TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
midson

Amamzon Prime Instant Video

The firmware on my Sony Blu-Ray was recently updated, which added closed captions to Amazon Prime Instant video. This was a must for my wife and we've been watching more thru that service because of it. I really hope TiVo adds it to the Roamio and minis in the near future (with a CC option of course). It's the only time (other than actually watching a DVD/Blu-Ray disc) I have to use something other than my TiVo for video viewing.
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
brshoemak

Highly doubtful it will support Prime Instant Video pretty much ever. Amazon appears to be working on their own set top box so they will have very little incentive to spend the time and money on updating the app to provide free (under Prime) content.

The current Tivo Amazon Instant Video setup only works for paid content which makes them money and I'm sure Amazon is happy to support it.

btw, I'm a huge Prime user so I would love to see support. I currently have a Tivo, Chromecast, Blu-ray player and Vizio television - only the Vizio supports Prime Instant Video and its interface is pretty terrible.
brshoemak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brshoemak View Post
btw, I'm a huge Prime user so I would love to see support. I currently have a Tivo, Chromecast, Blu-ray player and Vizio television - only the Vizio supports Prime Instant Video and its interface is pretty terrible.
You should get a Roku.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
midson

I for one want one box for everything. More boxes equals more clutter, more wires, more inputs, more hassle and less wife acceptance factor. TiVo is close to that for me now. Amazon Prime is all that's missing for me.
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
brshoemak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
You should get a Roku.
Yeah, I know a Roku will do it but that's yet another A/V device to plug into my receiver and try to teach the wife - that's the learning curve that can't be overcome. The new Roku Stick comes out soon which is very similar to the Chromecast and will do Prime also. I could replace the Chromecast, but I JUST got it a week ago and my wife is already in love with it - and she hates technology with a passion.

This is what I want: A Roku (Stick) that supports all major streaming services including Prime Instant video, that comes with a backlit remote with a quality backlit QWERTY keyboard on the back - for about $60-70.

EDIT: Yeah, what midson said.
brshoemak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
elwaylite

My speed sucks, and the PQ of the downloaded file is actually better than streaming. I wish more services allowed you to download the entire show/movie as an encrypted file...
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by midson View Post
I for one want one box for everything. More boxes equals more clutter, more wires, more inputs, more hassle and less wife acceptance factor. TiVo is close to that for me now. Amazon Prime is all that's missing for me.
Same here, although I wouldn't mind HBO GO along with Prime Streaming.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
HBO Go would be an excellent option. I feel that we would be more likely to see this offered on the Opera TV Store before a "native" Tivo app like Pandora/Spotify.

That being said, I hooked up my PS3 once again to the same TV as my Roamio Plus in order to take advantage of the new HBO Go app on Playstation for the time being. Best of both worlds!
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by midson View Post
I picked up a Sony BDP-S5100 blu-ray player for our bedroom. Not only does it play discs, but it has all of the streaming services I'm interested in, including Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Vudu, MLB.tv, Netflix, etc. It also is dlna certified, so I can access the media that's on my home server (including kmttg converted Tivo recordings). For my money, it's as close to the "everything in one box" that I found. It's sitting right next to a Tivo, so I'm only using 2 inputs. Thanks to Google and Apple having their own stores, there will never be a perfect solution (even if Tivo adds a BD unit in a model).
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
HBO Go would be an excellent option.
Well, I guess I'm just back to Amazon Prime Streaming. I got an email today that Xfinity On Demand now has all seasons of all shows of HBO, so that eliminates my need for HBO GO.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
poppagene
User

Quote:
You should get a Roku.
misread
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #12
humbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
That being said, I hooked up my PS3 once again to the same TV as my Roamio Plus in order to take advantage of the new HBO Go app on Playstation for the time being. Best of both worlds!
I tried that too, but unfortunately Comcast/Xfinity won't authenticate HBO Go on the PS3.

