about $60 a month compared to DirecTV for TV, and TWC for internet. THe cable box is just horrible, of the 200 channels we get, I only care about the HD ones, and probably only about 10 of those, but there's no way to filter the channel listing. That's one of the many annoyances. The past week I've seen all kinds of issues with my internet connection (i.e. since they enabled the cable stream), but it does now appear to be stabilized. So, as I've been out of this game for a while, a few questions, some of which might be DFW-area specific:

- The last time we were with TWC, we had a Premier, and the cable-card process caused all kinds of issues. Once it was working it was fine, but getting there resulted in many visits and many, many calls. Has this improved now? The TiVo site indicates I just go collect a cablecard from the TWC office, pop it in, activate it, and I'm good to go....can it really be that easy?

- I assume there's no current deals for former TiVo customers, aside from calling them and asking?

- Since the Stream is so limited outside of the house with the TWC feed, I assume the correct choice would be the basic Roamio, since I still have the goal of cutting the cord at some point, and the Pro model does not support OTA (?)

- Is Amazon the best place to buy currently? I'm always in Costco, but don't recall seeing Roamio in there.

Anything else I should worry about?

Thanks, Pete
pwhite8314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhite8314 View Post
- The last time we were with TWC, we had a Premier, and the cable-card process caused all kinds of issues. Once it was working it was fine, but getting there resulted in many visits and many, many calls. Has this improved now? The TiVo site indicates I just go collect a cablecard from the TWC office, pop it in, activate it, and I'm good to go....can it really be that easy?
I can't say specifically about DFW, but I'm on TWC in Raleigh, NC and the CableCard process was pretty easy. When I got my Roamio about 3 months ago I went down to the local TWC office and picked up a CableCard. Once I got it installed in the Roamio, I called the TWC CableCard hotline to pair the card. The entire pairing process only took about 5 minutes over the phone. The people at Time Warner's dedicated CableCard number do seem to actually know what they are doing when it comes to CableCards, unlike everyone else at Time Warner Cable.

Quote:
- Since the Stream is so limited outside of the house with the TWC feed, I assume the correct choice would be the basic Roamio, since I still have the goal of cutting the cord at some point, and the Pro model does not support OTA (?)
Yes, if you ever want to switch to OTA, the Roamio basic is your only option. Neither the Plus nor the Pro models have an OTA tuner.

Quote:
- I assume there's no current deals for former TiVo customers, aside from calling them and asking?
It never hurts to call and ask. Today over in the Mini forum, someone posted that they called up and asked if there were any deals on the Mini and TiVo sold them one for $49.99. And there is always the "PLSR" code to get $100 off on a lifetime subscription on the Roamio.

Quote:
- Is Amazon the best place to buy currently? I'm always in Costco, but don't recall seeing Roamio in there.
I think in the Roamio deals thread, someone mentioned seeing Roamios on sale at Costco a couple weeks ago. During the holidays, Amazon had the Roamio basic for $149, but it looks like they're back up to $179. That's probably the best you'll do at the moment on the basic.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-17-2014 at 04:34 PM.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
djev

I know the Fort Worth Costco doesn't carry the Tivo.

http://marchmayhem.tivo.com/2014/ Save up to $75 on a Roamio by playing the game.

We have Charter over on the west side of the Metroplex so I can't help with any of your TWC questions.
djev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
pwhite8314

Awesome, that just got me $75 off a Roamio - thanks! Guess I need to go pay TWC a visit then....
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

I cut the TWC TV cord in Dallas last fall. I have two Premieres w/ota and TWC Internet. In the year and nine months I dealt with cable cards and tuning adapters I went through six running adapters. Many truck rolls were required. I recently had to have a truck roll for internet. It seems TWC in Dallas can't maintain a consistent signal. Too weak or too hot, wait a few weeks it'll change again. The Times they corrupted the database and I lost authorization on one of the two cable cards. Add too that their frequent billing mistakes. TWC TV in Dallas is a nightmare, period.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
pwhite8314

Agreed! In fact, the latest tech just left after out signal went out last night. Just before Xmas they ran a new cable (3rd time, and 3rd time they've sliced through my irrigation system), and I switched to their modem, ONLY so they quit blaming my gear.

Since then, it's actually been stable, until they turned on the cable TV feed last week. Since then it's been up and down many, many times. The tech today was actually pretty good, so we'll see....the Roamio is due later this week, and I recall all the issues the last time around with the cablecard, hopefully it won't be that bad, otherwise we might end up cutting the cable as well. 90% of our viewing is OTA, Netflix and Hulu, but that other 10% (HGTV, Comedy Central) is pretty much the only reason we now have cable. We have HBO as part of the bundle, and that's nice to have too, but could certainly live without it. (caveat: my words are my own ,but not always representative of my wife's views :-) )
Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
pwhite8314

Got my Roamio - yay!

Plugged it in, but DOA - boo.

So waiting for the replacement to arrive, but I did get the c/card and box from the local TWC office without any drama.