Quote:
I got an email today that Xfinity On Demand now has all seasons of all shows of HBO, so that eliminates my need for HBO GO.
laria, did they say that was immediately effective? Because I'm not seeing that right now. And it seems that XOD doesn't include all the movies that are on HBO Go.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
laria, did they say that was immediately effective? Because I'm not seeing that right now. And it seems that XOD doesn't include all the movies that are on HBO Go.
It was just about TV shows. It says:

Quote:
All of your favorite
HBO® shows – now on your TV

XFINITY TV Customers: HBO® is bigger and better than ever.
Watch every show, every season and every episode with XFINITY On Demand™.
This is now included with your service and is just another way we are working
to make your XFINITY experience great.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
humbb

This is interesting. When I use the XOD app on the Roamio Pro, I can't find shows like "Deadwood" or "The Wire" on the HBO Series menu. When I use the Search screen, a Deadwood episode comes up as a "Watch now from..." using XFINITY VOD HD selection. When I select that, I get the "Please Wait..." dialog followed by an ERR-2 error dialog and an invitation to visit Comcast.com/help and a "We're sorry, but we're experiencing an issue at the moment" message.

This is still going on since I first tried last night. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's local?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
laria
Librocubicularist

I haven't actually tried it, just got the email... we still haven't paired our cable card after getting the Roamio the day after Christmas, so I still can't use the Xfinity app.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #16
mattack

Does this mean the iOS app, or only via the cable directly?

As a single data point contrary, Bored to Death has only 3 random episodes listed in the Xfinity app..

Not like I need even more choices of stuff to watch though!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #17
laria
Librocubicularist

It is my understanding from what I've read on here that the Xfinity apps like the one on Xbox do not have the full range of Xfinity VOD available. But that the app in the TiVo is the same as if you had a cable box.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
mdm08033

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Affirmative! Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Go are the tentpole streaming services for over the air cord cutters.

I never warmed up to the iffy picture quality, stereo sound and mandatory commercials on Hulu Plus. I much prefer getting my over the air network programming from my antenna where i get perfect AQ/PQ AND a skip button.

I agree with the predictions that the pending arrival of the Amazon branded streaming device puts the final nail in the coffin of Amazon Prime Streaming on a TiVo device.

Cheers, Michael
mdm08033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #19
pele2014

I'm new to TiVo, first-time poster to this forum, and agree with others eager to see Amazon Prime availability. In addition to a basic Roamio DVR, I went for the Mini, and see that the Amazon Instant Video app on the DVR, cruddy as it is, is missing from the Mini. A TiVo tech support person told me the reason for that unlike Netflix, which streams, Amazon Instant downloads. That means, she said, that if you download content from Amazon to your DVR it will appear on the Mini under "My shows."

I've read as well that Amazon is developing its own set top box. Some have suggested this may mean Amazon is not interested in working with TiVo to allow Prime members to access Prime content on a competitor's box. That would be a very shortsighted strategy. Just as Microsoft is developing Office for iPad, and Apple has iTunes for Windows, and Amazon has Kindle apps for iOS devices, Amazon is too smart, I'd hope, to alienate all the Prime members who are also TiVo customers and want to see Prime content available on their TiVo boxes.
--
update:

Since posting the above earlier today I chatted with an Amazon rep who said: "Amazon prime videos are not available on TiVo since TiVo only supports downloads and not streaming."
Now obviously, that's not true, since Amazon supports Netflix, which streams. In a follow-up email, the Amazon rep wrote: "Because streaming is not supported at this time, you can't stream Prime Instant Video titles on your TiVo."
Note the passive voice, such that it's ambiguous WHO does not support streaming. Clearly TiVo supports streaming for Netflix, so either TiVo is not supporting it for Instant Video, or Amazon is not making it available for streaming -- or the two just can't/don't want to come to terms. Or???

Last edited by pele2014 : 03-21-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: update
pele2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The latest rumor version is that the Amazon "set top box" is actually a USB dongle similar to the Google ChromeCast.

Hard to imagine Amazon has much incentive to improve the Instant Video experience on Tivo's. Tivo probably accounts for an extremely tiny percentage of their video business. I guess one could hope the Roamio will be popular enough to change that.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #21
dbattaglia001

See this excerpt from a British publication. So seems to confirm speculation here that it is Amazon that's not interest in getting Prime on TiVo. Oh well.

Virgin Media talking to Amazon about taking its video-on-demand service

Tara Conlan

Tara Conlan

theguardian.com

730 words

21 March 2014

Guardian.co.uk
(c) 2014 Guardian News & Media Limited. All rights reserved

Tom Mockridge confirms cable network's interest in Prime Instant Video, which recently bought third series of Ripper Street. By Tara Conlan

Virgin Media has held talks with Amazon about putting its video-on-demand service Prime Instant Video on the cable network and is " certainly open" to the idea, according to Virgin's chief executive officer Tom Mockridge

Last year Virgin struck a deal to show Netflix programmes such as Breaking Bad and House of Cards via an app on Virgin Media's TiVo set-top boxes.

Speaking at a Broadcasting Press Guild event in London, Mockridge was asked if he had had discussions to carry shows from Prime Instant Video, which recently announced it has snapped up the third series of BBC drama Ripper Street.

Mockridge said that, "the honest answer is we have talked to them" and "we are certainly open to it", but " it takes two to tango" and said there is nothing to report currently as Prime is still "working out" their proposition since online retailer Amazon rebranded the former LoveFilm VoD service and folded it into its website.
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #22
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Hard to imagine Amazon has much incentive to improve the Instant Video experience on Tivo's. Tivo probably accounts for an extremely tiny percentage of their video business. I guess one could hope the Roamio will be popular enough to change that.
I think the difference between Amazon and TiVo is that Amazon wants to be on as many devices as it can even if there's a certain redundancy -- if you're gonna support 422* device, supporting 423* devices really isn't that big an issue. Plus if you can support 422* devices, supporting more probably isn't that difficult at all, either, as it's unlikely you're tied to just about any specific platform/API/interface/hardware design. TiVo generally half-implements something then moves on, content to demonstrate it can be done, but not willing to make any commitment or worry about "details." To them, the Amazon support is feature-complete, and to TiVo they're even demonstrating their "commitment" by not having removed it from the Roamio feature set.

*422 is a made-up number but is intended to present the idea that Amazon Instant Video is supported on countless devices, both newest and older versions, and continues to provide updates across many of those platforms as new features are introduced. 423 is 422 + 1.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #23
mrizzo80

Hasn't Dave Zatz repeatedly said an Amazon instant app is coming?
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #24
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I think the difference between Amazon and TiVo is that Amazon wants to be on as many devices as it can even if there's a certain redundancy --.
It's on my Sony tv, Blu-ray player, PS3 and Roku, is it on Chromecast? I can't remember I'll have to fire it up and take a look. Personally I think Chromecast sucks. I guess it would be nice if Prime were on my Roamio but I can live without it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #25
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
It's on my Sony tv, Blu-ray player, PS3 and Roku, is it on Chromecast? I can't remember I'll have to fire it up and take a look. Personally I think Chromecast sucks. I guess it would be nice if Prime were on my Roamio but I can live without it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Redunancy is good, one box that does everything is one box that does nothing when it crashes, and sooner or later all computer based devices will crash at least once and when you really don't want it to happen.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #26
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm08033 View Post
Affirmative! Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Go are the tentpole streaming services for over the air cord cutters.
You can't be a cord cutter and (legally) get HBO Go. They don't offer stand alone subscriptions to people who aren't already cable subs. But you probably knew that
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 AM   #27
humbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
This is interesting. When I use the XOD app on the Roamio Pro, I can't find shows like "Deadwood" or "The Wire" on the HBO Series menu. When I use the Search screen, a Deadwood episode comes up as a "Watch now from..." using XFINITY VOD HD selection. When I select that, I get the "Please Wait..." dialog followed by an ERR-2 error dialog and an invitation to visit Comcast.com/help and a "We're sorry, but we're experiencing an issue at the moment" message.

This is still going on since I first tried last night. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's local?
It looks like all the HBO series/seasons are now available on XOD. I had a feeling it would happen tonight as just about all of the previously available series had expiration dates of 3/24. Seems like Comcast is getting ready for the Xfinity OD "Watchathon" starting Monday.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:10 AM   #28
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
You can't be a cord cutter and (legally) get HBO Go. They don't offer stand alone subscriptions to people who aren't already cable subs. But you probably knew that
The "legality" of sharing HBO Go passwords is a bit of a gray area. The HBO CEO doesn't seem to mind very much if people do it, so why should anyone else care?

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/17/ceo-thi...eat-promotion/
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #29
tenthplanet

Quote:
The "legality" of sharing HBO Go passwords is a bit of a gray area. The HBO CEO doesn't seem to mind very much if people do it, so why should anyone else care?

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/17/ceo-thi...eat-promotion/
Because grey areas are borderline morality areas, just because someone may look the other way doesn't mean you entitled to steal service.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #30
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Because grey areas are borderline morality areas, just because someone may look the other way doesn't mean you entitled to steal service.
Exactly. The CEO may feel that on balance it leads to more subs. And he may be right, for now. Otoh of there were one sub and 25 million people using that one password for HBO Go I'm fairly certain he'd feel otherwise.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote